(Archived) Anyone planning on getting a Kindle Fire & using Evernote on it?

BurgersNFries

• Level 5*

My wife & I are thinking about giving each other e-book readers this year, and I am trying to push towards Kindles. Not sure whether Kindle Fire is going to make the cut -- it's tempting but I would like a longer battery life.

I have a K3, or Kindle Keyboard,as it seems to be called now. I love, love, LOVE it. Combined with the Kindle lighted cover, I feel fully ereader empowered. I can read in sun light or in the darkest of nights. There have been a few times when we've been traveling & I've had much of the day to myself. So I arm myself with my iPhone, Kindle, Starbucks card & a few bucks & head out on foot. I can keep myself entertained for hours. And the e-ink is supposed to be better for your eyes than backlit devices. Highly recommend.

I'd like an iPad2. But I'm not ready to fork over the big bucks. Plus, it would be something I plan on carrying in my tote bag. Which means it will be susceptible to damage/loss/theft. I'd rather damage/lose/have stolen a $200 device than a $500+ device. And since I'm so in love with my Kindle, I guess that's why I'm leaning toward a Kindle Fire. Since it's WIFI only & only 6 GB available for the user, with no expansion slot, I doubt I would use it for Evernote, except at home. I do envision using it as a digital replacement for pen/paper when out & about. Or possibly taking some notes via keyboard. Then sending those notes to Evernote. But if the EN Android app worked well on the KF, that would be another deciding factor for me. Will be interesting to see, once the KF ships.

I'm thinking I should change my moniker to Gadget Addict.

@BNF

We have to get you into an Apple store. The iPad and the Kindle Fire are both good-looking products, but really not comparable. The iPad is in a whole other league...

Yeah, I know the $200 USD range tablets won't be able to compete with an iPad. I do live near an Apple Store. But with the iPad2 & now the iPhone 4S, I'm avoiding it, yes-siree. :( I remember having this dilemma when getting my first iPhone. I actually sat outside the Apple Store for ~20 minutes mentally reviewing what I think I'd use it for & trying to decide if I thought I'd really use it all that much. After a week, of course, I realized it was the right decision. Still on the fence about an iPad. If the dollar difference were less, I'd probably go with an iPad.

OTOH, perhaps I should be focusing on ways to convince my manager I need an iPad for my work. :D

• Level 5*

@BNF

We have to get you into an Apple store. The iPad and the Kindle Fire are both good-looking products, but really not comparable. The iPad is in a whole other league...

Yeah, I know the $200 USD range tablets won't be able to compete with an iPad. I do live near an Apple Store. But with the iPad2 & now the iPhone 4S, I'm avoiding it, yes-siree. ;) I remember having this dilemma when getting my first iPhone. I actually sat outside the Apple Store for ~20 minutes mentally reviewing what I think I'd use it for & trying to decide if I thought I'd really use it all that much. After a week, of course, I realized it was the right decision. Still on the fence about an iPad. If the dollar difference were less, I'd probably go with an iPad.

OTOH, perhaps I should be focusing on ways to convince my manager I need an iPad for my work. :D

With that attitude you'll never get an iPad! After all, no one "needs" it :)

I got it to read PDFs, because I use an insane amount of them. It worked spectacularly. But, then I realized (through lots of trial and error) that I can actually get stuff done with it and create content. Now I have almost completely given up the computer. I only use the laptop in the evening or on days (like today) when I have a lot of complicated formatting to do. I'd say the iPad easily does 90% of my work.

If you don't want to create content, then you might well be better off with the Kindle or some other tablet. They certainly are nice looking. But, for example, they lack bluetooth capability, which means no paired keyboards, and (in my case) no work. It also means they won't pair with the speaker system I just got in the house (nothing like doing cooking and cleaning with the iPad in the kitchen paired to a nice, rich speaker). There are lots of little things the Kindle doesn't have that you might want later. But, if you are sure you are not into this kind of stuff, then by all means, get the Fire. And, there is nothing to stop you from getting both!

I have the Kindle DX and iPad 2 :)

Archived