Save PDF to Evernote print option gone after upgrade

prashantp76

Idea

43 replies to this idea

Thanks for the link, Caroline T--did the trick!

@Chris Lee:

While the App Store won't track updates, you can still set Evernote Preferences to check for updates automatically. For trusted sources, that's still a good option.

@cmuscarelle

I'm assuming you are using Firefox?

There is a serious bug for Firefox Web Clipper that talks to native clients if you have the Mac client 3.3 installed from the Apple App Store. We have a fix in the beta version posted here:

http://discussion.ev...ta-version-54/

Another option is to visit the preferences page and use the setting 'Send clips to web' if you are not comfortable using a beta version.

We are working to release the fix version asap.

Sorry, I am using Safari, not Firefox. After reading another post, I realized that I can drag a highlighted area to the Evernote icon at the bottom in my dock, but clipped rectangles do not go anywhere.

Thank you!

Running Mountain Lion on MBP with EN 3.3.0

When I use Print -> Send PDF to Evernote from any application, or any of the clipping functions from the menu bar, EN will open, but it will never create a new note with the requested content.

The only way I can now get EN to create a note with existing content is to manually drag the content (PDF, image, etc) directly into EN.

I have deleted and reinstalled EN.

I have re-run the Applescript that sets up the Send PDF to Evernote.

This always worked flawlessly on Lion and Snow Leopard. Never a problem before the upgrade.

Ditto here too. Works fine on the MBP with SL (10.6.8) still installed, but since updating Evernote on the MBAir (Lion 10.7.4), the Print > PDF > Evernote function stopped working. As with the OP, Evernote comes to the front, but the document doesn't import or open.

Chris Lee and Caroline, please post an update when you hear back from Support. Thanks!

Removing the Mac App Store version and installing the version downloaded from Evernote.com fixed my problem.

But I'm not happy with this workaround, since now I cannot track my app installation through the App Store app on my Mac.

I have the identical issue.

Tried uninstalling and reinstalling Evernote - my Current Version 3.3.0 (300201).

When I print pdf to Evernote it looks and acts like it used to, but the note never appears anywhere...???

I also lost the Save to Evernote option in my Print window in Mail. I tried some suggestions from this forum. I find that the shortcut (in Preferences) for Paste to Evernote (Cmd Control V) works well. I may even get used to it. I am running the MacApp Store Evernote and don't want to reinstall from the Evernote site. I did that and it caused a duplication of my notebooks, etc.

I see this is not a good solution. Still working on this.

Having the same problem since installing Mountain Lion. Ran the Script. Worked perfectly. Send PDF to Evernote Appears in the print window, but nothing shows up in Evernote once it is processed.

Really is one of my favorite features. Help!

As side note, in Mountain Lion there is a little right hand upward facing arrow (similar to OS for iPad/iPhone) in many applications like Safari and Preview. It gives you the option to either email, message or put the document into AirDrop.

How can I get Evernote into that list of options? That would be the fastest, most seamless way to get this done.

I'm having the same problem here on my Mac. The ability to print/save a PDF to evernote used to be a simple process. Now that process gives the appearance of working (looks like the page(s) are "printing" to evernote), but they never appear in Evernote.

The workaround I'm using is to export the document as a PDF to Evernote, which works fine, it's just slower and more time consuming. I'm still using OS Lion.

• Level 5*

You just need to edit the menu PDF menu and add a link to the evernote in the application folder.

This was so quick and helpful, and it worked!  Thanks!

An easier (and better longterm solution) might be to switch from the appstore version to the direct download one. Here are some instructions: http://discussion.evernote.com/topic/16062-uninstalling-everrnote-for-mac-os-x/#entry173494

You just need to edit the menu PDF menu and add a link to the evernote in the application folder.

An easier (and better longterm solution) might be to switch from the appstore version to the direct download one. Here are some instructions: http://discussion.evernote.com/topic/16062-uninstalling-everrnote-for-mac-os-x/#entry173494

FYI your "easier and better" solution involves several steps, including possibly having to go to the terminal, uninstalling the perfectly good App Store software, and installing a un-supported older version of the software.

In my opinion, adding the Evernote app to the PDF menu in the Print dialog is way easier -- and works just as well. AND I can get updates through the App Store without fuss -- which seems to be the "better longterm solution".

I did the "add to PDF menu" thing in, like, 10 seconds and bam! Problem solved.

I just wish that Evernote added itself to the PDF menu automatically, like Google Cloud Print does.

• Level 5*

FYI your "easier and better" solution involves several steps, including possibly having to go to the terminal, uninstalling the perfectly good App Store software, and installing a un-supported older version of the software.

In my opinion, adding the Evernote app to the PDF menu in the Print dialog is way easier -- and works just as well. AND I can get updates through the App Store without fuss -- which seems to be the "better longterm solution".

I did the "add to PDF menu" thing in, like, 10 seconds and bam! Problem solved.

I just wish that Evernote added itself to the PDF menu automatically, like Google Cloud Print does.

Sorry this doesn't seem like an easy solution, but it really only takes a few minutes and has nothing but benefits for you.

It is updated more quickly (it is always the "newer" and "supported" version), has more functionality, and updates automatically as well without any fuss. If you want to stick with the appstore version, that's cool, but I think it is an inferior experience without any benefits to the end user (as far as I can tell). It is there because Apple has an appstore and Evernote wants to be part of it (smart), not because it is better.

As for the Terminal command, it takes all of ten seconds to accomplish (I have screenshots and directions on my site), it gives you access to folders that Apple has hidden from you, and ultimately (as I now clearly state on my blog), it isn't even necessary. It is an extra step that you can skip if you don't like it. 

• Level 5*

The loss of this feature was evidently caused by Evernote in response to requirements for putting EN in the Apple Mac Store.

See Evernote Blog for details.

As suggested in other threads, here are some options to restore "Save PDF to Evernote":

OPTION #1: CREATE A NEW EN ALIAS

manually drill down into your ~/Library/PDF Services/ folder (which Apple has hidden in their latest OS release, so you'll have to know how to un-hide it), and then manually create an alias to Evernote.app

OPTION #2: INSTALL AN OLDER VER OF EN THEN UPGRADE

Cheat a little.... Grab an older version from here and then upgrade through the app

http://discussion.ev...833-mac-304-rc/

Do you mean the option in the print dialog to print a PDF to Evernote from an application OUTSIDE of Evernote?

If so, that's still available (at least on my Lion installation). You just need to select the target in the selection box you see after you press the PDF button at the lower left of the print dialog.

When I print anything and press the PDF button at the lower left, I'm presented with a menu of options. At the bottom (which sometimes requires scrolling down), I have the choice to "Edit Menu." Click that and you SHOULD be presented with a choice of destinations for the print job. You should be able to press the + button and add Evernote.

I am experiencing the same problem. When I tried to add Evernote using the "Edit Menu" option the result is that when you click on Evernote in the menu it just opens Evernote. It does not save the page to Evernote. Granted the clipping feature is available, but after having the ability built into the print function, it would not be the first thing one would think of. Also adding the infomation as a PDF to Evernote allows more flexibility. I hope that Evernote and Apple are able to fix this oversight.

• Level 5*

Do you mean the option in the print dialog to print a PDF to Evernote from an application OUTSIDE of Evernote?

If so, that's still available (at least on my Lion installation). You just need to select the target in the selection box you see after you press the PDF button at the lower left of the print dialog.

Hello. I just reloaded Lion from scratch last night, got all the OS updates, then installed Evernote (latest version). Now I am having the same problem everyone else has mentioned - when I go to print, and I choose the PDF drop-down, there it no PDF to Evernote option like I had before I reinstalled Lion and Evernote.

Can someone please explain how to get this back?

Thanks.

I just tried what jmpsfs suggested and it worked flawlessly. Went into the print dialog of Powerpoint for Mac, pdf menu, edit menu, clicked the "+", went to applications and found Evernote. It immediately created a new note in Evernote with a pdf of the powerpoint doc. FYI I am a new Evernote user and new Mac user with latest versions of Evernote and Lion installed.

If you want the non-Mac App Store version of Evernote that is the current release (which has the built-in functionality of 'Save PDF to Evernote' in the PDF Print dialogue in Mac OSX Lion), you can still download it from their site. Go to Evernote.com, then click on the link that says 'Get Evernote for mobile, tablet and other devices'. A pop-up appears, and if you click on the 'Computers' side > Mac OSX, it will download the .dmg for install. You can see a screenshot the download link here...

Cheers,

Jared

I used to be able to do this with no problems...but now, when I choose Cmd P, print pdf to evernote, it goes through the motions as in showing number of pages it's printing, but it doesn't show up in Evernote.

I'm quite a newbie, so not sure what other information to provide that would help...other than have just recently gone through a Lion reinstall.

Any guidance would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Version 3.1.0 (246062

Hey Willi, welcome to the forums.

There are several threads that might answer your question. In the upper right corner type "print pdf" into the search box and you'll see the links. Look through those and if you are still having difficulty post back on this thread.

Hello...

Tried to find the answer to my problem, but to no avail. I do think perhaps in reading the other posts that some further information might shed some light on this.

I have recently re-installed Lion. I believe that I had previously downloaded EN from their site, but I see that it is the one app that I have downloaded from the Mac App Store now, which perhaps I did on the re-install forgetting that I had purchased from their site. I checked the version and it now says 3.1.2. I'm not sure if this 'cross-over' between purchasing from the App Store and EN directly might have a bearing on my issue.

In any event, to be more precise, the problem I am experiencing is with printing a PDF which I received via Mail, which opens in Preview. I do get the 'Save PDF to Evernote' under the PDF button of the Print function, and as i mentioned previously once I choose that option for saving to EN, it goes through the counting of pages etc. as if it is going to save, but nothing shows up in EN.

Thanks for any help you can offer.

I am trying to do the same thing to no avail. I'd like to print a page or series of pages to Evernote from a PDF being viewed in either Preview (OSX 10.6.8) or Acrobat (9.0). How is that possible?

In Preview, I can Print, Select a Page(s), and then in the PDF button options "Save to Evernote" and my selected pages are now in Evernote. Unfortunately, in Acrobat, that process errors out and says that you can't save while printing. Any help there?

Thanks!

Archived