(Archived) Tab key / tabular data

Hi, Is there any way to turn off the behavior of the Tab key in the windows version?

Basically, I'd like to quickly enter some tabular data to record measurements, etc. I'm not really looking for anything fancy with rows, columns, etc. Just having the tab key actually tab between columns per line would be neat. Love the product otherwise.

Thanks!

Evernote uses HTML to render notes. In HTML, you can't mimic real tabs: the only way to do this is to use tables. Thus, we decided to make Tab/Shift+Tab behavior consistent with Microsoft Word application where it can be used to indent/unindent blocks, which makes those keybaord combinations especially useful for editing multi-level lists.

Us OS X users (or at least this one) still don't have a good way for this. Blocknote is Win only. Any ideas for us MacHeads? (This next is slightly off topic, but if I could just have bullets, I'd be mostly happy. Bullets at least work in the OS X client once they are already there, so I don't really understand why we can't add them directly when we can already copy them and hit return to add another in a list. )

-e-

Us OS X users (or at least this one) still don't have a good way for this. Blocknote is Win only. Any ideas for us MacHeads? (This next is slightly off topic, but if I could just have bullets, I'd be mostly happy. Bullets at least work in the OS X client once they are already there, so I don't really understand why we can't add them directly when we can already copy them and hit return to add another in a list. )

I don't have a Mac at hands currently, but you should be able to do the same with any external HTML editor available on Mac. You can create different tables in such editor, save them onto your desktop, and drag-n-drop any file to Evernote to create a new note from this template.

• 4 months later...
You can currently insert tables into a note by copy-pasting it from somewhere else. We recommend using the freeware http://www.blocknote.net editor for that. We also have long-term tasks to improve built-in editing capabilites of our clients.

I am a huge fan of just how easy it is to create tables in OneNote. I hope that you'll take a leaf out of Microsoft's book here, they do get some things right. :)

When you're writing notes, speed is the key, so something that requires you to go to another application, or even use a menu is going to be a fail in my book.

• 1 month later...

I am a huge fan of Blocknote and have been using it for years now as my primary document editor . . . . mainly because I can click 'email' and the document sends as an actual html email without the need for creating a fresh email and remembering the 'attachment' like I used to due when using Word back in the dark ages.

Anyway, it seems to me that the rulers display in Evernote EXACTLY the same as Blocknote. So much so that I suspect the Blocknote engine is buried in there.

My question is . .PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE can we not just have ALL the functionality of Blocknote? Cells, grids, ability to assign images behind cells, colours of cells, page breaks for printing etc etc.

I know Andrew no longer develops Blocknote . .which is a hug shame . .but it would be nice to have it in Evernote.

One feature especially . . . when launching an email, the document should launch Outlook Express (or whatever)n exactly as Blocknote does . .ie, cleanly without the Evernote 'frame' . .even if this is just for Premium Users . .I would pay lots for this!

Keep up the brilliant work.

Archived