Backups: 512Gb online free?

• Level 5*

I read the Forum for helpful hints and tips on Evernote and supporting software, so please excuse a non-Evernote (well, not directly) tip here. If I ever mention anything in which I have a money-making interest, I'll flag a potential conflict of interest.

No conflicts here, but https://www.backify.com/ do offer 512Gb of online storage FREE which to my suspicious mind seems almost too good to be true.. however I've signed up, downloaded the app which sits on my desktop and does a 24/7 real-time backup of any files saved to the folders I've specified.

I signed up with a "spare" email address and a unique password and did an in depth anti- malware and virus scan before and afterward with zero results - all largely because being paranoid doesn't mean they're not out to get you. I won't put anything valuable into the folders for a while, but my immediate thought was: I could specify my Evernote database folder, and my daily snapshot backup folder..

No disrespect to Evernote in any way, but as a belt + braces + string way to ensure my data will always be available when I need it, this extra offsite backup (to both EN and myself) could be very interesting...

There's apparently lots more capacity at minimal prices if you need it. If you're interested have a look at the website for the full sales pitch.

If I spot any major drawbacks at any time I'll let you know.

I saw the backify offer as well. And the Box.net one for iPad/Touchpad users.

I just want to clarify something - Evernote's business model is not "cloud storage." We are your "External brain". Your personal "search engine", if you will. Not only can you store your images, pdfs, etc in us, but we'll index them and make them searchable so you can find exactly what you're trying to find, wherever you need it.

Dropbox, Backify, Box.net, etc - they're just "external hard drives". Some do it better than others.

• Level 5*
Dropbox, Backify, Box.net, etc - they're just "external hard drives". Some do it better than others.

Hi Heather and thanks for the input - I didn't mean my post to suggest that Backify is in any way a contender for Evernote's market, and hopefully no-one took it as such. It's simply one way for both Windows and Mac users to ensure that there's an automatic backup of the Evernote database (and anything else they might rely on) offsite for easy recall in case of disaster. There's no indexing that I'm aware of, no searching - there is apparently a way to stream music or video to mobile apps, but the free offer will only work from one computer.

I'm not using it for anything myself yet - still waiting for the other shoe to drop.

Interesting note in the comments on the Lifehacker site:

"[backify.com] is registered to one Tarandeep Gill of 'IE Users Are Dumb' infamy. This is according to the WHOIS"

(I confirmed the above is accurate.)

Googling on Tarandeep Gill reveals several hits including this one. I've not determined if Mr. Gill is good/bad, which articles are accurate, etc & don't have the time to currently research this further.

But FYI...

• Level 5*

Not defending Backify, but if you follow up the posts and blogs outside this forum they actually show up as a Livedrive reseller. Of which there are lots.

Installing the software got me a Livedrive link on my desktop. Livedrive do not appear to offer "free" cloud space, although Backify [allegedly] do.. confusing.

As I mentioned initially, I'm testing this out with my paranoia set to 11 - should have added a "don't try this at home - unless you are (reasonably) sure you know what you're doing" caveat up front.

• 3 years later...
Posted · Hidden by Metrodon, May 1, 2015 - No reason given
Hidden by Metrodon, May 1, 2015 - No reason given

You Can check Ahsay Software. Ahsay Software is a robust cross-platform backup solution which allows businesses and managed backup service providers to backup virtual machines, databases and servers to local / mapped network drive, locally hosted backup server, or online backup server hosted in datacenter. I hope this will help you.http://www.ahsay.com/jsp/en/home/index.jsp?pageContentKey=ahsay_products_overview

Can't speak for the others, but Dropbox has come a long way since 2011... I wouldn't say it was/ is just an "external hard drive". They've expanded to brilliant apps like Mailbox (integrates with Dropbox) and Carousel. Apparently they're gearing up to take a dive into the world of note taking.

Now, further down the road, Evernote has given Premium members unlimited uploads and a 200MB note-size limit. Whether Evernote identifies itself as a cloud storage service or not, many have been and will attempt to make it that way, oblivious to scalability issues.

The backify domain is for sale, according to the website. What do you know about their security, where are their servers? How easily can they be hacked? What happens with your data if they go out of business? ......

I read the Forum for helpful hints and tips on Evernote and supporting software, so please excuse a non-Evernote (well, not directly) tip here. If I ever mention anything in which I have a money-making interest, I'll flag a potential conflict of interest.

No conflicts here, but https://www.backify.com/ do offer 512Gb of online storage FREE which to my suspicious mind seems almost too good to be true.. however I've signed up, downloaded the app which sits on my desktop and does a 24/7 real-time backup of any files saved to the folders I've specified.

I signed up with a "spare" email address and a unique password and did an in depth anti- malware and virus scan before and afterward with zero results - all largely because being paranoid doesn't mean they're not out to get you. I won't put anything valuable into the folders for a while, but my immediate thought was: I could specify my Evernote database folder, and my daily snapshot backup folder..

No disrespect to Evernote in any way, but as a belt + braces + string way to ensure my data will always be available when I need it, this extra offsite backup (to both EN and myself) could be very interesting...

There's apparently lots more capacity at minimal prices if you need it. If you're interested have a look at the website for the full sales pitch.

If I spot any major drawbacks at any time I'll let you know.

• Level 5*

I saw the backify offer as well. And the Box.net one for iPad/Touchpad users.

I just want to clarify something - Evernote's business model is not "cloud storage." We are your "External brain". Your personal "search engine", if you will. 

IMO, since Heather (former EN Dir of Support) was responding to a post about a backup service, I think she was trying to make clear that Evernote is NOT a backup service.

Here's a huge clue:  A true backup service allows selective restore over a range of time.  Evernote does NOT.

There are a number of excellent backup systems available, some that run on your local machine, some online.

Evernote is NOT one of these.

• Level 5*

Ouch.  Thanks for the update @SahilC - I did say (4 years ago) that my paranoia was set to 11 - I dropped the service pretty quickly then,  so no fallout here.  And I think this thread could/ should be locked - I was just highlighting what seemed to be a good deal,  but clearly it wasn't!  I don't think Evernote could ever be mistaken for a backup service,  unless your main device holds a max of 200MB of data,  because setting up a system to backup my multi-GB hard drives in 200MB batches would be such a serious pain that I would gladly pay someone else to back things up in one block.  And while I love Evernote,  there's no way that I'm trusting all my carefully collected data to someone else's cloud storage without having some local backups I can see and touch - just in case...

Archived