How do you setup a default notebook?

First, I hope you all won't hate me for asking. :oops: I did look around, both in the forum and in the help, but couldn't find anything. I also looked through the app as thoroughly as possible. I'll admit, though, that I'm in a bit of a hurry.

Is there a way to set the default notebook that the Android app auto-selects when you tap New Note? Right now it's selecting one that I would probably never write to from my phone.

You used to be able to do this in older versions, but I'm just not seeing the option now.

I'm also using the PC version, if that makes a difference.

Thanks in advance!

• Level 5*

I can't seem to find a way to change the default notebook via the Android client - you can set the default via the PC application, and you can specify a target notebook (and tags) via email. Maybe the work around is to set an "inbox" notebook as default and move your notes to the correct book on the PC?

• 2 weeks later...

From android client you can change the notebook while creating/editing a note.

The option to change Notebook is present next to tag, attachment, camera options on note composer screen.

Yes, android client doesnt have a feature to set the default notebook.

When I originally wrote I had changed the default on the computer and synced both sides but it wasn't taking; I checked the next day and it had.

So I guess that I can live with that for the time being, but I really hope that we can get the option back because being able to have different default notebooks for each device was a great feature; pictures, to-do/shopping lists, etc. on my mobile, writing on my personal system, thoughts about work on my work related system (I have multiple computers), and so on, without having to fuss with options when I just want to take a quick note. I'm always mis-placing notes otherwise.

• Level 5*

hgarg is (of course) quite right - the icon option to set a notebook is right next to the icon option to set a tag in the create/ edit screen. My only excuse is that I was looking in menus, not on the toolbar for notebook settings. Doh.

Still not an answer for someone wanting default notebooks assigned by client - which given the number of clients now is probably never going to happen. The only options seem to be:

1) a generic inbox as suggested above - you could set up note templates on (some of) your separate clients with pre-assigned tags for "mobile", "work" etc, or just remember to tag the notes from each client appropriately; you'd then have to move notes into an appropriate notebook. Or..

2) use email - you can assign both notebooks and tags as required. Or..

3) use your own tag in notes - a "#work" etc tag in the title or the body of each post would allow you to find all the relevant notes.

• 3 years later...

I'm struggling with the logic here...  Several years since this thread started, and still Evernote for Android & PC insist on assigning a default Notebook to new notes.  I found a solution to the MAC version, but I don't have a MAC.  I realize I can reassign a Notebook, but the fact is that a majority of new notes go to the same Notebook, and Evernote insists on defaulting to a different Notebook that I rarely use.  My primary Notebook is the only one favorited, and the only one enabled for offline sync, yet I cannot make it the default Notebook in Evernote.  Really?

I'm struggling with the logic here...  Several years since this thread started, and still Evernote for Android & PC insist on assigning a default Notebook to new notes.  I found a solution to the MAC version, but I don't have a MAC.  I realize I can reassign a Notebook, but the fact is that a majority of new notes go to the same Notebook, and Evernote insists on defaulting to a different Notebook that I rarely use.  My primary Notebook is the only one favorited, and the only one enabled for offline sync, yet I cannot make it the default Notebook in Evernote.  Really?

I'm not totally clear what you are wanting to do. BUT if you want a different default notebook this should help you figure out how to change to that notebook: https://evernote.com/contact/support/kb/#!/article/95603996 

The default notebook is the same for all devices on your account. Once you change it on the web or on Windows it should change in your Android app as well. 

• 2 months later...
  • 4 months later...

Using my samsung s4 and the evernote android app and firefox on my cell phone, when I want to save a webpage from within the firefox brower app, how do I specify which notebook it goes into?  seems all my notes go into the same notebook, which is what I do not want to happen.  And going into evernote after saving the pages and manually moving each save website into the notebook I wanted them to save it, is a pain. 

Shouldn't there be, or is there a way to pick which notebook each webpage I want to save is saved into?

Using my samsung s4 and the evernote android app and firefox on my cell phone, when I want to save a webpage from within the firefox brower app, how do I specify which notebook it goes into?  seems all my notes go into the same notebook, which is what I do not want to happen.  And going into evernote after saving the pages and manually moving each save website into the notebook I wanted them to save it, is a pain. 

Shouldn't there be, or is there a way to pick which notebook each webpage I want to save is saved into?

I use the chrome browser in Android, but I assume firefox will work similarly as this works in other Android apps now.

When the green circle pops up in the browser, tap it. You can then tap the shown notebook and change it as well as adding tags. 

• 1 year later...

This is the work around that I have been using.  Rename the Notebook that you want to be the Default Notebook to always appear on the top of the list in your Note 4 home screen and name it with an "!" exclamation mark.   Then open Evernote; on the All Notes Screen tap the 3 vertical dots on the top right; tap Sort By;  tap Notebook.  To be safe reboot devices and when opening Evernote on the Note 4 you will see the All Notes screen and at the top of the list  !RenamedDefault Folder with all the Notes in that Folder following.  There may be other notes below in a different folder, but for my purposes this worked fine.  Default always at the top.  Hope this helps

Archived