(Archived) Can I add a link to an Evernote 'note' in a text document?

pipkato

Idea

Is there a method to add a link to individual Evernote 'notes' within documents in Apple Pages and TextEdit.

I'm working on a document which in some cases references a note in an Evernote Notebook. I want to put a link to that note in my document so that clicking on it will open the specific document in Evernote. This is just for my personal use, so that while working on my Pages or TextEdit document I can review my Evernote material immediately, and without having to do a Search in Evernote.

Is this possible?

Thanks.

45 replies to this idea

I would like to see the ability to put a link to Evernotes inside an OmniFocus Task. Ruben over at mailplaneapp.com has done a nice implementation that I use constantly, most of my omnifocus tasks have a link back to the email they are associated with, it would be great to be able to the same sort of thing with Evernotes. Right now I have a Notebook in Evernote named Inbox, it's the default notebook, it would be great to be able to select the note, push a short cut and have it create a new task in omnifocus with a link to the note. Thanks!

+1 This is essential functionality. Much more important than many of your other various integrations.

Someone mentioned on another thread that it would be good to see some sort of feature request voting, as Dropbox did with their "Votebox" to prioritize development. Would be a great way for us to know that our needs are getting addressed. To me, linking and sub-notebooks are completely essential features that are currently missing, and from browsing these forums, it seems like many users agree.

It is interesting to me how many people want to use this function for Omnifocus... that is EXACTLY what I want it for. Do you think someone of the Evernote team realizes that? My vote even if you just give it to the premium users, can we get a response in this house?

It is interesting to me how many people want to use this function for Omnifocus... that is EXACTLY what I want it for. Do you think someone of the Evernote team realizes that? My vote even if you just give it to the premium users, can we get a response in this house?

I'm sure they didn't omit this function/feature just to peeve off the users.

viewtopic.php?f=30&t=12465&p=55958&hilit=url#p55840

Another vote for linking notes.

I just downloaded and started into the EverNote life indoctrination process.....but I don't think I will fully succumb until I can link between notes and insert links to notes in documents....

FYI...31 year old female science postdoctoral researcher

I second this - The ability to link to a note would also create a solution for the lack of alarm or alert availability in EN.

Simply paste the link in a calendar event in whichever calendar you use, and you have created an alarm for a specific note!

+1.

As said earlier, you can create a new note and get a URL that will take you back to it consistently, but I have not found a way to do it for existing notes. I'm sure there's a way to build a URL if you know the note id. Is there a way to get a note id from the web client?

I see others have already thought of this idea too.... love the idea and any other creative integration with OmniFocus would likely rock.... perhaps a trunk extension. Are Evernote devs reading this string? Do we need to start a new string? Perhaps we should tell OmniFocus devs - they're REALLY good about listening to client suggestions

• Level 5*
Are Evernote devs reading this string? Do we need to start a new string? Perhaps we should tell OmniFocus devs - they're REALLY good about listening to client suggestions

If you read the forums at all, you would know that Evernote staff do read everything posted, though they don't always reply. You do not need to start a new thread.

~Jeff

Actually, when a thread is over 2 years old, nearly 40 people have echoed the feature request in the thread since the original post, and the last comment from an employee appears to be the 2nd comment over 2 years ago, it would seem to be a non sequitur to assume the staff are still reading it.

Besides, the nearly 40 people in this thread (assuming there are others) have been asking for the staff to do more than read. Starting a new thread actually got a response... so for those of you who've taken the time to comment and follow this feature request all this time, wait no more... the response from the staff is that they have no plans to implement your requests.

• Level 5*
Actually, when a thread is over 2 years old, nearly 40 people have echoed the feature request in the thread since the original post, and the last comment from an employee appears to be the 2nd comment over 2 years ago, it would seem to be a non sequitur to assume the staff are still reading it.

They actually do read new posts. I know for a fact that at least one Evernote staffer uses the 'search for active topics' feature of the forum to follow what's been posted since the last time they read it. Reading is one thing, and responding to a '+1', 'me too', etc. posts is another matter. The implication that Evernote doesn't listen to their customers is just plain silly.

Besides, the nearly 40 people in this thread (assuming there are others) have been asking for the staff to do more than read. Starting a new thread actually got a response... so for those of you who've taken the time to comment and follow this feature request all this time, wait no more... the response from the staff is that they have no plans to implement your requests.

I did answer specifically your question. They do read new posts to old threads. That you got a response to a new topic is great; note by the way that wasn't a definitive 'no', just a "it's not in our current plans' to do so", meaning it's probably on a list, but prioritized fairly well down. *shrug* It's how software development works -- you only have so many resources to do all the things that you want to do. So not much hope for anything in the short term, sorry to say, unless it's a 3rd-party who does it.

~Jeff

Well, why don't we focus on the real issue here rather than when/if anyone at EN has read something (which no one outside of EN can prove one way or the other).

The real issue is why do we not have the ability to link one note to another, and to put a link to a EN Note in an external document after so many people have been requesting these features for so many years? Is it really that hard to implement?

It should also be noted that this is not just a Mac client issue. Many users have requested the same feature for the other EN clients, notably the EN Win and EN iPhone/iPad clients.

Jeff, I'm not sure what comment from an EN employee you were referring to when you said "it's not in our current plans' to do so", but here's one near the beginning of this thread that says just the opposite:

This isn't currently possible, but we plan to introduce links-to-notes, which would be portable across platforms.

IAC, there are a few key features that many people keep asking for that have not been implemented. I think we have to keep pushing for these features until they are implemented. "Note Links" is one of those features.

I think those of us interested in this feature would like to hear from EN on this, as opposed to someone else's guess of what EN might or might not do. :(

I think those of us interested in this feature would like to hear from EN on this, as opposed to someone else's guess of what EN might or might not do. :(

Dave Engberg's comments in various places (eg. viewtopic.php?f=30&t=12465&start=25#p74365) are explicit: the EN guys will introduce links to notes. But with this as with other new or improved features, don't expect them to make themselves hostages to fortune by guesstimating when it'll happen. Seems clear enough to me.

As noted earlier in this thread, this isn't yet supported, but this is something we plan to add.

Thanks

I'm not going to be an ungrateful sod and forget that we asked for this, and that you finally delivered.

Thank You!

(Drag 'n Drop would be great - drag out of EN and create a link - but that will come soon, I'm certain.)

Thanks for listening to us! Congrats on the new functionality.

_KMP

• Level 5*

Yes, by all means, let us celebrate this great moment: Evernote supports hyperlinks to its own notes, both internally and from external docs.

A couple of interesting quotes:

This isn't currently possible, but we plan to introduce links-to-notes, which would be portable across platforms.

And then nearly 3 years later:

Introducing: Note Links

It’s not often that a single feature has the potential to dramatically improve Evernote for all users. It may not seem like much at first, but Note Links is exactly that kind of addition.

It seems that good things do indeed take time, patience, and perseverance.

Thanks a lot Dave.

That will be a really useful addition.

And thanks for a fantastic application - I find it incredibly reliable and useful, and the new iPhone client is amazing.

Regards,

Roy

I was trying to find a way to link to EN notes from OmniFocus, when I found this year-old thread that promised the feature would be added. How's the progress on this?

There still isn't any way to link to a specific EN note, is there?

EDIT: I found a workaround. You can search for the EN note in Spotlight/Finder, and drag it from there into the other app. This seems to work fine both for MindManager and OmniFocus, so I guess it should be OK for most apps.

EDIT 2: This workaround apparently relies on a temporary cache and does not work across machines. On the same mac the links seem to work for a while, none of mine have stopped working yet, but I expect them to eventually.

EDIT 3: … and so they did. The links only work a for few months, at most, so this workaround is worthless. It's sad that EN is progressing so slowly on this.

Any update on when we might see linking to notes between notes etc. introduced? This thread is quite old.

It would be great to be able to create relationships between notes. DEVONThink, Together, Journler, SOHO Notes all allow this functionality today.

Like Notaker, I would also like to add a vote for this. I'm also an OmniFocus user, but in general I've found that not every application does everything, and I'd like to suggest that as my "mobile mind" Evernote fits in best as a "Reference" resource - not a planning one.

I'm a big fan of OF, but I don't like trying to store reference data in it. That's not what it's really meant for; GTD requires a hard separation between what keeps you on track, and resources that you need (and wish to retain), separate from an associated next action.

Being able to drag a note icon from Evernote as a "notes:" link in MacOS X would enable being able to reference Evernote data from anywhere in any application and on any of the computers on which I have Evernote installed. This would be really useful... thanks.

i found the same finder trick and i also agree that it can only be an ad-hoc solution at the moment. apart from linking notes within EN, the ability to link to notes from external apps is a great plus. i just started using this workaround but for relatively unimportant references and if they break i guess i will go do a search in EN.

Totaly agree - for me using omnifocus and EN as a tool to handle reference material in gtd way, EN lacks this important feature. Please implement direct linking to EN documents as soon as possible!

I also would like to see this feature.

It would be great for use with OmniFocus and other ideas I have as well.

Clever clog as I can sometimes be, let me offer this rather clever unkink'd workaround,

noting that it works everywhere, not just on the client machine.

Use key-commands in EverNote Prefs to create notes.

Log-into EverNote through your web-browser.

click on your newly created note.

THAT url appears to consistently bring-up the desired note.

If you make your browser auto-login for EverNote (where safe to do so),

An altogether not unreasonably unpleasant hack, m'thinks.

Enjoy.

~ J

Unique note id's with a drag/drop link creation feature would be very helpful! In particular for OmniFocus integration.

This would also allow me to open specific notes from a keyboard command, as I requested in viewtopic.php?f=38&t=12264.

I would also like a preference or option whether note links should open the note in a separate note window, shown in the main Evernote window, or web page.

Archived