(Archived) Ignore images/pdfs in search?

soobee

Idea

Hi, everyone:

I've been trying to find the answer to my question for a while now by reading the forums and searching google, and I've given up. Here's my question: Is it possible to search notes and exclude the images/pdfs that are part of the note? I want to search only the text I have entered or cut and pasted as regular text. I have a lot of handwritten parish records in French (mostly png files from clipping), and when I search certain words, I get dozens of useless hits in these documents (these are sloppily written in most cases, and the text recognition is trying too hard!). Can this be done? I hope so!

Thanks in advance!

Sue

9 replies to this idea

I don't think so. However, the indexing for handwriting works better for images rather than PDFs b/c the image indexing will make a tree of possibilities. IE, if you have an image with the word "house" in it, it may show up if you were looking for the word "horse". So you might try taking some of the problematic images & print them to PDF & see if that reduces the false positives.

A non-ideal workaround......

put all your image / pdf containing files in a separate notebook (if necessary sort by note size - the images and pdfs will likely be near the top and your notes near the bottom - copy them into a new notebook).

Then do your search whilst in the non-images notebook. You could do the same thing almost with tags.

Just been looking through the search syntax - and according to this if you type -recoType: in the search box it should exclude all images with text recognition from the search. I'm just going to try it.....

Nope - can't get it to work - according to the documentation if you have recoType:picture in the search box it will include all those notes with pictures which have gone through the image recognition docs - so -recoType:picture should work - but it doesn't seem to.

Actually -resource:image/jpg (which you can save as a saved search) will remove all notes with jpgs from the search - although -resource:image/pdf doesn't seem to work

Of course if you want to search for text which you've saved in the same note as an image you're stuck!

Nope - can't get it to work - according to the documentation if you have recoType:picture in the search box it will include all those notes with pictures which have gone through the image recognition docs - so -recoType:picture should work - but it doesn't seem to.

Recotype is mostly obsolete, since ~version 3.5

You could tag the ones you don't want with "French handwritten pages" & add -tag:"French handwritten pages" to your search. But, as you said, with so many, it may be more trouble than it's worth. Or, as you said above, if there was text in the note that you'd want to search, then this would create a false negative.

I'm surprise no one answer this.

for all your text only note

-resource:*

for your text note with a specific term, if the term only have one words

term -resource:*

for your text note with a specific term, if the term have more than one word

"term term" -resource:*

if you know your term is in the title, you can have a work arround:

intitle:term

if more than one word

intitle:"term term"

I found myself use intitle more often than anything, even more than tag

Bonus

Here are some other search term I know:

All images

resource:image/*

All audio

resource:audio/*

All PDF

resource:application/pdf

All ink note

resource:application/vnd.evernote.ink

MS document (if you use ink note it will show up too)

resource:application/vnd.*

MS word document (EN doesn't make life easier does it.....)

resource:application/vnd.openxmlformats-officedocument.wordprocessingml.document

MS Powerpoint

resource:application/vnd.openxmlformats-officedocument.presentationml.slideshow

MS Excel (xls file)

resource:application/excel

MS Excel (xlsx files) and some MS word file (docx files)

resource:application/octet-stream

All attachment other than pdf

resource:application/* -resource:application/pdf

Work arround:

keep the file extention in the title of the note and then do a intitle search

Cheers :)

Archived