(Archived) HELP: Thumbnail view only in Lion full-screen mode?

rogw

Idea

I really like the ability to load programs into full-screen mode in Lion. And I love Evernote. But I don't like using the thumbnail version only in the full-screen mode. Does anyone know why Evernote only allows full-screen mode to only allow the thumbnail view and not the snippet or list views also? It seems to me, that I can scan the notes faster in snippet view. I have over 3400 notes in my file and most are simply text. I like the thumbnail view when I'm dealing with pictures, but most aren't.

Any ideas?

30 replies to this idea

It was a design choice they made. It was discussed quite extensively when in beta and they seem pretty firm in their belief that they are doing it correctly.

Personally, it makes full screen completely useless to me.....

Me too, it seems about as useful as adding a "Coverflow" view would be. Additionally, it is unexpected to hit "Full screen" from snippet view and have a completely different window, a shame as otherwise evernote has a very nice and consistent UI.

Only one reply from staff in six months. Isn't customer support part of the reason some of us pay for this service?

As Jefito said, if you need customer support, file a support ticket. Premium/paid users receive a reply within one business day, California time. Free accounts receive a reply as time permits.

• Level 5*
Only one reply from staff in six months. Isn't customer support part of the reason some of us pay for this service?

This is a user forum, not a technical support forum. If you want official Evernote support, then you file a support request. See the link in my signature.

Just opened evernote for the first time and went to fullscreen mode and got disappointed - Locking me into thumbnail view only in fullscreen is a real bummer. Fullscreen mode is suppose to be "better" not worse - The views modes button gets disabled! huh?!

Back to textedit for me!

I was hoping that there would be some news about plans to offer more viewing options for Evernote in fullscreen.

Since there aren't, I'm not going to renew my subscription with Evernote Pro. Completely useless. While Devonthink may not be the best solution for syncing across multiple devices, at least I *know* that they are working on it.

Disappointing.

Love Evernote, but it's basic usability for an interface and the way you interact with a app to remain consistent. It makes no sense to change the functionality simply because you add a few hundred pixels of real estate. Can't see a rationalization for this one. Evernote...any chance you'll rethink your implementation?

Like most people I expect full screen mode to simply go ... full screen.

If there are (technical?) "constraints" that prevent this simple logic, at least some info should pop-up the first time a user goes into full screen mode. This would have saved me an extra 30 minutes of preference browsing, Googling and reading through this topic.

Luckily, in general Evernote is still a huge time saver.

I'm also in favor of adding the other view options to fullscreen mode - I simply can't work in this mode because the thumbnail view isn't any good for me and what I do.

In short: Fullscreen mode = awesome, Fullscreen with only one view (thumbnails) = not useful at all for a lot of your users.

I want to like fullscreen mode, I really do. I think it "looks" better...but it's just not as useful. I also find it has some mysterious sorting options. Yesterday, all my thumbnails seemed to be sorted alphabetically by title. Now, they are sorted by date (ascending, oldest on top). No where can I figure out how I changed that, how I switch it to descending....I just don't get how I am supposed to manipulate sorting.

We take the sorting order you're using before you enter fullscreen mode.

Created an account here specifically to chime in on this issue; I agree with all the feedback here that the behavior - ie only thumbnail view in fullscreen mode - makes Evernote unworkable for me in fullscreen mode. I've got around this by creating a desktop, sticking Evernote on that desktop and then sizing the window up but not making it fullscreen so I can still control the view. But that means the dock is still there when I don't want or need it. Confusing and a bit annoying that it doesn't "just work" in fullscreen mode really - I've come to expect better than this from Evernote :rolleyes:

I want to like fullscreen mode, I really do. I think it "looks" better...but it's just not as useful. I also find it has some mysterious sorting options. Yesterday, all my thumbnails seemed to be sorted alphabetically by title. Now, they are sorted by date (ascending, oldest on top). No where can I figure out how I changed that, how I switch it to descending....I just don't get how I am supposed to manipulate sorting.

*mumble mumble* oh hello there!

Yes, this was a design decision made based on a few constraints, but I agree with most of the feedback here.

Side notes:

I too was wondering, "who in the world uses those darn thumbnails? Who are these weirdos?" and then I saw a few coworkers who have that as their view and I've tried to be mum about it

I also miss the old "spaces" they made more sense for me. I also liked being only one "arrow" away from a two different spaces and set up stuff to the right and below. This new spaces also seems wonky at times and it hurts my head both as a Mac user and as someone trying to get Evernote to play nice.

Having different views be premium features sounds silly to me.

• Level 5*

There has been no suggestion that it will...saying that, Evernote don't share their roadmap, but then again they were pretty adamant that at least for the time being they thought they had made the right choice.

In conclusion, no news.

okay, yeah. I saw this thread after I posted. Thank you.

I love Lion. I love evernote. I don't think the fullscreen mode is fully adapted yet. I think there is some growth yet to happen. I actually miss the "old" spaces, it worked and organized more cleanly.

As to Evernote, it's the greatest, and until they work out the fullscreen stuff, I'll just keep dragging it to it's own space. :-)

It was a design choice they made. It was discussed quite extensively when in beta and they seem pretty firm in their belief that they are doing it correctly.

Can you point me to the thread on this? I'd like to see what is said and why.

I do like the others have said - don't use the full-screen mode, put it into it's own space, but that makes it cumbersome and clunky.... And please don't misread me...I'm generally an early adopter and love change - but this is a downgrade, to limit the features. Kind of weird actually....

I have to agree with all the above comments.

I don't see why Evernote acts any different in full screen than it does as a window

I love fullscreen and use it for all my apps (well those that support it) but Evernote is useless with all those big icons and unusable in full screen for me.

A real disappointment in what is otherwise one of the best apps on my Mac (and iPhone and iPad)

I love the idea of fullscreen, but I'm also not a fan of the fullscreen view. Not being able to scroll through other notes while working in a note is a practical (not just aesthetic) reason why I'd like to have the option to use other views while in fullscreen.

Edit: I'll also add that it's very useful to be able to have a few notes open (in a window) at a time, which (as far as I can tell) is not possible in fullscreen.

For now, I just maximize Evernote's window and put it in its own Desktop. Not ideal, though.

• Level 5*

Archived