Techie Clips

In my daily business, I am always tinkering with my websites or have ideas to keep track of. I have a "Techie Stuff" where I keep all those random clips. Whether its code or oher techie articles I find I need to reference later. Do you all use Evernote this way?

What's your idea?

• Level 5*

Yes, I do. I clip a lot of techie articles, and need to categorize them to make them easily searchable. How do I do it?

Why with tags, of course!

I have tags "Software", "Development", "Web", "C++", "Graphics", "C++", "Javascript", "Python", "Design", "Architecture", "History", "Management", etc. that help me to categorize my techie notes. Just clip and apply as needed.

I often add code or screencaps of code to Evernote. If I have to write a quick & dirty program to do something, it usually gets added to Evernote for future reference. I even have a tag "Q&D programs". This way, I can easily pull up the code from Evernote, should I need it again. But I can keep our work computers relatively clean by not having these programs stored on their hard drives.

I have programs I run often, so I keep them on the work computers. But I don't run them often enough to remember their names. So I make an Evernote about what the program does & where it's located on the work computers. Saves me from having to dig around the bowels of the computers trying to find it. icon_wink.gif

I often access other PCs and/or servers on the work network. I keep notes in Evernote about how to access them (IE, which network I need to VPN to, login info (passwords are encrypted), where the stuff I normally need to access is located on that server, etc)

I keep scans of the pages from tech manuals that I use most often. Saves me from having to get the book as well as keeps it handy whether I'm working from my physical office or another location.

• Level 5*

Oh yes. A couple of other things that are work-specific is to keep links to tickets in our bug/issue tracking software (which has a web UI), and to our internal Wiki. I keep a weekly log (one note per log) of what I've worked on, for time reporting. I usually also keep a note for each of our 2-week development cycles with todo items, linked into the bug tickets, and also make notes on specific issues as I work on them.

• Level 5*

I also clip items from our internal systems - stuff like people's time sheet data so I can beat them mercilessly when they miss their deliverables. Who knew it could be such fun being the one who bosses about the ones who actually do stuff?

• Level 5*

Yeah, I clip my own timesheets, so that in case the bosses try to change it behind my back, I can throw it back at them.

One more thing: I clip screenshots of our software, the graphical display (maps) and UI; it's usually stuff I gotta fix. The desktop clipper is very handy for that.

1. If I'm fixing a computer and want to capture an error message I'll take a picture of the error with my iPhone and email it to my evernote account.
  2. I also have used evernote to create an evernote on-line knowledgebase that I share out with my customers.

Hi all first post just found the forums Cool Software Love it!

I use ever note daily i'm a tech guy I set up phone and computer networks for small companies.

A lot of times I get called in by a friend of a friend because they rent a space call a phone and ISP and they have no clue as what to do next or there old tech guy just disappeared. Most of the times I have set everything up, or figure out whats already installed. ISP modem, network router, PBX, WiFi each has there own setup instructions which might be used only once ever. That's where I use EverNote those obscure details that can mean so much in the Tech world. Each customer has a tag and a notebook with all there details so when they call at 10:00pm (And they do) I have it all at a finger tip.

Archived