(Archived) REQUEST: option to reduce size of snapshots

Michcard57

Images shot from the i-Phone camera directly into evernote are 1936x2592x24bpp of approx 2Mb, requiring intensive use of bandwidth when retrieving them online. Many of the subjects I picture could be easily stored at half or a quarter of that size.

I currently have 2 options :

a- shooting from the i-Phone camera app then compress image into photosort, export it to the roll and finally catch in evernote

b- on windows desktop, edit the note copy and paste image into irfanview, reduce it and replace the original image by this one

Both process are rather complex and time consuming.

Could you please add an option to reduce the size? The best place in my opinion would be on the screen that appears right after the shot is made (Restart / use) where "use" could be enriched with resizing options.

Thanks for your attention.

Michel (Switzerland)

+1 - along with the lack of texexpander support it is the most glaring ommission on the mobile version

However - you do have 2 other options - Fastever Snap which will take a lower resolution photo and import direct to evernote, bypassing your photo gallery if you wish, and EC plus which also lets you crop pictures before uploading to evernote. I use both regularly. It wouldn't suprise me to hear there are other apps doing the same thing.

Thanks Patnpm for these hints. Can save a bit of time.

Still, there are many occasions where I just wish to picture a scene (no need for resolution) and immediately tag it for later use.

Examples : bus stopping next to an add, shopping, Wine tasting...

Evernote allows that fast process, however the frustration comes when trying to retrieve notes where each image takes 30 seconds to appear. In addition, as mentionned by "Everynote" quota can be reached too early even with a premium account.

patnpm - I tried for a couple of days Fastever snap and must admit once you get familiar with it, it's quite doing the job. It's still not as flexible as if it were directly in evernote but provides a much better solution that was I used to do. Thanks.

• 3 weeks later...

This becomes increasingly important as the camera resolutions increase.

I noticed that the new "Food" application does both cropping and optional size reduction of images. I hope this is coming soon to the main app.

• 3 months later...

Great suggestion! The other issue I have been wondering is why Evernote hasn't added a PDF engine. Most times I do not want to add an actual JPG, but would like to upload a PDF of a business card or receipt. Right now I have to use a separate app to generate the PDF and then import this into Evernote. Would be some much better is this functionality was added to the core Evernote app.

Great suggestion! The other issue I have been wondering is why Evernote hasn't added a PDF engine. Most times I do not want to add an actual JPG, but would like to upload a PDF of a business card or receipt. Right now I have to use a separate app to generate the PDF and then import this into Evernote. Would be some much better is this functionality was added to the core Evernote app.

Evernote seems to prefer the option to hand off "reinventing the wheel" type tasks to apps that already exist. Makes perfect sense, so they can concentrate on the core functionality. Also, it allows flexibility. IE, one user may want to use Photoshop to edit images, another use prefers (now defunct) Paint Shop Pro & yet another user may prefer "Paint".

Evernote seems to prefer the option to hand off "reinventing the wheel" type tasks to apps that already exist. Makes perfect sense, so they can concentrate on the core functionality. Also, it allows flexibility. IE, one user may want to use Photoshop to edit images, another use prefers (now defunct) Paint Shop Pro & yet another user may prefer "Paint".

Thanks BurgersNFries for this comment. Actually it illustrates what I tend to do since I posted this request, thanks to multitasking.

Example : someone shows me an interesting object and comments it.

Before I considered multitasking, my usual challenge in this type of context was to decide which media to use. Pictures? Voice? I thought that the only way to get all these immediately inside one note was to record and take pictures through i-Phone EN's new note interface, resulting in a relatively huge note. Hence my wish to be able to reduce the size right after each shot.

Thanks to multitasking, I open EN, start a new note. then I start the voice recording. While it is recording, I double-click on the i-Phone button to change app., select Fastsnap, picture in low res images (option "save photos in camera" activated), then return to the note (audio is still recording) and collect from the film roll the lowres images just made. I finally save the note. I can obtain 2Mb versus 10Mb for a 3 minutes audio and 5 pics inducing more efficient upload/download duration. I just noticed that voice recording's last seconds were dropped, probably because of multitasking processing that delayed the recorder response time. That can be easily compensated by allowing extra seconds before stopping the recording.

There are probably other ways to experiment, e.g. hand written notes (app "UYH" use your handwriting) saved as images to the roll and linked to EN while recording, or e-mail content copied and pasted...

This said, I would be delighted if the enhancement required in this topic would appear in a future version.

I do think this topic should be risen the concerns as much as possible to have the ability of choosing different uploading images size, like in dropbox, there are 3 different options, for those who want to upload the original, for those who doesn't care original size but capacity effective uploading, come on, let's do something, Evernote team!

+me

I want so often fast snapshots - and it is not good when I have first to click a second app - than fast will go slow again

PLEASE integrate it in the Evernote app!!!

• Level 5*
Would someone from EN team like to give us an opinion about chances to see it in ?

This is a user forum, and Evernote staff, while they appear to read every post and welcome every suggestion, do not always reply. In general, Evernote doesn't give out feature roadmaps or timetables.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Level 5*

currently, evernote allows us to rotate images on the mac and windows client. however, this results in a double upload, once for the original, and once for the rotated version. you can avoid this by turning off the sync while you rotate.

if you want to avoid the double upload, you could do the same thing with resizing, except sync the file first, save to the desktop, and shrink it using some app on the mac/windows system. this kind of stuff is relatively painless on a desktop.

this seems the best workflow, because even if you shrink it, evernote may not provide the correct orientation, because it does not read the enex data.

Well, I am happy to learn that Evernote doesn't allow to resize pictures so that I stop trying to find the way to do it. Knowing that I have to go to a different app just to resize pictures is disappointing, though.

• 1 year later...

I am new to Evernote and I like it.

I ran into this issue today when I emailed one of my notes to my sisters. It turns out the email was 16 MB. If the app is designed around the concept of post-it notes, it makes no sense *not* to compress every picture that I attach to a note. I found a setting under "Note editor" on my iPhone called image size. And even when I set it to small, Evernote does not compress pictures that I import from the camera roll. The way I worked around this issue was cumbersome. I sent each of the pics (total of 4) to myself as email attachments, from my iPhone to my Windows laptop. In the process, the iPhone asks you to select a level of compression. Then I saved all four pics on my laptop and attached them to the Evernote. This is a ridiculous workaround that shouldn't be necessary. Am I missing something? 

Archived