(Archived) Migration from PC to Mac

Beefcaker

Idea

Hi Gurus,

I have a problem.

Recently I bought a MacBookPro where I up until that day was a Windows user (yes, yes, wisdom only comes with the years :D ).

as I use Evernote daily both privately and professionally I have of course installed this also on my Mac.

Now I have the following issues:

- I have several excel sheets that I constantly maintain and modify. Now this is perfectly possible in Windows to change the .xls files and save them again, so changes are also available in the notes (eg also for other devices that have the notebooks available).

If I now right-click on the xls sheet and take 'open in Numbers', this sheet is available for modification, but when I save it, the Mac OS wants to save in in .numbers format. I can change it into .xls, but it does not retain the folder where the original .xls was stored (evernote/attachments). This results in the fact that I cannot change the attachments anymore that are already in my notes.

- I don't seem to get the location where the attachments are stored of the different notes. Can someone tell me where these are stored on the Mac HD?

Thanks for helping me out here!

KR,

Micha

12 replies to this idea

• Level 5*

Are you planning on maintaining these spreadsheets in Numbers now? If so, it may make sense to just save them somewhere the first time you update and then drag them into Evernote. Changes you makes subsequently should operate fine.

Are you planning on maintaining these spreadsheets in Numbers now? If so, it may make sense to just save them somewhere the first time you update and then drag them into Evernote. Changes you makes subsequently should operate fine.

HI Metrodon, in fact I want to be able to maintain them both in Numbers and in MS Excel.

I get the feeling that the only solid solution is installing the Student version of MS Office for Mac...

I don't seem to get the location where the attachments are stored of the different notes. Can someone tell me where these are stored on the Mac HD?

Attachments are stored in the EN database. Any files you may find outside of the database are simply orphan work files for Evernote.

viewtopic.php?f=38&t=11590&p=46293&hilit=temporary#p46293

Hi... I am a new Evernote user and I am not sure if this is the appropriate place to ask this question but I will give it a whirl. So I purchased the upgrade version of Evernote for the PC and just started to add some data... however, I am contemplating a switch to MAC and setting aside for a moment all of the discussion about the new MAC OS and Evernote not playing together nicely, I am wondering if I would be best served by waiting to input data until I get my new MAC. I cannot tell by reading the forums if migrating from PC to MAC is simple or if it is best to just wait and put all the data in using the new MAC and the Evernote MAC version... (hmmm, I wonder if I will have to purchase a completely new Evernote license... well, no matter...) Thanks for taking time to answer what I suspect is a basic question for those having experience with Evernote. Dave

• Level 5*

Doesn't make any difference - assuming that the majority of your notes will be sync'd when you create them on your PC, they will then by sync'd down to your new Mac when you get it.

By the way, Evernote works very well on Lion.

Thank you very much! Now I hope and trust that all these forum comments about the new MAC OS not working well with Evernote leads to rapid resolutions! I can't wait to make the switch to MAC and get my life into the clouds with Evernote! Thanks again! Dave

• Level 5*
I get the feeling that the only solid solution is installing the Student version of MS Office for Mac...

I have extensively used Evernote on both a Windows PC (Win7 Pro x64) and a MacBook Air (13-in, 2011, Lion).

My observations/recommendations based on actual experience:

1. [*:1a2npfjc]Go for MS Office 2011 Mac Home and Office, unless you are extremely short of cash. The few extra bucks are worth it.
    [*:1a2npfjc]I routinely save and open Excel files stored in Evernote on both my PC and Mac
    [*:1a2npfjc]If you have used Excel for a long while and/or are a power Excel user, don't waste your time on Numbers.
    [*:1a2npfjc]All of the Office 2011 apps open very quickly and perform very well on the Mac
    [*:1a2npfjc]There are a number of
Evernote Windows features that have been missing from Evernote Mac for 8, 10, 12 months or more

I stumbled onto this thread while trying to find out if the EN database is the same on both Windows and Mac — but I thought it worth chiming in with my experience using Office for Mac 2011.  I bought a copy shortly after switching to Mac, and although it's a laudable step in the right direction for Microsoft, it's obviously short on features compared to the Windows version.

If you already have a copy of Office for Windows, then please take my advice and do what I wish I had done in the first place:  install a copy of Parallels on your Mac, which lets you run Windows apps surprisingly well, including the feature-rich Windows versions of Excel, Word, etc.  With Parallels installed, these apps will open automatically whenever you access an associated file stored in Evernote for Mac.

Archived