(Archived) Feature Request: Android Webclipper - web pages

gazumped

• Level 5*

I highlighted this before somewhere, so apologies if I'm repeating it; but just fell over the issue again.

When I clip a web page (at least when I choose ~share ~to Evernote from the page menu) from Android Firefox, what I get is the URL, not a copy of the page. This can, occasionally, suck - especially if looking at something like an on-the-fly temporary receipt page that has important information which will be 404'd next time you use the URL.

I have to remember (but didn't, again :( ) that to get the page I have to use Firefox's (?) Save to PDF feature, which downloads the file; then email that file to Evernote. Can't seem to find a way to move the file from my Downloads folder into a note. There might be other ways to grab a copy of the page, and if I find them I'll post them here. In due course however, Oh Great Golden He-Elephant of the Brain, it would be nice to have the same copy-the-content-not-the-url action (or option) that the Windows desktop client observes. Pretty please?

• Level 5*

Thanks for the suggestions @AndreasM - I'll have a look. From a quick read of the Market page for Bookmarklet Free though, it looks like this will still only save the URL, not the content? I'll try it out.

Edit: +15 minutes - have to remember: test first, comment after! Bookmarklet does indeed clip the necessary page and looks like its exactly what I need*. Thanks again!

*Until the guys come up with a revised clipper. anyhow. :)

Try to search the forum for Bookmarklet, and, also look at program Bookmarklet Free on the Android market. It works for me on my Droid Charge.

Good luck.

AndreasM

Another one I've tried and like (and use) is Readability Bookmarklet. It not only captures the content of the page, but totally reformats it in a way that makes reading it MUCH easier. 1. Open the app, and click 'create bookmarklet' 2. When you are on the content page you want to clip, go to Menu on your phone, and where it says Create Bookmark, click on the Readability Bookmarklet bookmark you just created. Done.

I've also downloaded and will try Bookmarklet Free. This works well, too, when you share the content, you can send to Evernote, FB, Twitter, etc. and many more options.

• Level 5*

Many thanks for the continuing suggestions - @Markus729, I've downloaded Readability but it's not obvious where I go from there; it seems like this is an extension for the Android browser, but I use Firefox. I'll poke around some more and see whether I can use this however...

Many thanks for the continuing suggestions - @Markus729, I've downloaded Readability but it's not obvious where I go from there; it seems like this is an extension for the Android browser, but I use Firefox. I'll poke around some more and see whether I can use this however...

Good point. I use the stock browser, and haven't tried on anything else...however, I would guess that if you click on the app itself, it may give you the same options?

BTW, how do you like Firefox for Android? I've tried new browsers, but none have really 'wowed' me. Can't believe there isn't a Chrome for mobile!

EDIT: JUST FOUND THIS ABOUT CRHOME ON ITS WAY TO BECOMING THE DEFAULT BROWSER

http://www.geek.com/articles/mobile/goo ... e-2011103/

• Level 5*
BTW, how do you like Firefox for Android?
It's probably one of those "whatever works" choices, but I use FF for desktop and like its plug-ins and add-ons; so have acquired a number of bookmarks to pages I favour. FF syncs bookmarks, so it was easy to transfer relevant ones to 'Droid. FF mobile has a different menu structure to the desktop version, but works in similar ways with tabs and has a killer "save page to pdf" option which comes in for a lot of Evernote-related use. I'm used to it, and would be loth to change. I know there are a lot of Chromeophiles out there, and with the Google connection it might wind up being the better browser - but I'm still going to hang on to Fox until dragged kicking and screaming etc etc.. ;)
For information: there seems to be a parallel thread at http://forum.evernote.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?f=51&t=30632 suggesting EverPaper which looks interesting..

Yes I'm the one who created that thread. I've tried Everpaper on the Xoom and it works well. Once you'set it up with your evernote email address Everpaper will send the full webpage to Evernote. I haven't found a way to do it automatically, so it is a 2 step process but it works well:

1. "Share" webpage to Everpaper while in the browser on your android tablet - that sends it to Everpaper

2. Then go to everpaper on the web (or the app, if you've got it), you'll see your note there. Click "Share" below the note and it sends it to Evernote using your evernote email address.

I haven't found a way to get the note sent by Everpaper to Evernote automatically - am I missing something? Anyway, much better than sending just the title and the url for the webpage.

Cool!

• Level 5*

Just signed up to Instapaper as required by EverPaper and saved a page - brain now hurting (my lack not theirs) as I try to work out which route to follow to save pages. My little grey cells seem a little maxed out.

Cautiously EverPaper seems like a fantastically good option - I've also installed their bookmark in my desktop browser, so I should be able (I think) to save pages from both Desktop and Droid into InstaP (via EverP while mobile) and -it says here- I can send those pages that I want to keep on to Evernote. (See the EP settings page to input your Evernote and Gmail email addresses.)

Once set up this seems like the most direct route to get information into Evernote from Droid web pages, though I'm disappointed it uses the email connection rather than the Evernote API. And you can't add extras to the email (I don't think) to specify the target notebook or tags. More to follow after I get to play with this a bit.

I feel another feedback email coming on... (to EP, not EN!)

You can specify destination folder and tags for each note. While in EverP, clicking Share on the note generates a pop up, this is where you indicate notebook and tags - you can't create new ones, and they have to match those that already exist in your Evernote account. Shame it doesn't use the Evernote API but it seems to work well.

• Level 5*

Must be different 'droids or something - when viewing a saved page my EverPaper has a toolbar with an Evernote icon (actually a floppy icon with an "evernote" caption) that when clicked says "emailing to Evernote". Unfortunately at the moment it also says "email failed" shortly after that without giving any other explanation... Seems to work pretty well (with this one slightly major exception) and may be the short-term answer to several Android threads I've seen lately about saving pages, choosing notebooks and assigning tags. Hey Evernote - you know that $50M you have in your back pocket? Wanna buy an app? :shock:

Ok mate, go to intapaper website, log in, then you'll be directed to the main page with all your notes to read later waiting for you - make sure you go into your Unread folder / tag.

Now - don't open any note, but notice the Share, edit, delete links below each note title? Click on share, then evernote and you'll see that pop up window - enter note title, notebook and tags. Off you go, click send and the note is waiting for you on ever note.

Does it work for you?

• Level 5*

OK - gottit, finally; was originally looking at the EverPaper screen, which also allows you to read clips and send to Evernote, though not with the nice headings, tags and notebooks choices that InstaPaper throws up.

EP is definitely the better interface for a mobile, so I'll devote a bit more time to trying to make that work, though IP has that nice choices option... so many process channels, so little time :?

Thanks very much for the extended and very clear howto - it's always difficult to follow a new process when you're squinting at a smartphone screen and then looking back at a grown-up size monitor to read the next step.

EverPaper even has a great syncing and integration with Google Chrome as an extension, called ChromaPaper. While in Chrome, if I see an article I want to read later, I can click on the READ LATER button that I drag onto my bookmarks bar, and it syncs with my mobile and EverPaper/Instapaper accounts. Neat!

• 1 year later...

Why is there no dedicated web clipper for Android phones? The one app I've seen has received extremely mixed reviews and there's no free trial. I've tried Skitch and it does not work as a substitute for a true web clipper. It's frustrating not to be able to save full pages in Evernote.

• Level 5*

A dedicated web clipper would need to work with all browsers available for the Android, right? Which browser do you use? I have 3 available currently on the Kindle Fire.

Archived