NaNoWriMo

I really didn't know which of the lifestyle forums to put this in, so if this isn't the right one I apologize.

So anyway, who else here is going to use Evernote to write a novel in November? I've got a whole notebook dedicated to character notes, visual references, etc. - and of course, come November 1st, I'll be doing the actual novel-writing in Evernote too.

Now, the version of Evernote I'm using (the Mac one) doesn't have a wordcount feature, so I'll have to c/p to Google Docs to keep track of my progress. But it's good to have backups in more than one place anyway.

I've failed at two NaNoWriMos so far :). I think I'm going use this year's to supercharge a novel I started at last year's NaNoWriMo, and have been continuing ever since. Probably won't submit anything though.

I've found that inspiration comes in the weirdest places, and some of my best writing has happened when I'm waiting for a friend at a bar or something. So I pull out iPhone Evernote, create a new note with a simple title and bang out some paragraphs, take a snap of something if it was external inspiration. It's really more about churning out that content wherever inspiration hits.

I like the idea of using it to build character profiles. You could even take pictures of places where you think they would live, or what they may look like, and build those into the profile note. I'm really into the writer's theory that if you can build a real and thorough enough set of characters, the story will more or less write itself once you give them some circumstances to wade through.

EDIT: Probably should add the website of NaNoWriMo so this makes sense: http://www.nanowrimo.org/

This is the second year I'm doing NaNoWriMo. I'm very excited and keeping notes in Evernote to keep me going. I feel behind-- all I have is a loose plot written. But this weekend I will finish preparing! I am also forwarding pertinent emails from the NaNo folks into my Evernote account to save. (Thanks Jenni Lathrop for introducing me to Evernote! It's perfect for NaNo-ing!)

Second year doing NaNo, and I've been going back and forth on this. On the one hand, I really want to use Evernote for the writing. I've been clipping ideas & making notes (all tagged with .2011NaNoWriMo, since . is my indicator of a big project), so I'd love ot od the writing in Evernote as well. But ... I like to write each scene as an individual piece, meaning that in order to present the "whole" to my reading group, I'll have to copy over to Google Docs. (yes, I could share the notebook, but then I have to worry about the order, plus Google Docs makes comments/collaboration easier).

More importantly, I like to make a quick outline, then grab a chapter & make a few notes about what'll happen for that chapter, then a few more notes bout individual scenes, then start writing the scenes. Then I like to see the scenes and/or synopses all lined up together. That's a lot of putting links into a master document after the fact and/or a lot of hacking the dates in order to get my notes to display in the order that I want them to. Again, doable, but not necessarily worth the effort.

I LOVE Evernote for collecting. I haven't done as much outlining/character building as I'd like, but I've been clipping a lot & tagging for NaNo in Evernote. I'd love to do the writing here because I really want to us a cloud solution (for reference, Google Docs has enough issues with writing separate scenes and then combining them into a coherent whole that I won't be working there, just copy/pasting in), I'm just not sure if the extra effort is worth it. Plus, I'm not really travelling much, so I don't *need* the cloud solution. I may go back to Scrivener on the Mac, referring to Evernote clippings, and occassionally making notes in EN & copying into Scrivener if I'm out somewhere & get writing time on the phone and/or pad.

Second year for me as well, and I plan to finish a novel I'm about 40K words into. November is such a hard month because of the holidays (at least here in the US), but I'm gonna give it a try.

I have not used Evernote yet for writing. I'm still using index card and post-it notes because I find it easier to refer back to written notes and I have a complex system of taping to my office walls. :lol:. I hope to use Evernote for writing on the go.

I have not used Evernote yet for writing. I'm still using index card and post-it notes because I find it easier to refer back to written notes and I have a complex system of taping to my office walls. :lol:. I hope to use Evernote for writing on the go.

I'm picturing in the movies when the hero (or a crazy person, it sometimes works both ways) has a ton of pictures taped to the wall, with red yarn snaking between all of the pictures and news clippings and such. :)

I am planning on doing NaNoWriMo this year. This will be my first ever attempt. I am only partially using Evernote however. I am going to do the actual writing in Scrivener (mac version). I've done a little brainstorming and outlining in there so far.

I do plan to use Evernote as part of the project. I have started collecting information and jotting down ideas in a notebook that I created specifically for this project. Then, when I'm ready to work on those ideas in Scrivener, I export the notes (to RTF using a script I downloaded eons ago) and drag them into the Research folder in Scrivener...

I don't intend to try and keep the two locations in sync; Scrivener will be the master location for the actual novel, and EN will probably be the main location for random notes and ideas. EN is just great at collecting stuff, but I think when it is time to organize and write, Scrivener will work better for me.

I also still like to handwrite some things (mostly jotting down quick notes). I then scan the pages later and put them in Evernote. My handwriting is so awful that the OCR doesn't do too much good, but it does pick up a few things. Scan stuff and getting into EN is pretty easy, so I figure I'll continue doing that for NaNoWriMo as well.

It's my first NaNo and I'm using a notebook in Evernote to keep my plot and character notes, photos for inspiration, and other clippings. Once I have a better idea of what ideas are keepers I transfer the information into a wiki or directly into Scrivener (Inspector notes only, no text yet of course).

This is my first year doing Nano. I have my characters more-or-less fleshed out, and I have a premise for the story, but I don't really know where it will go after the first few scenes. Hahah.

The guy who started Nanowrimo wrote a book called No Plot? No Problem!, and one of the things he suggests doing is making two lists: one for things you like in stories and would be good to include, and one for things you dislike in stories and would like to avoid including in yours. So I did that in Evernote. I also have, as aforementioned, plenty of visual references - one for the setting/environment, and one for each character. (I like to be able to visualize my characters doing stuff, and plus I've found some really, really good pictures that totally capture them.)

One of the most recent blog posts from the Nanowrimo team made the point that it's important to write down your inspiration the minute it strikes, so that's where a mobile version of Evernote comes in handy. :)

Hi,

I've been using Scrivener for writing until I discovered Evernote a couple of weeks ago! Evernote doesn't sync with Scrivener but it's as good as Scrivener (perhaps better - Scrivener is not mobile:) but I wish it had two more levels in Notes - Stacks, Notebooks, Notes: Level-1, Level-2, Level-3. Currently, I assign a notebook to a chapter and stack them all into a 'book'. I assign a topic to each note in a chapter; however, most chapters (in nonfiction books) have subtopics.

Two more levels in Notes would do the trick... and of course, I'd have to go Premium to be able to work offline on my iPad &/or iPhone:)

Hi,

I've been using Scrivener for writing until I discovered Evernote a couple of weeks ago! Evernote doesn't sync with Scrivener but it's as good as Scrivener (perhaps better - Scrivener is not mobile:) but I wish it had two more levels in Notes - Stacks, Notebooks, Notes: Level-1, Level-2, Level-3. Currently, I assign a notebook to a chapter and stack them all into a 'book'. I assign a topic to each note in a chapter; however, most chapters (in nonfiction books) have subtopics.

Two more levels in Notes would do the trick... and of course, I'd have to go Premium to be able to work offline on my iPad &/or iPhone:)

This has actually been a topic of heavy debate round here. You can set up a fairly effective system of tags to help manage and categorize yourself beyond the two levels (stacks and notebooks) provided. So for example:

Notebook - Book 1

Tags: Book1Ch1, Book1Ch2, Book1,Ch2

Notebook - Book 2

Tags: Book2Ch1, Book2Ch2, etc etc.

Depending on how you work your tags, the number of levels is pretty unlimited, and not really that ungainly. Set yourself up some saved searches if things get too crazy and you'd be good to go.

• Level 5*

I use both Scrivener and Evernote. I would say that there are huge differences between the two, and they really aren't comparable in most respects. They are both great, but do very different things. In short, EN is for collecting and Scrivener is for creating.

Scrivener is made for re-ordering information. This is crucial during the writing process. Section one can be shifted down to section ten without any problem. In Evernote you have to put in quite a bit of effort to change the order of notes within a tag or notebook. The corkboard setting in Scrivener, for example, can be a great way to re-organize your thoughts.

Scrivener is made to export drafts and even final products. You can compile all of those bits and pieces of your writing together and export as a single, finished document. You cannot do this with Evernote. At best, you can export as an HTML file, which is hardly a manuscript.

Scrivener is a friendly syncer. I do all of my writing on the iPad in Elements, which has a folder in dropbox that is synced to Scrivener. When I go home, I open up Scrivener and re-arrange things if I have added sections. Otherwise, it sorts it all out for me. VERY nice. Scrivener also plays well with SimpleNote and Index Card. Evernote doesn't play well with anyone (in terms of syncing).

Evernote is made for collecting information, especially stuff you didn't write. Anything from web pages to notes can all be dumped in here and drawn upon later for your writing project. Things are easily sorted into categories using folders or tags. Scrivener is awful at this, because you basically have to put things in that research folder, where it sits independent of other Scrivener projects. It isn't the kind of one-stop virtual junk drawer that Evernote is.

Evernote is mobile and available on every platform. If you find a PDF on the web somewhere, you can just stick it into EN on the go. Scrivener is at home in the Macbook Pro and completely inaccessible. For a writer, having a place to write down ideas or deposit research is key, and EN does this perfectly. Scrivener is so limited in this respect that it just doesn't compare.

I just heard about NaNoWriMo and I just signed up for it. This will be my first one and I'm going to use EN to do my writing. At times when I'm too distracted, I'll be writing in OmmWriter too to get my mind back on track. I'm a bit nervous but I'm excited!

EN is for collecting and Scrivener is for creating.

I do all of my writing on the iPad in Elements, which has a folder in dropbox that is synced to Scrivener. When I go home, I open up Scrivener and re-arrange things if I have added sections. Otherwise, it sorts it all out for me. VERY nice.

Thank you, GrumpyMonkey! I liked that - "EN is for collecting and Scrivener is for creating" - very, very clear now.

I downloaded Elements for iPad from the Appstore - I leave my MacBookPro at the office and carry the iPad home and everywhere else after work.

I have yet to try syncing Elements with Scrivener via Dropbox:)

This is my second attempt at doing the 50,000 words in a month. The first one was 2 years ago. I made it to 48,000 words by Thanksgiving. My mother died the next day. I did finish the book 4 months later.

So this year it's on. I have written the first 1922 words this morning.

I will everyone well and good writing!

First go at NaNoWriMo for me, and I joined the evernote forums today just to keep track of what people are doing for their novels.

I have been an off-and-on evernote user for a while, recently I'm very much back on and using it constantly. So why not simplify things and try to write the novel there too?

I'd be interested to see screenshots of anyone's layout/notebooks for doing the novel, I am a total novice at this so any structure would help. Good luck writing everyone.

This is my first year with NaNoWriMo, and so far, I've only popped out about 2k words... I wonder if we can do 50,000 letters instead? Haha.

Anyway, I second the Scrivener comments--it's hands-down the best piece of software for the creation/writing side of things, at least as it relates to longer documents. Just try to load a 100,000 word-long Microsoft Word document. Ugh. Anyway, it's also great for organizing the full package--compiling it down to whatever format, etc.

I use Evernote for the outlining and research part, since it's set up on all my devices and computers (MacBook Pro, PC at work, Android phone, and web wherever). The little buttons and applets that make it easy to snip certain sites or articles make using Evernote a dream for the research stuff.

First go at NaNoWriMo for me, and I joined the evernote forums today just to keep track of what people are doing for their novels.

I have been an off-and-on evernote user for a while, recently I'm very much back on and using it constantly. So why not simplify things and try to write the novel there too?

I'd be interested to see screenshots of anyone's layout/notebooks for doing the novel, I am a total novice at this so any structure would help. Good luck writing everyone.

I'll work on getting a screenshot or two up for you, but basically I have a notebook called "Novel" (great title, huh?), with subnotebooks "Research," "Outline," and "Current."

"Research" and "Outline" are obvious--I keep anything and everything in the research folder that I might be referencing for the book, and to keep an arms-length bibliography repository. The outline is just that--an ordered list with sections, sub-sections, and such, with the parts that I have yet to write in bold.

The "Current" one is a bit of a hack for me--Since I do the actual writing in Scrivener, I paste in the current section I'm writing in Evernote, so I need/want to write away from my beloved MacBook Pro/Scrivener setup, I can continue from the proper place.

I can't wait for Evernote to be integrated with Scrivener--my productivity will skyrocket then!

• Level 5*

As I understand it, this is basically only useful for research, sort of an alternative to sticking things in the Scrivener research folder. It's just a link to your note, right? A link to a website and a link to an Evernote note work the same.

For true integration with Scrivener, I think you need to use something like SimpleNote, or better yet, Elements. I like Elements (on the iPad/iPod) for many reasons I won't go into here.

The point is, everything you write / change in Elements is immediately reflected in Dropbox, which is synced to Scrivener. This means that I can do my writing anywhere at anytime with my iPad, and when I get home, I can adjust things using Scrivener. This is the kind of deep integration (where each "note" would be equivalent to a section in your Scrivener Draft) that I wish Evernote had.

For me, Evernote is good for collecting research. It doesn't work well with Scrivener at all. I'm not even sure that it should (I have no idea how Evernote and the developer for Scrivener would collaborate on such a project). I suppose if Evernote offered the option of saving notes in Dropbox, that would change everything.

Just discovered that Note Links work very well with Scrivener! That is so cool.

How do you do that, museislander?

noelgama--I was using a quotation and wanted to be able to click back to Evernote for reference, so I decided to give Note Links a try even though I've seldom had luck with them outside of Evernote itself. Mostly I'm adding the links for the future (i.e., post-November rewrite), so I can click back to my sources in Evernote when the time comes. But now that I know they work, I know I'll find some more uses.

GrumpyMonkey--so far I haven't felt a real need for greater integration with Evernote and Scrivener. That just may be a reflection of how I work. As someone said earlier, I'm using Scrivener for writing and Evernote for research. In some ways I like having them separate. It gives me some clarity somehow. Then again, I don't yet have an iPad, but I can see how that might change the game. My main mobile device for writing is a weird contraption called a spiral notebook. This actually has turned out to be very helpful, though it was not my preference originally. I got stuck when my laptop monitor died, and I didn't really see any gain in using an iTouch for write-ins. I do the vast majority of my writing early in the morning on the computer at home, but forcing myself to do a few pages by hand every few days really gives me a different perspective.

The tools in my NaNoWriMo toolbox are:

- Evernote (all devices) for research and quick notes. I don't have highly developed character sketches or plot structures.

- MindJet Connect (all devices) for outlining/mindmapping for quick reference (some material repeated or copy/pasted between evernote and MindJet.)

- Roughdraft on the PC and Notebooks on the iPad/iPhone, kept in sync via dropbox

- "Write or Die" to force me to focus and write quickly instead of pondering over my words. 500 words in 10 minutes or 750 words in 15 minutes is what I usually set it for. Currently only using this on the PC, but it is available on the iPad as well.

This is my second year of NaNoWriMo. The first year I just used Word/Writer.

pdw

• 11 months later...

I use an Index card app on my iPad to outline stories. A typical movie will have 40 cards. It is really helpful to move scenes around, to color code that this is a hero scene, a villain scene, B-story, etc. I don't really see a way to replicate the index card approach in Evernote (which would produce all sorts of cross-platform auto syncing joy). Any suggestions?

• Level 5*

I use an Index card app on my iPad to outline stories. A typical movie will have 40 cards. It is really helpful to move scenes around, to color code that this is a hero scene, a villain scene, B-story, etc. I don't really see a way to replicate the index card approach in Evernote (which would produce all sorts of cross-platform auto syncing joy). Any suggestions?

I assume this is Index Card. This is a brilliant app that syncs with Scrivener and has support for all sorts of nice functions like exporting of projects.

Ideally, I'd like to do this kind of stuff in Evernote, but that would require a manual sort option and/or the ability to manually arrange the order of notes. I don't see this happening anytime soon. I believe there is demand for this (everyone likes to be able to move things around as they please, no matter what they happen to be using Evernote for), but I suspect it might require a lot of work at Evernote to code it into the app. I hope we can convince the developers to give it a try :)

For the time being, I tend to do all of my research in Evernote and a mix of things with my writing.

With Index Card I can export to iTunes, copy to Dropbox or email it. How do I get it to sync with Scrivener? BTW, do you use Scrivener for screenplays? I'm using Scripts Pro. Eventually I will get the Final Draft Writer app but that doesn't have an index card function. I'm a big Save The Cat guy and I really like the 40 card breakdown.

• Level 5*

With Index Card I can export to iTunes, copy to Dropbox or email it. How do I get it to sync with Scrivener? BTW, do you use Scrivener for screenplays? I'm using Scripts Pro. Eventually I will get the Final Draft Writer app but that doesn't have an index card function. I'm a big Save The Cat guy and I really like the 40 card breakdown.

Hi. I don't write screenplays, so I can't offer much advice in that regard. Here is a YouTube video that says it has directions for syncing Index Card with Scrivener.

If Evernote could ever sync with Scrivener, I might never leave Evernote for any other work :)

Thanks for the video. This won't really work for me unless I move my entire process to Scrivener. So like you my process will be a bit of a mishmash. For the time being I will use Index Card for outlining and story structure. I'll use Evernote for background and record keeping (the friend's name is Paul and he has brown hair, he killed the victim at 10PM). Finally Scripts Pro or Final Draft for the screenplay.

• 3 years later...
  • Level 5*
4 hours ago, Sayre Ambrosio said:

I use Evernote and pull it into Scrivener for NaNoWriMo. There's a free trial of Scrivener you can use during November on the Literature and Latte site.

I'm also trying out the free trial of Scrivener 

Can you explain the "pull it into Scrivener"

I know Scrivener has a Research section, but Evernote remains my Filing System.  I'm thinking for much of my research notes, I'll be referencing from Evernote. 

Do I really need two research areas?  What is the benefit of coping into Scrivener?

I copy the public link for notes and folders that I want to import into Scrivener and then import as a webpage into the research section of Scrivener. This way while I'm out and about I can throw stuff into a designated EN notebook and then refresh the view in Scrivener while I am in there and I don't have to go back and forth.

I also have the iPad/iPhone version of Scrivener and just like the ease of using EN instead of the Research section of Scrivener.

• Level 5*
10 minutes ago, Sayre Ambrosio said:

I copy the public link for notes and folders that I want to import into Scrivener and then import as a webpage into the research section of Scrivener. This way while I'm out and about I can throw stuff into a designated EN notebook and then refresh the view in Scrivener while I am in there and I don't have to go back and forth.

Thanks for replying

When you add stuff into Evernote, updating the notes - do the notes get refreshed  in Scrivener?

Just now, DTLow said:

Thanks for replying

When you add stuff into Evernote, updating the notes - do the notes get refreshed  in Scrivener?

There will be a little refresh button at the bottom in Scrivener when you are looking at the EN stuff. You just hit that and you'll be good to go.

For some Scrivener isn't needed. It is an extra step if you use both but I research in Evernote and write in Scrivener. I write full time and need a more powerful tool for that as Evernote doesn't provide what I need on the writing side. 

Scrivener was designed for writers whereas Evernote was not. If you are planning on doing serious writing I suggest trying it out. I'm about the hit the hay but I'll post again on why I find it necessary to use both. 

16 minutes ago, Sayre Ambrosio said:

For some Scrivener isn't needed. It is an extra step if you use both but I research in Evernote and write in Scrivener. I write full time and need a more powerful tool for that as Evernote doesn't provide what I need on the writing side. 

Scrivener was designed for writers whereas Evernote was not. If you are planning on doing serious writing I suggest trying it out. I'm about the hit the hay but I'll post again on why I find it necessary to use both. 

Okay, thanks. I don't really write often, just a student, so I will stick with EN atm. I'll check out the Scrivener trial though.

• Level 5*
On 2016-10-23 at 3:26 AM, GiacomoLaw said:

I was just planning to use Evernote. What's the use of Scrivener? Doesn't it just add another step into your workflow?

I consider Evernote more of a filing tool than a writing tool.

The editor has basic editing features, more suited for notes than longer works

I'm most excited about the outlining feature of Scrivener, being able to segment my work and expand/compress as required

If nothing else, Scrivener will give you a word count

• Level 5*
1 hour ago, GiacomoLaw said:

Right clicking on EN does that too, however I wish they would add a bottom bar.

Yes, the Windows/Mac platforms can provide a wordcount per note

I'd advise you to not write your 50000 word novel in a single note
Break it up into multiple notes.
You can link all the sub-notes into a single note having a Table of Contents

On 10/25/2016 at 5:44 PM, DTLow said:

Yes, the Windows/Mac platforms can provide a wordcount per note

I'd advise you to not write your 50000 word novel in a single note
Break it up into multiple notes.
You can link all the sub-notes into a single note having a Table of Contents

I'm breaking it into notes for each chapter. I then add a reminder to the toc to always keep it at the top :) 

• Level 5*
On 2016-10-23 at 3:50 AM, GiacomoLaw said:

Okay, thanks. I don't really write often, just a student, so I will stick with EN atm. I'll check out the Scrivener trial though.

19 hours ago, GiacomoLaw said:

I'm breaking it into notes for each chapter. I then add a reminder to the toc to always keep it at the top :) 

I've downloaded the Scrivener trial version and will be using it through November for this project
I'm not an author, but I collect writing tools

I don't see why people would use a note tool for extensive writing.

I'm grateful for the Evernote Editor, and I use it extensively to assemble notes and insert short text.
For serious work, I switch to dedicated software.
I store the finished products in my Evernote database

2 hours ago, DTLow said:

I've downloaded the Scrivener trial version and will be using it through November for this project
I'm not an author, but I collect writing tools

I don't see why people would use a note tool for extensive writing.

I'm grateful for the Evernote Editor, and I use it extensively to assemble notes and insert short text.
For serious work, I switch to dedicated software.
I store the finished products in my Evernote database

I'll give it a go, and see how I like it. Is there a quick and simple setup guide for it? :) 

1 minute ago, GiacomoLaw said:

I'll give it a go, and see how I like it. Is there a quick and simple setup guide for it? :) 

Scrivener is extremely detailed but there is a tutorial project when you first launch the program. I highly recommend reading through it before November.

• Level 5*
21 hours ago, GiacomoLaw said:

How can I link my EN docs to it? :) 

Every note in Evernote can have  a public link URL; in essence a note can be a web page.

Scrivener is great at importing web pages into the Research and Inspect sections.  Just give it the url 

I suppose you can just copy your note, but the URL provides a link, and the data can be refreshed

Archived