(Archived) DroidX will not sync after re-install

jwill911

My DroidX died (or became bricked after upgrade) so my provider replaced it. I haven't been able to get Evernote to sync after trying to re-install several times. When I check "files" on my SDCard I have an EverNote folder which contains multiple subs. From the App on my DroidX if I try to create a new note I get " ! Create note error Please wait til the default notebook is synced to the device". This has not changed in a couple of days that is why I deleted the app and re-installed to no avail. Under settings > account info evernote email address is "unknown". This is a free account not Premium. Have I exceeded my free?

Thanks,

jw

The next day when I launched Evernote I noticed it was syncing and all looked normal initially but I can't open any of the notes. I can see them in thumbnail or summary view but cannot open any of the notes attempting to do so yields ! "could not load this note" "Retry". Using option button > "edit" gets "note is currently not available".

Hi JW,

Sorry for the problems you are having and thank you for your help.

A couple of requests:

1. Can you kill the Evernote app from the Android menu or using a task killer and then launch it again and then go directly into the evernote menu and send the logs again? This will capture an important part of the database initialization to help us see what the error is.

2. After emailing us the info, can you reboot the phone and see if the issue goes away? I ask this because I wonder if the SD card has been remounted as read-only because of some file system error.

Thanks,

Jess

Thanks! Logs sent with above subject.

Also rebooted the phone.

I was able to create a test note. It hasn't sync'ed yet so all notes and notebooks are empty (0).

It is suspicious that the SD card is not readable. On the times I re-installed the app I was presented with some options, don't remember the exact syntax but three radio buttons something like "different SD card?"

Thanks again,

jw

Hi again Jess,

I seem to be having some degree of success now all text based notes are opening OK. One that contains several images is not opening with the " ! could not open this note" "retry (button)". In the summary view it displays a static progress wheel.

Better ;-)

I closed and reopened the app and did a manual sync now it displays "last sync failed at: Sep 9 12:58pm error code 10: disk I/O error. Maybe that note is corrupted on the SD card I'm OK with deleting it. That project is nearly done anyway.

Thanks,

jw

HI,

I'm posting here because I think that my case has some similarities: After last update of Evernote on my android (HTC Desire HD) I have strange behavior with SD Card:

Often I got the message that SD card is mounted read only, after which I must sync all notes from scratch. Sync finish successfully but it does not lasts for long. After while I get the same message for SD card.

Sometimes after sync finishes content of notes is real mess: only bunch of some strange characters. Sometimes it's ok.

I've reinstalled evernote few times (with phone reboot). Also I've scanned/repaired the SD card on Win7 (as soon as I insert the card, Win 7 offers to check and repair), deleted evernote folder on it prior evernote installation and syncing.. .

I don't claim that SD Card is 100% ok, but I suspect that has something to do with last update. Prior that evernote was functioning excellent ... and I was very happy EN user ;).

Regards,

Hi,

In the new update (version 3.2), we shifted the notes db to sdcard so that user can have more notes without running out of phone's memory.

It looks like your phone's sdcard is not behaving properly and goes into read only mode every often.

Pls send us logs and we will investigate if we are doing something wrong to make sdcard go into that mode.

We would need logs for 2 scenarios -

1. Start of evernote app.

Force stop the app (do not clear cache) from phone's setting and then start Evernote.

You must see the Evernote's home screen. Now immediately go to Evernote settings and send us the logs.

2. When sdcard goes into read only mode.

More instructions are posted here -

viewtopic.php?f=51&t=29564

Thanks,

Hemant

Evernote Android developer

I'm having very similar problems since the upgrade. The system would not save and upload a very simple note the first time I used Evernote after the upgrade. Then it wouldn't read any of my notebooks and gave me some sort of weird account status unknown when I tried to check my account in the Android app. After uninstalling, removing the Evernote file folder, checking the SD card for errors, and reinstalling, sync still fails, hanging up while syncing thumbnails.It's a large database. And I suspect there's something wrong with how the new version is writing its files to the SD card.

Everything worked great with the prior version and I miss using Evernote. Help!

I'm having very similar problems since the upgrade. The system would not save and upload a very simple note the first time I used Evernote after the upgrade. Then it wouldn't read any of my notebooks and gave me some sort of weird account status unknown when I tried to check my account in the Android app. After uninstalling, removing the Evernote file folder, checking the SD card for errors, and reinstalling, sync still fails, hanging up while syncing thumbnails.It's a large database. And I suspect there's something wrong with how the new version is writing its files to the SD card.

Pls send us logs and we will investigate the issue.

Start Evernote and wait for any error to happen such as thumbnail fetch hanged or not able to open the notebook.

Then immediately send the logs by following the procedure (viewtopic.php?f=51&t=29564).

Also, just check if your sdcard has enough free space.

Thanks,

Hemant

Pls send us logs and we will investigate the issue.

Start Evernote and wait for any error to happen such as thumbnail fetch hanged or not able to open the notebook.

Then immediately send the logs by following the procedure (viewtopic.php?f=51&t=29564).

Also, just check if your sdcard has enough free space.

Thanks,

Hemant

Will do. Finally got it working, by rebooting every time the sync hung up. It took forever. Now that the sync is complete, I've had to reboot once when Evernote did the weird no database "Getting Started" thing. It's now just a very annoying bug.

Strange as it may seem now all is working and I didn't do anything further.

I didn't have time over the weekend to deal with this so I didn't do anything. This morning I opened the app and tapped the note with the diagrams and imported images that wouldn't update or open. After a minute or so of progress icon viola it opened. I made another edit and waited for it to sync with the desktop and all is working. :)

Thanks again for your support EverNote.

jw

I have a rooted nook and have been having nightmare problems like you, constant crashes almost as soon as app launches. I tried uninstall, reinstall, even wiped cache, logout, login, wipe database, even wipe nook and reinstalled everything... Get the point?

What I finally did that seems to have fixed the problem:

• [*:3a87zasl]uninstall evernote
    [*:3a87zasl]delete evernote directory from SD card

My theory is that the uninstall left stuff files or permission problems from old versions. Also I don't think their is any cost to doing this since all your data get restored upon sync. I just did this minutes ago but If I have problems later I'll let everyone know.

Thanks evernote team this is fantastic software, it's not often that great engineering, pleasing aesthetics, and ease of use meet but you've done it.

EDIT 1:

That worked for a while but as I set my notes to available offline and it started downloading everything went badly. No crashes but sync errors. I just installed the beta and it looks like things are downloading again. We'll see if that solves it. Here is the beta3 http://forum.evernote.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?f=51&t=29824

• 4 weeks later...

:( Help _ Have uninstalled and reinstalled twice now. My droidx system just updated and these problem have gone on ever since. Cant take pictures with ENote either. Sad. Lost three of my recent notes. Paid for premium service recently and was looking forward to great things, too. Help! Please.

Here is the log:

Note count=

Res count=

Checking DB status

IsTablet: false

Brand: verizon

Model: DROIDX

Network operator: 31000 / Verizon Wireless

Android version: 2.3.3

Evernote version: 3.2.1

Evernote revision: 193673

Evernote type: public

Evernote username: x41

Internal storage: 6 GB / 6 GB

External storage: 3 GB / 14 GB

:) Help _ Have uninstalled and reinstalled twice now. My droidx system just updated and these problem have gone on ever since. Cant take pictures with ENote either. Sad. Lost three of my recent notes. Paid for premium service recently and was looking forward to great things, too. Help! Please.

Here is the log:

Note count=

Res count=

Checking DB status

IsTablet: false

Brand: verizon

Model: DROIDX

Network operator: 31000 / Verizon Wireless

Android version: 2.3.3

Evernote version: 3.2.1

Evernote revision: 193673

Evernote type: public

Evernote username: x41

Internal storage: 6 GB / 6 GB

External storage: 3 GB / 14 GB

Pls send us logs (viewtopic.php?f=51&t=29564).

Thanks,

Hemant

Archived