Cannot Search in Trash

allen

Searching within the Trash doesn't seem to be working. The "Search Explanation" updates correctly, but the notes don't filter (i.e. Every note in the trash is included in the result)

I am using the latest beta/prerelease version.

• 3 months later...

I have been wondering as well, about this behaviour. I deleted the wrong note by Maccident, and now it is lost in the swamp of hundreds of notes in the trash bin and no way to search for it.

Just go to the trash & sort by updated date to find a recently deleted note.

I did try that earlier, but no luck. "Updated" is not affected by the delete. BUT when I had a second look a bit later, I noticed the "by Deleted" option. That worked fine to get hold of recent stuff. But thanks for the tip anyway :)

I did try that earlier, but no luck. "Updated" is not affected by the delete. BUT when I had a second look a bit later, I noticed the "by Deleted" option. That worked fine to get hold of recent stuff. But thanks for the tip anyway :)

Yes, the updated date gets changed to the date the note was deleted. I just confirmed this. AFAIK, there is no "deleted on" date. This is the Windows client section . Are you talking about another client?

Yes, the updated date gets changed to the date the note was deleted. I just confirmed this.

Deleted Date appears to be a client specific attribute. I just checked my Trash and only some of my notes in Trash have Deleted Date attribute set.

Testing...

• 5 months later...
  • 1 year later...

I came up with a workaround for this that others might find useful, until the Evernote gods decide to hear our pleas:

1. Create a new notebook.  I call mine "Trash-searchable".
  2. Copy all notes from the Trash to this new notebook.  Do not move them; if you do, you lose the notebook history of the note.  This is important if you want to restore a note to the original notebook location.
  3. Switch to this new notebook and select all notes.  Create a new tag (CTRL + ALT + T) so that you can exclude these notes from regular searches.  I named mine "Trash-searchable" too, just to keep things simple.
  4. Voila!  Now your deleted items are searchable, and you can choose to include them or not by using the tag: or -tag: modifiers.

A few things to consider:

• You will need to manually import notes into the searchable trash notebook and update the tags manually for this to work, but at least stuff in there is searchable.  And if you want to restore from the trash, you now have a much better idea of what you are looking for.
  • You could also transfer notes directly into this folder, but hitting 'delete' is so darned convenient.  If you can remember to do it every time, you would preserve your tags, but not your notebook history.
  • 11 months later...

It can't be that hard to add a tick that includes trash in search results.

No one said it was. But in addition to the tick, of course the coding would need to be changed to search the trash. So it's simply not a matter of adding a tick to the UI. That's probably not all that hard to do, either. But regardless of how hard or easy something would be to add, it just may be that Evernote doesn't want to add that (or any other long sought after & requested feature). For whatever the reason. Their app & their choice as to what to add. Or not.

Archived