New Note shortcut opens note minimised.

When I use the EN shortcut to create a new note (Ctrl + Alt + N) or just Ctrl + N when EN is active, the note opens but is instantly minimised.

Kinda defeats the object of the shortcut. It would be easier to use the mouse to press the button...

Is there a particular reason for this?

Win 7 64 bit

Evernote for Windows 4.5.2.5517 (196948) Prerelease

Snippet view | Note panel disabled

Thanks,

Scott

• 2 years later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Spose we could get AHK to pick up the Ctrl + Alt + N, pass another key combo EN (change the default combo required for new note) then AHK would change focus to that new note?... that would achieve the same thing i think.

Ok, so after a little experimenting, I think I know why this may happen. 

Evernote stores it's window state in the registry, so if you happen to have a single note minimised at a time when it does this (Manual close via File -> Exit or Shutdown for example) then it will store the location (including minimised)

I mention this because this is where Evernote decides to place new single note windows. 

So, try:

- Ctrl + Alt + N

- Open the note (Maximised, or placed where you desire in the window.)

- When you have the note located where you want it, exit Evernote via File -> Exit. 

- Open Evernote again, and try the hotkey. 

Does this work?

If so, the solution for Evernote would be to not save the minimised state to the window.

Evernote stores it's window state in the registry, so if you happen to have a single note minimised at a time when it does this (Manual close via File -> Exit or Shutdown for example) then it will store the location (including minimised)

I mention this because this is where Evernote decides to place new single note windows. 

So, try:

- Ctrl + Alt + N

- When you have the note located where you want it, exit Evernote via File -> Exit. 

Does this work?

If so, the solution for Evernote would be to not save the minimised state to the window.

I'm impressed that you ran into this and figured out how to reproduce. We'll look into it, thanks as always!

UPDATE: I tried the sequence noted above again (exiting while note was open) and it seemed to fix the issue.  

I am facing this issue as well, whether or not I use the keyboard shortcut or the button on the toolbar. I tried exiting Evernote with the New Note open, but it did not change anything.

I am using Premium version: 5.1.2.2387.

So, try:

- Ctrl + Alt + N

Does this work?

Thanks everyone (particularly spg_Scott), this did it and solved the problem I was having. It doesn't look like the exact window positioning of the new note is saved but now I get what I need - the new note created by CTRL-Alt-N is immediately open, with the focus, ready for immediate typing.

• 5 months later...
  • 10 months later...
  • 1 year later...
On 2/26/2014 at 4:14 PM, spg SCOTT said:

So, try:

- Ctrl + Alt + N

Does this work?

This issue was so annoying. AND this worked perfectly. 
NOTE: The file-> exit  is the main file menu on the main evernote page, not the new note itself. Quiets the whole evernote apps

• 3 months later...

This is still an issue anno 2017. I've experienced this on all of my devices (Windows 7, Windows 10) and never understood why Evernote would minimize a window I just asked it to open.

Now that the cause is known I hope this can be brought to the attention of the Evernote developers.

• 4 months later...

May 2017 and it's still not fixed but thanks to spg SCOTT for the workaround which solved it on my end.

As much as I love Evernote, I feel like where bugs are concerned workarounds are often as good as it gets. I've had a lot more problems fixed by enterprising users finding a workaround than by EN developers coding a fix. :-)

• 4 months later...
On 20/05/2017 at 3:23 PM, jshanker said:

May 2017 and it's still not fixed but thanks to spg SCOTT for the workaround which solved it on my end.

As much as I love Evernote, I feel like where bugs are concerned workarounds are often as good as it gets. I've had a lot more problems fixed by enterprising users finding a workaround than by EN developers coding a fix. :-)

Still experiencing this problem. Windows 10 on september 2017.

I kept searching and found this that worked:

On 20/10/2016 at 9:22 PM, Austin G said:

Try these steps. 

1. Tools > Options > Note > and uncheck   "Create new notes in a new window"
  2. File>Exit
  3. Open  Evernote
  4. Tools > Options > Note > and check  "Create new notes in a new window"

Let us know if the issue continues. 

This will be fixed in a future update. It's in our internal builds now. The problem was we remember the last state of the window. If it was closed while minimized, it was remembered that way. (Why I don't know - my change forcibly ignores the minimized state when restoring the single note view)

Don't get me wrong, I'm glad this annoyance is finally being fixed, but SIX YEARS from when the problem was first identified and THREE AND A HALF YEARS since spg SCOTT explained precisely what was going on and how EN could fix it . . . 

Think of all the millions of customer annoyances that have transpired in those six years that could have been avoided with what I suspect is a couple of lines of code. I can sort of understand the 2011-2014 period because diagnosing the root cause of problems is hard, but spg SCOTT did that part for EN. Changing the code to NOT save something to the registry is a few minutes of work. How many Evernote users have thrown their hands up in frustration and switched to something else (or opted not to pay for Premium) because of this constant annoyance during those intervening three years?

Workarounds are not only inferior but they only work for those of us who happened to read this thread and it still means that every few months I'm having to refer back to the thread, open and close, etc etc. Someone at EN should dedicate a few hours a week to harvesting this kind of low-hanging fruit so as to have a regular string of customer-oriented wins to talk about.

• 4 months later...
  • 7 months later...

This issue is actually part of the reason I switched to Onenote a while ago. I'm trying to switch back, but I'm amazed that this still hasn't been resolved. I'm gonna try fully uninstalling and reinstalling (rather than just updating). I'm guessing I'm gonna have to hunt down a bunch of registry keys though ... :/

I'm seriously considering writing a janky wxPython gui to wrap enscript.exe. If I go through the work of doing that, I'll try to package that into an installable .exe and I'll post a link to the Github here.

EDIT: Finally got this to work -- Instead of File > Exit, I had to restart my computer.

Archived