(Archived) In the Trunk: Evernote: The Unofficial eBook

Hi everyone - I'm extremely proud to let everyone know that with the blessings of the executive team at Evernote, I have published an eBook called Evernote: The unofficial guide to capturing everything and getting things done. In fact, my eBook is now in the Trunk -- right next to Brett Kelly's Evernote Essentials - another great honor!!!http://www.evernote.com/about/trunk/items/dangold-book?lang=en&layout=default&source=home

My eBook is designed to help your mind relax, allow you to breathe easier, and allow you to become more productive by making better decisions using Evernote. Learn how to take back control and become more productive by implementing best practices tied to the wildly popular Getting Things Done® (GTD®) methodology, which was developed by The David Allen Company.

There's already been a great review posted on DocumentSnap.com's blog http://www.documentsnap.com/evernote-the-unofficial-guide-to-capturing-everthing-and-getting-things-done-review/, and in a post tomorrow on 40tech.com.

I'd love all of your feedback and thoughts on what you all think and thanks so much to everyone as these forums have really helped me in getting the content together for my eBook!! Cheers!!

Read review and retweeted.

Some good links in your twitter feed.

Will probably come back to the book but I am uncertain about how I will use GTD with Evernote due to the delay in Zendone opening it's beta.

Still use RTM as my primary task manager/scheduler but with a lot less details. They now primarily live in Evernote notes with checkbox. Also make a lot of use of url links to Evernote in RTM.

Some things, like milk, don't even make it to RTM any more. :D

• Level 5

I just bought it via PayPal, put it into my Evernote, and will read through it tonight.

Initial comment: excellent price - great value for the information

Page 18 - Daily Agenda structure looks interesting - especially with the links

@Owyn - Thanks so much, that really means a lot to me! I think Zendone is going to be huge - but here's the awesome part of it all: all of the best practices, how-to's, and steps mentioned in the book are all possible even after Zendone goes public!

I hear you on the RTM front! That was my first soiree into this; and you've read in the book - I realized in the end, it just made so much more sense to centralize everything in Evernote!

Thanks again, Owyn!!

I just bought it via PayPal, put it into my Evernote, and will read through it tonight.

Initial comment: excellent price - great value for the information

Page 18 - Daily Agenda structure looks interesting - especially with the links

@jbenson2 - thank you so much!!! I did a lot of research on what price point I should settle on for an eBook and it ran the gambit between .99 and $25.00. Ultimately, through a lot of feedback on my blog, it made so much sense to just price it out at $5. From the number of eBooks sold so far, it turns out you were right!!

Thanks as well for the feedback on the Daily Agenda. I love, love, love, love note linking. It's absolutely my favorite and I've gotten so much use out of it - from agendas, to travel itineraries, to vacation planning, to master project notes, to client notes, etc.

Thanks again for your great feedback - it is so very much appreciated!!

Daniel,

I saw your book in the Trunk. I had some beer money in my PayPal account so I just bought a copy. I look forward to reading it. Evernote and GTD are my two favorite things. :-)

Okay, I'm a little more than halfway through it. You're one of these who appears to think the same things I'm thinking, but you say them much better. I think we've gone down the same path with productivity, GTD, app hell, returning to Evernote, notebooks versus tags, etc. I've made a couple of stabs of writing about this:

http://blog.johnmayson.com/2011/09/sett ... r-gtd.html

http://blog.johnmayson.com/2011/09/pape ... rnote.html

Even as I'm working on this series of blog posts I've discovered the power of shared notebooks so I make have to make an exception for these. I still prefer tags to notebooks however.

John

John- thanks so much for the reply and you did a fantastic job on the your 2 blog posts! I really enjoyed reading both, and I agree - we definitely have a lot in common! Thanks for the invite on LinkedIn? Are you on Google+? There's a great group of folks that are like-minded and you'd really enjoy the conversations.

Thanks again! ;)

@John. You sent me off on a GTD Ramble. I arbitarily stopped when I got 2 degrees away. Speed read and evernoted most of it. Nothing actionable yet, but, I will have it there when I am ready to progress to my next great thing (which might be Zendone).

One thing I have noticed about using Evernote extensively is that I have substantially reduced the number of browser tabs I keep open. Scan, clip and close. Keep those distractions (and system killers) away from me.

I still prefer tags to notebooks however.

I use a lot of temporary notebooks. I find them very useful for collecting related information for a current project. e.g. I have a Zendone planning notebook set up and the clips I just created will all get moved to that notebook when I process my inbox. Nothing more than that for the moment.

When the project is complete I do a final scan of the notes to ensure consistency of tags, etc and then move the notes back to a more general archive.

I have also recently started to fully journal what I do during a day to Evernote. Any note recording an action is assigned a tag "#dj". Again, e.g. I clipped your post in this thread and tagged the clip as "#dj" when clipped. Everything else is raw and untagged. That is all for later. This way I can easily see what started an action.

• Level 5

I'm halfway through the book.

Thoroughly enjoyed the walk down memory lane with 43 Folders and MoleSkines, etc.

I'm into the section that shows how powerful Evernote is in meeting some of the major GTD action items.

I've got "Collect" down pat.

It is a fun and informative read.

I'm halfway through the book.

Thoroughly enjoyed the walk down memory lane with 43 Folders and MoleSkines, etc.

I'm into the section that shows how powerful Evernote is in meeting some of the major GTD action items.

I've got "Collect" down pat.

It is a fun and informative read.

Yeah. Just set a 2 week followup to get the book. If I do it any sooner I will not get some other things done. No problem with will power. It's don't power that I need.

John- thanks so much for the reply and you did a fantastic job on the your 2 blog posts! I really enjoyed reading both, and I agree - we definitely have a lot in common! Thanks for the invite on LinkedIn? Are you on Google+? There's a great group of folks that are like-minded and you'd really enjoy the conversations.

Thanks again! :(

I'm a little peeved at Google. I'm an Apps customer meaning I cannot use Google Plus, Profiles, etc. yet. I could set all of that up with a plain @gmail.com account, but once they do open up everything for Apps customers I'd have to move over or kill one and start another. :-(

Thanks for feedback. I'm working on a third blog post. I think our execution is different enough that my blog post won't be a repost of your book. And I do plan to plug your book.

Archived