(Archived) Premium shared notebook and multiple edits

Gidday there,

I'm trying to coordinate our home grocery list with my wife (a free subscriber) by sharing a notebook and allowing her to modify notes within it. However, no matter how I try, whenever she makes an addition to a note, it gets marked as a conflict and the whole note gets uglified with many copies of the same data.

For example, I create a note in android. Then my wife adds a couple of items to the note, even though I'm not editing it, nor viewing it at that time, a conflict is noted. I tried to clean up the note in the web editor (because the android version doesn't allow me to select multiple checkboxed items or multiple lines in a bulleted list) and then made sure that none of my devices were looking at the note, and still the smallest modification by my wife leads to a 'conflicted' note.

What is the correct procedure to get multiple people to edit a single note without all this conflict business? I mean, besides switching to google docs?

• Level 5*

Evernote syncs back to the cloud "regularly" - but the precise timing depends on when you start the application and whether you have changed the default sync options for the client you're using. You may make changes to your version of a note, but until you sync to the cloud, and your wife then syncs her client, she won't have your changed note. If she makes changes and tries to sync that version, you will get the conflicts you have noted.

The only way to minimise the problem is to sync your client immediately before and after editing a note - at least you're then sure that you edited the latest version in the cloud, and a copy of your edits has been returned there. Avoiding the issues altogether may be more difficult - you'd have to ensure that the other person is not editing anything and has already synced their client before you start your own session.

Evernote is good for many things, but it can't deal with anything near real-time collaboration.

I guess a good feature might be a synching option per note. Synching manually on the client leads to a general procedure taking a lot of time and overhead, just for staying close to time in a - let's say "conversation".

"chatting" on shared notes is really a ponderable feature.

• 2 weeks later...

I don't think it's an immediate syncing issue. When I alter a (old) note on the device client, it says "uploading", jumps back to the notes list screen. In this overview I can immediately view the inserted "conflict" row in the note.

I guess a good feature might be a synching option per note. Synching manually on the client leads to a general procedure taking a lot of time and overhead, just for staying close to time in a - let's say "conversation".

"chatting" on shared notes is really a ponderable feature.

Syncing options per note would be a really heavy duty endeavor, at least presently. You can set for automatic syncs to occur at regular intervals. Pretty sure the default is 15 minutes (may have to look that one up). Real time collaboration over a single note, without conflicts, would be a pretty tall order too...

I don't think it's an immediate syncing issue. When I alter a (old) note on the device client, it says "uploading", jumps back to the notes list screen. In this overview I can immediately view the inserted "conflict" row in the note.

This sounds more like a bug to me, and I would suggest sending a note on over to our support queue link in my signature. If it's immediately creating a conflict row when you're editing an old note on a single client, that's another issue entirely than your original post.

Archived