(Archived) Import Outlook Emails To Evernote

tfraser

I'm not sure, but can you drag an email onto a folder on your desktop that is designated as an auto import folder in evernote?

If nobody else responds, try that with some test emails first. It would take a while, but?

Or can Outlook export the emails to a text of PDF to an Evernote import folder, etc.?

Or look for an Outlook third part utility that will?

Anybody else have suggestions?

Evernote used to install a "send to EN" button in Outlook. I think it still may but am not sure. When it works, it's great for sending emails from Outlook to EN. But it can be finicky b/c sometimes it disappears. I used to use it VERY often & I'd been fighting with it since EN 3.5 & once it disappears, there are only a couple of things you can try to bring it back. Once those options are exhausted, that's pretty much it. I've spent several hours researching this problem & discussing with EN devs & it's something that we were never able to resolve. So I've switched to simply forwarding emails from Outlook to Evernote or setting up auto forwarding. IE, on my ISP's website, I have my work emails & emails from my husband auto forwarded to EN. I think Outlook also allows you to auto forward, based upon rules you would set up.

You can find your EN email address by logging onto the web client & going to the settings page.

We do have a Send to Evernote button in Outlook. It depends on your Operating System and version of Outlook whether or not it will install, though. It will not install on Windows XP. It does not install on Outlook versions less than 2007. It also doesn't like 64 bit versions.

Thanks for the clarification, Heather. However, on my Old Dog computer, I have Windows XP, Outlook 2003 and an "add to Evernote 4" button in Outlook. The version of EN on that computer is 4.5.2.5680 (202095) Prerelease. I can select three emails & click the button & it works just fine. The dialog box appears to let me select the notebook & tags. I click "add notes" & off they go to Evernote! (I did three of them just now.) However, that's not my main computer where my email "source of all truths" is located, which would be Big Dog. Big Dog has the same software setup (Windows XP - I know...), Outlook 2003 (I know...) and EN 4.5.2.5680 (202095) Prerelease but no "add to EN" button. But it did used to have it. Sometime between October 2010 & maybe December 2010 (I don't recall the exact time frame), it went AWOL again. Additionally, I've had this problem back in 3.5 as well. I had a fairly lengthy dialog with some EN devs, including Dave E & we were never able to get it resolved on 3.5. So when it went AWOL in EN4, I just adopted another method. I either move a copy of my PST file to Old Dog & do it from there. Or I forward the emails directly to my EN account.

We don't support Outlook 2003. That's why you can't get it reinstalled.

Some people have been able to put it back on via registry hacks, but we've tried our best to get our clipper to sense OL2003 and keep it from installing.

It causes some really, really, really nasty bugs in 2003.

Evernote clipper for outlook worked beautifully. I had to chop it up or outlook would stop responding but I could do 300-500 emails at a time - and now I have 5k notes moved over! woho!

Yeah, that EN Outlook clipper is awesome. Which is why I miss it so much... :rolleyes: Next week, I'm going to hit my manager up for a newer version of Outlook.

• 11 months later...

We still have outlook 2003 at my company :( But I managed to export old emails by temporarily moving mails to an @evernote map, select every mail in that map, set the category to Evernote and then apply a rule to forward every mail with category Evernote to my evernote mail address. I then move the emails from the @evernote map to my @archiveEN map.

I have been emailing notes to myself for years = maybe 2500 notes. They are sitting in their own folder in outlook and are emails. How can I get the email content into evernote?

If you can get the add to Evernote button in your Outlook, it will work like a charm. BUT let me issue a word of warning. You need to play with it first because it opens a new note for each email added and if you add all 2500 at once, I expect you will be unhappy. I think you can turn that feature off and I think I'd experiment with finding out what number of notes you can add at a time without locking your whole system up.

We don't support Outlook 2003. That's why you can't get it reinstalled.

Some people have been able to put it back on via registry hacks, but we've tried our best to get our clipper to sense OL2003 and keep it from installing.

It causes some really, really, really nasty bugs in 2003.

Holy smokes!!! I've got my "send to Evernote" button back after adding another internal drive to my computer & clean installing Windows 7 on the new drive. This is EN 4.5.8.7356 & Outlook 2003. Just FYI... And what kinds of nasty bugs should I be looking out for? I don't need any more computer issues at this time... I'm still in the process of getting all my apps & devices up & running in Win7 & dealing with my EN issues I reported last month. I can probably upgrade Office but it may not be for a couple of months.

• 3 months later...

so i was just introduced to evernote a week ago and decided to set it up today, i saw this thread and i have outlook 2007 and xp, so i uninstalled and installed the old version as suggested and made sure the add in is checked, but i still don't see the button...where should i be looking for it? any other trouble shooting tips? so excited and want this to work and don't honestly care about syncing, just need this one time import to get me started....either that or a method to mass import memos straight from my blackberry torch :(

so i was just introduced to evernote a week ago and decided to set it up today, i saw this thread and i have outlook 2007 and xp, so i uninstalled and installed the old version as suggested and made sure the add in is checked, but i still don't see the button...where should i be looking for it? any other trouble shooting tips? so excited and want this to work and don't honestly care about syncing, just need this one time import to get me started....either that or a method to mass import memos straight from my blackberry torch :(

It's in the Outlook tool bar at the top. Or select one or more emails, right click & it's an option.

Or, you can use a rule:

http://discussion.evernote.com/topic/26997-ms-outlook-rule-to-move-a-massive-number-of-email-messages-from-outlook-2007-to-evernote-4/

With some of the upgrades Evernote seems to miss off adding the 'Add to Evernote' button.

In Outlook 2007 check the following:

Click 'File' tab

Options

Add ins

Down the bottom where it says 'Manage' make sure 'COM Add-Ins' is selected

Go

Make sure 'Evernote,Outlook' is selected.

Best regards

Chris

• Level 5*

One thing that anyone ought to be able to do with Outlook is:

* Assign a new category to the emails that you want to send to Evernote. Perhaps, say, "Evernote"?

* Make a rule that forwards all notes with category "Evernote" to your Evernote email.

* Run the rule.

It would be a good idea to send all the notes to a special notebook so that you can identify them for tagging and reassignment purposes. Not exactly sure how to manage that.

In Outlook (this is written using 2007), one of the most useful features that not a lot of folks know about is 'Quick Step'

From the 'Home' page of Outlook look at the top middle section and you will see a block called 'Quick Steps'

Click the arrow below the 'down' arrow on the right and then click on 'New Quick Step'

Now select 'Forward To'

Give a name to the quick step, mine is called 'Evernote Inbox'

Add your 'Evernote' email address followed by the @ and the name of your 'Notebook'. Mine is obviously called 'Inbox'. Add any tags with the #

Click 'Options'

Then 'Add Action'

'Choose An Action'

At this point I choose 'Move to folder'. This allows you to move your email to another folder in Outlook after the above task has been carried out. I put my emails in an 'archive' folder.

You will see that this one 'Quick Step' allows you to choose emails as they come in and send them to your 'Evernote Inbox Notebook' very easily. I may change the 'Notebook' destination if the email just needs storing in another folder. So for example today I renewed the insurance on my Classic Mini Convertible. I forwarded the confirmation emails via my 'Quick Step' and changed the destination to my personal 'Notebook' called 'Various'. Adding the tag '#Libby' (My Mini is known as Libby due to the registration)

I hope that helps.

Best regards

Chris

• 10 months later...

With some of the upgrades Evernote seems to miss off adding the 'Add to Evernote' button.

In Outlook 2007 check the following:

Click 'File' tab

Options

Add ins

Down the bottom where it says 'Manage' make sure 'COM Add-Ins' is selected

Go

Make sure 'Evernote,Outlook' is selected.

Best regards

Chris

Thank you Chris for posting this, it helped me resolve my issue. Fixed!

For my Outlook 2007 install it was located in:

Help Menu

Disabled Items

Select Evernote plugin

Restart Outlook

Archived