Images sent to my Evernote are upside down

Rponder

Idea

29 replies to this idea

Images sent from my iPhone are all upside down in Evernote too. However, when I right click (or ctr-click) on images in my notes there is no option to open in Preview.

The right click menu I get a menu with options like Cut, Copy, Paste... Convert Note to PDF, etc. 

How do I correct the rotation of these images? 

• Level 5*

FWIW, in order to not chew any upload limit with photos that need to be rotated, I've been uploading photos from my iPhone/iPad to Dropbox. I then use my image manager program (ACDSee Photo Manager) to preview them & rotate when necessary. Then I can cut/paste them to an import folder (sucks for you Mac guys ;) ) . Once imported, correctly oriented, into EN I then merge images or add text, add tags, etc & then move to the correct notebook. Kind of a PITA for sure, but it works.

Good idea. Thanks for suggesting it. I'm afraid it is too much of a PITA for me to fire up the MBP just to deal with my images. They're going straight into my Evernote account, and I'm just going to have to live with them being all messed up :(

FWIW, in order to not chew any upload limit with photos that need to be rotated, I've been uploading photos from my iPhone/iPad to Dropbox. I then use my image manager program (ACDSee Photo Manager) to preview them & rotate when necessary. Then I can cut/paste them to an import folder (sucks for you Mac guys :( ) . Once imported, correctly oriented, into EN I then merge images or add text, add tags, etc & then move to the correct notebook. Kind of a PITA for sure, but it works.

• Level 5*

I'm experiencing EXACTLY the same thing that GrumpyMonkey is facing. It's a little bit annoying... wish Evernote would come up with a fix soon. :(

It sounds like we are out of luck for the moment. I am not really clear about it, but even pictures right-side-up and unedited in iOS have some kind of coding that Evernote does not recognize, so it will not render the images correctly. I think it was Heather that explained it in another thread.

So, for the forseeable future, you have to straighten them out on your computer (OSX or Windows).

• Level 5*

I would prefer it if Evernote does not auto-rotate my pictures. I can do that in a second on my mobile device before sending it. It is unlikely that EN's OCR will correctly recognize the text or direction of the text in my pictures, because many have Chinese characters. I imagine there are people with pictures of flowers, art, etc. who would also be annoyed by pictures being rotated (incorrectly) by Evernote.

I really really would like that evernote would automatically change the direction of the pictures! As evernote can recognise the text in photos that are upside down or rotatet in 90 degrees, for me it makes no sense to keep them in the wrong direction. The smartphones really often take the pictures in a wrong direction, so PLEASE add a code that auto-rotates them! If you do not want to autorotate them, please add an option to do it manually! To open them in preview and save them afterwards and delete the old version is quite annoying...

Beside: You guys do a fine job!

yes. that would be nice. but, if evernote said (on the site or in an email) that the bug was known and a fix was in the works, that would be nice. it would save me the trouble of filling out forms and collecting info.

In most cases the more information and reports we have from users, the better. If users didn't report issues, there could be an undrepresented bug that actually represents a more critical issue, and thus we'd devote more brainage to that.

that would be very nice. how do i get on the list?

How do you feel about hazing?

Kidding. I'll PM ya.

• Level 5*

There used to be an option in the support ticket dropdown where users could choose to submit a bug. This proved to complicate rather than help things, because the bug queue didn't drop into our bug tracking system and often the issue wasn't a bug at all. We opted to move to a process where users simply report their issues and customer support filters through, identifying bugs and then reporting to the bug software.

yeah. i can see how that would be a problem.

If you like, you could probably "flag" the issue with support as a bug when submitting. But I suspect most of what you'd like to see from filing your own bugs is some transparency to the bug evaluation process, which we don't provide.

yes. that would be nice. but, if evernote said (on the site or in an email) that the bug was known and a fix was in the works, that would be nice. it would save me the trouble of filling out forms and collecting info.

As for the IOS rich text issues--if you're not on our beta testing list I think I should get you on it.

that would be very nice. how do i get on the list?

There used to be an option in the support ticket dropdown where users could choose to submit a bug. This proved to complicate rather than help things, because the bug queue didn't drop into our bug tracking system and often the issue wasn't a bug at all. We opted to move to a process where users simply report their issues and customer support filters through, identifying bugs and then reporting to the bug software.

If you like, you could probably "flag" the issue with support as a bug when submitting. But I suspect most of what you'd like to see from filing your own bugs is some transparency to the bug evaluation process, which we don't provide.

As for the IOS rich text issues--if you're not on our beta testing list I think I should get you on it.

• Level 5*

We nail down the bug?

They told me it is a bug, there is nothing I can do about it, and they will fix it someday.

It's not a big deal. I am far more concerned about the horrific formatting issues that still plague the iOS app.

I wonder if there is just a way to report a bug? I don't need support, because I assume none can be provided, but I would like to give Evernote a heads up so A) Evernote knows there is a problem, and B) Evernote knows it is bugging me (pun intended).

• Level 5*

Nope. But, I have started a support ticket and sent in my screenshots. I still think it has something to do with the fact that the images were emailed. I'll be interested to find out why everything is displaying differently.

• Level 5*

Started a support ticket. My chat link never lit up :rolleyes:

At this moment, I am thinking it has something to do with the fact that the images are being mailed into EN. Pictures that I drag into it from the desktop appear correctly on all of the platforms. Pictures that I email follow the strange patterns described above.

• Level 5*

LOL. I am hanging out on the web client hoping that the chat link will activate, and I noticed that my notes are screwed up here in a novel way! Jeez. This is a mess, and I cannot imagine how they got everything to be so inconsistent.

IPAD

1. The thumbnails in the iPad show the images askew

2. But, the images are right-side up in the note itself

OSX

3. The thumbnails in my Mac show the images right-side up

4. The images in my notes are askew!

WEB

5. All of my thumbnails show the pictures askew (in this case turned sideways in the same direction)

6. All of the images match the thumbnails!

• Level 5*

Something is wrong.

I haven't been paying attention to my notes in my MBP recently (spending too much time on the iPad), and I was horrified to see that the receipts I have been photographing are all askew!

1. The thumbnails in the iPad show the images askew

2. But, the images are right-side up in the note itself

3. The thumbnails in my Mac show the images right-side up

4. The images in my notes are askew!

Which notes are the "correct" ones, and why is this happening? By the way, it seems that some images I flipped got flipped back, and some that I didn't flip got flipped. Weird.

• Level 5*

When I take a picture with my phone or Ipad and send to my evernote, they are upside down even though that is not how I've taken the picture. Is there a way to turn them around once Ive imported them into evernote?

You milght like the iOS app FastEver Snap. It works directly with EN and gives you more control over the image BEFORE it is sent to EN. It has worked well for me.

There may be other iPhone apps that provide a similar function. You can check the EN Trunk Store and the Apple iOS App Store for other options.

• Level 5*

Right click (ctrl+click) on the image and select open with Preview

Once you have the image open in Preview you can use those commands to spin the image.

Then hit save - when you close the image in Preview it will appear in it's new state in Evernote.

Neither of those commands work. CMD +R is reset search and CMD+I is hide/show notebook. Not exactly sure what opening them up in preview means. I can open the notebook and edit the text, I can't re-size the picture, but I can rotate it.

Archived