Change the default start-up note

At startup, Evernote defaults to the same note from months ago regardless of whether I use Evernote Web, the Win Desktop version or Mobile, or if I set the view to sort by Created, Updated or other.

It always starts in the same note, which is buried in the middle of all my other notes. I created this note back in June. I've created and modified hundreds since then, yet Evernote is locked on that note.

How can change the default for which note is opened at startup?

• Level 5*

In the Windows client, at least, the starting condition seems to be persisted from the exit state, that is, on startup, the context seems to be the same as when I exited Evernote. It may be a simple notebook selection, or it may be a saved search, but from what I can tell, it's pretty much the same as it was when Evernote was shut down (except maybe for Attributes selection). List view sort order is maintained, even, as nearly as I can tell, the last note selected. I know that some of this is persisted in the Windows registry (note list state), but I'm not sure where the rest is stored. So it sounds like my experience is different fro yours. I'm not sure why that is. We occasionally do get reports that the note list state is not persisted, but I've never come to understand how that could be.

Thanks Jeff...

If it's created in the WinReg, then I would expect the default note to be different if on a different work station.. I stand corrected on the Win version.. mine does act like yours and opens to the last state.

Not so on the web version though.. what determines which note the web version opens? The one it has chosen as default has no rhyme or reason to it....It just a random note from July that is locked to the web version as default.

Not so on the web version though.. what determines which note the web version opens? The one it has chosen as default has no rhyme or reason to it....It just a random note from July that is locked to the web version as default.

IME, the web page opens using the last view option you used (IE date created descending, date updated ascending, title ascending, etc) but is at the first note at the top of the list.

If you are opening the web client from a bookmark you may have inadvertently included a note guid in the url.

That's a nice catch, on the Web side of things.

And THAT, is exactly one of the reasons why something that "should be easy to implement" (according to a user) annoys me. Those of us who are long time developers already know this. You can test the heck out of something (and I'm talking on a single platform) and beta test it with some of the more adventurous users. But the minute you roll it out to the public, there normally will be problems b/c you (developer), as a human being, can't always anticipate how some users will be doing something and it even flew past beta testing b/c none of your beta testers did it this particular way.

If you are opening the web client from a bookmark you may have inadvertently included a note guid in the url.

It is an easy error to make. The web client url always includes the current note guid. If you just bookmark it and don't edit the url before saving, then...

Not a bug. Just an awkwardness.

And THAT, is exactly one of the reasons why something that "should be easy to implement" (according to a user) annoys me. Those of us who are long time developers already know this. You can test the heck out of something (and I'm talking on a single platform) and beta test it with some of the more adventurous users. But the minute you roll it out to the public, there normally will be problems b/c you (developer), as a human being, can't always anticipate how some users will be doing something and it even flew past beta testing b/c none of your beta testers did it this particular way.

Sorry.. I didn't mean any disrespect by posing the question. It was an honest mistake. And, I do appreciate the solution!

:D

Sorry.. I didn't mean any disrespect by posing the question. It was an honest mistake. And, I do appreciate the solution!

:D

None taken. However, there are so many posts on this board about something that "should be easy to implement." (Yours was not one - you simply posted a question.) I simply piggybacked. :D

• 3 years later...

Archived