Desktop Shortcuts

jester02k

Hi all just thought Id post one of my biggest uses for EverNote.

I had a bad heart attack not to long ago and I was diagnosed as diabetic as well so I'm on mad drugs. I keep a list on Evernote of all my Drugs and Supplements there dosage and when I take them, I also have a list of all my sugar levels date and time it was taken. To make adding information to them easier or review them I use the "create shortcut" option which puts an icon on my phone's desktop for that individual list. This is a really useful option which I don't see mentioned that much do you have a shopping list or a project that you go to often on your phone one press and your there try it its really useful.

What a great idea to create a shortcut! I have Evernote in my "bar" on my laptop, so I open it and it pretty much stays that way all day.

I love this idea for managing medications. I can also see where this would be really helpful for someone who is going thru a long term treatment like chemotherapy (or helping a loved one who is.)

Great idea, thanks for sharing!

• Level 5*

Another medication-related possibility - I'm taking some blood-pressure pills, the name of which I cannot pronounce, remember or spell; but from time to time when completing forms and in consultations, someone asks "what medication are you on?". It's rather handy to have a snapshot of the box with a title or tag "pills"...

• 2 weeks later...

How do you make a shortcut? Is this on desktop? Android??

Sorry for the late reply "fumisme"

its really simple I use an android G2 phone here's the steps I use for a shortcut

1. Open Evernote.
  2. Open the main menu then all notes.
  3. Locate the note you want to shortcut.
  4. Press and hold on the note till a menu opens.
  5. Select "create Shortcut" it will show up on the desktop.

• Level 5*

You can create shortcuts for the Windows client, too:

1. Open Evernote

2. Navigate to the note that you're interested in,

3. Right click on the note, and select "Copy note Link"

4. On the Windows desktop, right-click on an empty areas, and select New / Shortcut

5. Paste into the edit control labeled "Type the location of the item", click "Next

6. Give the shortcut a new name if desired, and click Finish

You should see a shortcut with icon the familiar Evernote elephant. If you double-click on the shortcut, Evernote should open up and take you to your note.

You can do something similar to create a shortcut in a folder in Windows Explorer.

• 8 months later...

Man, each week I learn something that makes this programme even cooler. Thanks to both jefito and jester02k... now using this for my journal and my shopping list (both phone and laptop) ... PERFECT!! :)

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

anyone know how to make a note Desktop shortcut on a Mac?

It's not terribly convenient and you need to be able to edit XML files, but doable anyway. You can create your own .url or .webloc file with a plain text editor, check http://stackoverflow.com/questions/146575/crafting-webloc-file for instructions. I checked creating both types of files with a evernote:// link and it works, but the .url file is always opened by Safari, not my default browser (Firefox).

I find it easier to put a bookmark in my default web browser and use a launcher like Quicksilver or Launchbar, though.

anyone know how to make a note Desktop shortcut on a Mac?

It's not terribly convenient and you need to be able to edit XML files, but doable anyway. You can create your own .url or .webloc file with a plain text editor, check http://stackoverflow.com/questions/146575/crafting-webloc-file for instructions. I checked creating both types of files with a evernote:// link and it works, but the .url file is always opened by Safari, not my default browser (Firefox).

I find it easier to put a bookmark in my default web browser and use a launcher like Quicksilver or Launchbar, though.

That would open up the Evernote webpage right? I'd like to be able to open a note in the evernote application from a desktop shortcut.

If you use a .webloc file, the note will get opened in the Evernote desktop application right away, but if you use the .url file Safari will open and then handle the URL to the Evernote application.

In either case, the note gets finally opened in the desktop application, not in the Evernote web application. The important thing here is the evernote:// URL handler.

• 5 months later...

OH MY WORD! (That's the polite version!) I'm with Sean: I just keep finding new reasons why I love Evernote. Desktop and Android shortcuts have just made it even more useful. Also (unrelated) been importing everything I need from work's Onenote so I've got it with me whenever I need it - sad, but it makes life easier for me, and that's the name of the game :)

To Jester02K and anyone else excited about this idea:

I want to make a medication chart, symptom chart (to monitor progress) and a budget.

(I think my doctor would love a written report each time I see him).

They seem basically the same (except I cant seem to tab, odd).

The symptom chart thinking left side, top to bottom: symptoms , across the top days 1-30. Could 'x' space on that line for that day/symptom

I have been ill for a long time and like your idea.

Possible to share a visual without your personal details? Or a visual and how to?

Seems kind of like Excel-never used it-this is kind of spreadsheet-like format maybe?).

Energy is very limited, REALLY grateful for any help.

Archived