(Archived) stickies !?

Hi all,

being able to make a note a sticky would really rock this great application.

I usually have a to-do note in one of my folders, which I edit along the way as I tasks are solved and new ones pop up.

This to-do list invariably ends down the list of notes as other notes are created. I realize I could maybe title it 'aaa_todo' or something, but it seems a bit silly and there might just be other good ways of using stickies (childrens' social security numbers, clothes sizes, what have you).

what dou you think !?

cheers

Halfdan

• Level 5*

Have you tried double-clicking the note in Evernote so that it pops out of the listing and onto your screen in its own window? You can minimize that window when required, without affecting the main Evernote display, which is then available for research.

It looks like you just confirmed this feature. :lol:

No, I didn't. I have no insider info & I'm pretty sure starred items are not on the to do list. Or certainly not very high up on it. The only "star" items EN has ever had (at least since abandoning the Windows only payware app which may or may not have had them - IDK) is on iPhone. And that was only b/c it was a way for people to store notes locally on their iPhone so they were accessible when they had no internet connection. They aren't even on the iPad version.

So you may want to recant.

It looks like you just confirmed this feature. :lol:

No, I didn't. I have no insider info & I'm pretty sure starred items are not on the to do list. Or certainly not very high up on it. The only "star" items EN has ever had (at least since abandoning the Windows only payware app which may or may not have had them - IDK) is on iPhone. And that was only b/c it was a way for people to store notes locally on their iPhone so they were accessible when they had no internet connection. They aren't even on the iPad version.

Meh, I think evernote will have this feature. The starring is the reason why I choose Gmail over yahoo, others.

I'm sure Evernote will have a "starring" option like in GMail.

Meh, I think evernote will have this feature. The starring is the reason why I choose Gmail over yahoo, others.

Please stop posting incorrect information. It's misleading to others who may read the threads later. EN may add stars. I rather doubt it, since they promote tagging. But it's a disservice to the board for someone to say "I'm sure EN will have ___" unless you have some accurate insider information. That usually originates from the people who's names are in red. Or, if you see something from an EN blog post, then it's fine to link to that as your source.

I'm sure Evernote will have a "starring" option like in GMail.

Please stop posting incorrect information. It's misleading to others who may read the threads later. EN may add stars. I rather doubt it, since they promote tagging. But it's a disservice to the board for someone to say "I'm sure EN will have ___" unless you have some accurate insider information. That usually originates from the people who's names are in red. Or, if you see something from an EN blog post, then it's fine to link to that as your source.

Those we're of course assumptions but I can see why people may misinterpret it.

I will stop using that formatting.

Sorry for the confusion.

For OP...

I change the date of the note in meta data to stick it to the top. Do that in about half my notebooks to keep a running checklist near the top.

Great tip, but... it's a hack! and if you advise someone with a hack solution, that means that there is some need that can not find a (good) solution.

what I mean is that one need a kind of solution to make some notes particulary visible, in what ever way. Tags are at the bottom left, saved searchs too, and notebooks... well are notebooks.

I dont know exactly what, but i miss that feature!! :-)

greets.

Great tip, but... it's a hack! and if you advise someone with a hack solution, that means that there is some need that can not find a (good) solution.

Hack? Workaround? Or maybe it's just using the existing features to make the software do what you want it to do. Nothing wrong with that. In fact, it shows how flexible EN is.

• Level 5*

I've used the dating and the non-standard leading character in ! filename "hacks" in Evernote plus many others too specific and too numerous to name in various software over a l-o-n-g time to bend it to my evil needs. IMHO if there's a hack that works, you don't need to spend time on an extra bell or whistle to take its place. It's logically impossible for any software package to offer all the facilities that millions of users would like in the thousands of different scenarios in which it is employed. Evernote does a pretty good job of being a (green?) Swiss Army knife for the brain. (OK; major paradigm failure there, but you get my drift..)

• Level 5
For OP...

I change the date of the note in meta data to stick it to the top. Do that in about half my notebooks to keep a running checklist near the top.

Huh? I can't find any reference to meta data in the Evernote knowledgebase.

Would you care to expand on what you mean by changing the date of the note in meta data?

Is this a way to get around the missing Due Date field?

For OP...

Huh? I can't find any reference to meta data in the Evernote knowledgebase.

Would you care to expand on what you mean by changing the date of the note in meta data?

Is this a way to get around the missing Due Date field?

I think he's talking about the date created and/or updated.

• Level 5
For OP...

gbarry, if you really meant the date created field or updated field, why did you say meta data?

Spicing up your replies with geek talk can be confusing to us newbies.

For OP...

gbarry, if you really meant the date created field or updated field, why did you say meta data?

":The Dewey Decimal System employed by libraries for the classification of library materials is an early example of metadata usage."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Metadata

• Level 5
For OP...

gbarry, do you expect the Evernote forum users to run to Wikipedia to translate what you really mean?

On topic:

• You can achieve stickies / starring / whatever with tagging, as mentioned. Even with starring in gmail, I still use a red "IMP" tag to mark really important stuff.
  • For the usecase of todo lists, I have a saved search that goes like this: "tag:TODO -tag:Completed". This uses some advanced features of Evernote's search -- the tag: thing lets you search for a particular tag. Putting a dash in front of a term in a search negates it. So the above search finds "things that are tagged TODO but not tagged Completed". What this means as a user is that you can keep a bunch of TODOs, tagged TODO, and as you complete stuff, you can mark it Completed. You then use the saved search to be able to jump to the view of "active TODOs" quickly. (You can also simply search for tag:TODO and untag/delete TODO notes as they're completed... but I like keeping a more complete history.)

• 2 months later...

Hi all, this is a feature request I would like Evernote to keep considering.

I belive ´stickies´ or ´stars´ to be of a different type of usabtility or ´information management´ fuction than tags - very much so as ´stickies´ or ´stars´ are temporary prioritization around information requirements, where as tags are for the longer term. And all the ´hacks´ of using special characters, etc, even if they do work, are not acceptable product design features, so there is no reason to argue that these are good enough for ever.

Or, all the above expert input aside, I would like to hear the product philosophy directly from Evernote why such a feature as ´stickies´ or ´stars´ would not fit in their product plans.

respectively,

Grant

• Level 5*
Or, all the above expert input aside, I would like to hear the product philosophy directly from Evernote why such a feature as ´stickies´ or ´stars´ would not fit in their product plans.

Just so you know, this is primarily a user forum, and while Evernote staffers do participate, they do not necessarily come here to enlighten us about their plans and feature roadmaps, or justify their design decisions. Just so you know...

Archived