Note Content Hierarchy (Outline, Tree) Numbering

Evernotes needs hierarchical numbering in its Notes content. Hierarchical, or Legal, numbering (e.g., 1.3.2.7) adds higher context (e.g., item 7 is part of item 2, within item 3, within item 1) to each item, and thus signicantly more intelligence to the overally outline of items, and also allows the organization of the details of an item (e.g., all the parts and subparts of 1.3.2.7). With hierarchical numbering, you can tell both the composition and context of an outline item.

It also needs to fix its bullet features so that the bullets are inherited properly with a new line, or with pasting of new lists or paragraphs.

Evernote also quickly needs to add hierarchical structures to it Stacks (i.e., stacks within stacks) so that Notebooks and Notes can be organized in a richer, more accurate and specific context.

• Level 5*
Evernotes needs hierarchical numbering in its Notes content. Hierarchical, or Legal, numbering (e.g., 1.3.2.7) adds higher context (e.g., item 7 is part of item 2, within item 3, within item 1) to each item, and thus signicantly more intelligence to the overally outline of items, and also allows the organization of the details of an item (e.g., all the parts and subparts of 1.3.2.7). With hierarchical numbering, you can tell both the composition and context of an outline item.

This has been requested before. Probably involves a whole set of UIs, so that the various multi-level outlining styles are supported. No idea whether it's in the works or not, short-term or long-term.

It also needs to fix its bullet features so that the bullets are inherited properly with a new line, or with pasting of new lists or paragraphs.

In the Windows client at least, this has gotten better. There's still the occasional corner case that pops up for me. The best thing that you can do is post, in the forum appropriate to the client that you are using, cases where this breaks down or doesn't behave as you expect.

Evernote also quickly needs to add hierarchical structures to it Stacks (i.e., stacks within stacks) so that Notebooks and Notes can be organized in a richer, more accurate and specific context.

A much-discussed topic. No idea whether Evernote is planning deeper hierarchical structuring or not. You can search the forum for existing discussion on the topic.

• 4 weeks later...
  • Level 5*

Or they made a design decision not to....

Lots of people (me included), don't have the need for this kind of structure. I'm guessing this is Evernote's target market.

• Level 5

What!

There is no standard alphanumeric outline* format in Evernote?

I'm shocked, shocked!

• * An alphanumeric outline uses Roman numerals, then capitalized letters, then Arabic numerals, and then lowercase letters, in that order. The Chicago Manual of Style suggests the sequence I. A. 1. a) (1) (a) i) (capital roman numerals with a period, capital letters with a period, numerals with a period, lowercase letters with a single parenthesis, numerals with a double parenthesis, lowercase letters with a double parenthesis, and lowercase roman numerals with a single parentheses) for the first seven levels.

Of course, if I insert a line, I would expect the rest of the outline to automatically update itself to reflect the change.

Seems mighty easy for a computer programmer to knock off.

• Level 5*
What!

There is no standard alphanumeric outline* format in Evernote?

I'm shocked, shocked!

• * An alphanumeric outline uses Roman numerals, then capitalized letters, then Arabic numerals, and then lowercase letters, in that order. The Chicago Manual of Style suggests the sequence I. A. 1. a) (1) (a) i) (capital roman numerals with a period, capital letters with a period, numerals with a period, lowercase letters with a single parenthesis, numerals with a double parenthesis, lowercase letters with a double parenthesis, and lowercase roman numerals with a single parentheses) for the first seven levels.

Of course, if I insert a line, I would expect the rest of the outline to automatically update itself to reflect the change.

Seems mighty easy for a computer programmer to knock off.

I read that and now I have a headache for which I am holding you responsible.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 years later...

I completely agree.  There are many comments on this forum (dating back some 3 or 4 years now) and the web stating that evernote (a notes app) doesn't outlined notes very well.  Hmmmm...  Evernote's current "numbered" outline format is grotesque.  It's very confusing to outline when the number resets for each indentation.  How hard could it be make a Harvard sytle outline?  If evernote does not wish to make nice looking outlined formats available to their users who would really really like it, then they should say something to the community as such.

I completely agree.  There are many comments on this forum (dating back some 3 or 4 years now) and the web stating that evernote (a notes app) doesn't outlined notes very well.  Hmmmm...  Evernote's current "numbered" outline format is grotesque.  It's very confusing to outline when the number resets for each indentation.  How hard could it be make a Harvard sytle outline?  If evernote does not wish to make nice looking outlined formats available to their users who would really really like it, then they should say something to the community as such.

Evernote does not publish their roadmap or ETAs. That's just how they roll. So you should work under the assumption that if the feature does not exist and you need it, that you should find a workaround or another app, rather than hope/wait for it to be added...since it may never be.

Evernote does not publish their roadmap or ETAs. That's just how they roll. So you should work under the assumption that if the feature does not exist and you need it, that you should find a workaround or another app, rather than hope/wait for it to be added...since it may never be.

You are correct, EN will probably never add this feature, but how can progress be made without suggestions from users?  But I do completely agree with your reply.  Hope is what keeps me going :) but I will look elsewhere.

You are correct, EN will probably never add this feature, but how can progress be made without suggestions from users?  But I do completely agree with your reply.  Hope is what keeps me going :) but I will look elsewhere.

I'm sorry, but please point out where I said you should not make suggestions...???

Archived