(Archived) Help Restoring Deleted Material

DocFox

Idea

I tried using Time Machine as listed on: http://www.evernote.com/about/kb/articl ... re?lang=en

My files show up for a second and then disappear. Ugh. This all happened due to deleting the files from my iPhone which being synced to my computer deleted the files there (which I did not think it would do - better to look before you leap!)

Anyway, I am open to suggestion. I am running a Mac Mini, duo Intel, 1.83 gHz, 4 GB memory and system 10.6.8 (have not gone to Lion yet)

Any thoughts. The data is there, but how do I get it?

Thanks in advance. :-D :-D

Jim

4 replies to this idea

OK, I used Time Machine to bring the data file up from the data I lost my notes. I got one (typewritten) which was only one of 30 notes. The rest were voice memos. Anybody have ANY thoughts at all about where the voice memos went? Are they not stored in the data file? They should be there, pulling up the data (I kept the original data file and guess what, they have the same voice notes).

Any thoughts at all, or am I just hosed.

Jim

OK, I used Time Machine to bring the data file up from the data I lost my notes. I got one (typewritten) which was only one of 30 notes. The rest were voice memos. Anybody have ANY thoughts at all about where the voice memos went? Are they not stored in the data file? They should be there, pulling up the data (I kept the original data file and guess what, they have the same voice notes).

When you say you kept the original data file, are you saying you kept the Evernote database file that you restored from Time Machine & that contains the accidentally deleted audio notes?

EN stores attachment files in the EN database on the Windows client & I think the Mac client functions similarly, but can't say for certain. After you restored from Time Machine, were the ~29 missing voice notes in the trash? Did the notes exist but were simply missing the audio file?

If you're able to find them, I would try a couple of things, if I were you. First, I would be sure to save a copy of the EN folder/files that contain the accidentally deleted files.

Next, I would try exporting one of the voice notes to enex format. I would take that same note & move it to a local (non-sync'd) notebook. I'd then sync. Now, does the audio note you moved to a local notebook still exist? If so, try moving it back to the sync'd notebook & sync. Did it remain? (I'm thinking it will be deleted, but can't say for sure.) If not, now, import the note from the enex file into a sync'd notebook & sync. Did the newly imported note remain after the sync? (I'm thinking it should remain after the sync.) I would try this with only one note b/c if you repeatedly try different methods with all ~29 notes, you could chew up a lot of your monthly upload allowance & possibly even max it out.

If either of these methods work for you, then you know how to proceed. If you're close to maxxing out your monthly upload limit, then you could temporarily store some of the restored notes in local/non-sync'd notebooks until your allowance refreshes.

If either of these methods do not work for you, then you should open a support ticket. (See my sig.)

Good luck.

Archived