(Archived) Feature Request: To Do List

I know evernote can kinda do a to do list by adding items into a note with a checkbox, but I'd really like to see something more. What I am looking for the is ability to vcreate multipule lists, share them like I can notebooks. Be able to link notes in evernote to an item in the list, be able to assign taks in the list to anyone its shared with, and the ability to have due dates and reminders, and to sync with calendar apps like Google Calendar to show to do list items on their due date.

• Level 5*

I think that if you search the forum for "todo list" or similar, you'll find that Evernote's primary focus is on note storage and retrieval, rather than being a todo list manager. I believe that the aim is mainly to provide enough pieces for third-party developers to provide the kind of solution you're seeking. You should try looking in the Trunk: http://www.evernote.com/about/trunk/

It may not be the primary focus, but it would be highly complimentary. Evernote is an outstanding information manager. And traditionally information managers have also performed some type of task management capability. It's a very natural add-on/evolution, since we often need to act on information. The fact that they've already added a basic to-do attribute speaks to that. So I hope to see them add a few more task management features.

Ryan, the best I can suggest right now is to use tags for action management. I'm sure some other users have more to contribute on the subject.

I can't say that I could quote you the exact mission if you will of evernote, but I would describe it personally as a system that help you remember and organize things you want to remember. I think a to do list would naturally be part of that, and evernote already has some such functionality, I am simple suggesting additinal features to expand that functionality and make it more useful. If I wanted to use something else I could search for a to do list manager on Google, but there is something to be said about keeping things simple by not having too many diffrent systems for stuff.

I can't say that I could quote you the exact mission if you will of evernote, but I would describe it personally as a system that help you remember and organize things you want to remember. I think a to do list would naturally be part of that, and evernote already has some such functionality, I am simple suggesting additinal features to expand that functionality and make it more useful. If I wanted to use something else I could search for a to do list manager on Google, but there is something to be said about keeping things simple by not having too many diffrent systems for stuff.

There's nothing wrong with suggestions. OTOH, many of us have been in the forum long enough that we know EN's take on a particular topic from previous posts. So there is nothing wrong with us relaying that information to users who are looking for a particular feature. And, again, it's EN's decision as to how much calendaring/to do/task list manager/etc it will incorporate. They have been VERY CLEAR about their stance on that.

viewtopic.php?f=30&t=16130#p64175

Of course, that could change but I wouldn't count on it unless & until it's mentioned or rolled out. SO...if that's a "must have" for you, you'll need to look at other apps or third party add ons.

There's nothing wrong with suggestions. OTOH, many of us have been in the forum long enough that we know EN's take on a particular topic from previous posts. So there is nothing wrong with us relaying that information to users who are looking for a particular feature. And, again, it's EN's decision as to how much calendaring/to do/task list manager/etc it will incorporate. They have been VERY CLEAR about their stance on that.

1. That thread that you quoted communicates to me the exact opposite, which is that they do in fact intend to add some task functionality. Maybe not heavy duty, but more task functionality nonetheless. Which would make a lot of us very happy.

Based on what I read the user request, it looks like some of that functionality is already in the pipeline. Granted, maybe not all of it, but perhaps other parts could be added via 3rd party. For instance, a developer might create something that adds due dates to Google or Outlook calendars.

2. Actually there is something wrong with it, when it's consistently done in a one-sided manner that ignores gray areas, stifles discussion, and instead just gives the impression "it's not going to happen". For instance, why didn't someone instead say "this subject has come up a lot and they do have some more features in the pipeline though they've indicated that don't intend to try to make it a heavy duty task manager". Wouldn't that have presented a more accurate and helpful response?

Secondly, companies constantly adjust their feature sets based on user feedback, so even if they've indicated it's not a primary focus, if they see it's a primary request, they may adjust their road map.

For instance, why didn't someone instead say "this subject has come up a lot and they do have some more features in the pipeline though they've indicated that don't intend to try to make it a heavy duty task manager". .

You can mince words all you want but that's what Jeff said...

I think that if you search the forum for "todo list" or similar, you'll find that Evernote's primary focus is on note storage and retrieval, rather than being a todo list manager. I believe that the aim is mainly to provide enough pieces for third-party developers to provide the kind of solution you're seeking. You should try looking in the Trunk: http://www.evernote.com/about/trunk/
Which would make a lot of us very happy.

Hey, if you're happy, then I'm happy.

The due dates would be nice when it finally gets implimented, and I can definatley see the calendar intergration being a 3rd party addon as it does not require any specific interface intergration.

I guess based on what I can see now as upcomming the one thing I would like to see, as a consideration is the ability to assign a note to a contributor of a shared notebook. So I could for example have a notebook called Tasks shared between me, bob, and jack. I create a note as a task and set a due date and all that good stuff, then I could assign it to say bob, who could then see its been assigned to him and know its his responsiblity to see the task though. True this could be acomplished though the use of a tag, but IMO a seperate interface option gies much more power to the process. Using tags for such is really more of a workaround in the meantime as I see it, much like workarounds for due date that exist for now.

One of the things I'm curious about is if EN will ever consider adding note "types". For instance, a note type for contacts, with the appropriate fields, or similar for tasks.

Now that's an interesting idea, I quite like it.

• Level 5*
It may not be the primary focus, but it would be highly complimentary. Evernote is an outstanding information manager. And traditionally information managers have also performed some type of task management capability. It's a very natural add-on/evolution, since we often need to act on information. The fact that they've already added a basic to-do attribute speaks to that. So I hope to see them add a few more task management features.

Oh, I don't disagree -- I am just going on what I've read from them over the past couple of years, and what they've chosen to focus on. The basic to-do is there, sure, but it's taken awhile to roll out over the different clients. Meanwhile, Due dates have been talked about for awhile, and actually exist in at least one client (though mainly unsupported), but haven't moved forward yet. Given the amount of push they're giving to 3rd-party development, my feeling is that's where non-trivial task management based on Evernote will come from.

Ryan, the best I can suggest right now is to use tags for action management. I'm sure some other users have more to contribute on the subject.

That's a good suggestion. Tags are powerful and flexible, and learning to use them well is essential for using Evernote well. I'd look for "GTD" threads, for one...

Archived