(Archived) Horrible performance, lag and crashes

gavalos

Idea

The lastest version of Evernote is horrible, it crashes constantly, lags terribly and has serious window-drawing issues. I can't even resize the f***ing window without this POS crashing on me. I was just about to purchase a Premium subscription, but I'm afraid I'll have to wait for an update. This is useless. I'm running the latest Snow Leopard and Evernote form the Mac App Store, version 3.0.0

Also, how the hell do I get rid of the annoying red circle on top of the New Note button?

31 replies to this idea

I have performance issues as well. The system is hanging a lot. I can imagine that it is unresponsive whenever it accesses the hard disc (slow on my Mac) to read notes, but it could be as well the swap file. However, the system is soo slow that I started to use the webinterface more and more.

One of the known pitfalls is that it starts searching before I hit enter. This slows down my computer especially when a PDF is the first result.

These issues existed in previous versions and the new version is not helping it at all. If at all, it is even more unresponsive.

I am having the same problem. Evernote crashes when I try and re-size the window or the thumbnail size. Locks up the whole machine and only way out is to force boot it. I have tried uninstalling and reinstalling and no change. Seems to work fine as long as I don't touch the window to re-size/organize things.

System specs:

Snow Leopard 10.6.8 Mid-2009 MacBook Pro 8 GB RAM, 2.66 i7 processor

Evernote 3.0.1

Let me know if I need to open a separate support ticket as well.

I've heard of one instance where upgrading to Lion solved the issue. But I don't want to say that the solution is to upgrade your OS. If you're having the exact same issue, you probably don't need to open a support ticket.

gavalos could you post your support ticket number? Just want to make sure to get everything in one place.

thanks!

I've heard of one instance where upgrading to Lion solved the issue. But I don't want to say that the solution is to upgrade your OS. If you're having the exact same issue, you probably don't need to open a support ticket.

gavalos could you post your support ticket number? Just want to make sure to get everything in one place.

thanks!

The ticket no. is 16051-10876

It seems the problem has gone away, I swtiched graphic cards back and forth and now the resizing issue is gone... very strange.

How did you switch graphics cards? Do you mean switching the hardware?

No, my 2008 MBP has two graphic cards, an integrated Nvidia 9400m and a dedicated 9600M GT. I have the option to select which one I want to use, and swtching to integrated graphics and back to dedicated eliminated the resizing issue. I'm still getting the screen drawing glitch on Thumbnal View, but at least I can now use the app.

thanks!

Hi dlu:

That is the main reason why I upgraded my OS to Lion, just because I've heard the same thing, but nothing changed.

My operating system is the latest version of Lion, 2009 late iMac.

I did file a support ticket, but what I got from the support team was: try to reinstall again and give them feedback.

This kind of advise does not help much. we just hope Evernote getting better and better, that's the purpose of this forum and that's why we're spending time here posting our feedback, we are fans of Evernote. Please help to solve this problem for us, thanks!

• Level 5*
I did file a support ticket, but what I got from the support team was: try to reinstall again and give them feedback.

This kind of advise does not help much.

Actually, you'd be surprised how often a re-install can solve a problem; that's why they try that first. Since it didn't work for you, you should follow their advice and give them more feedback.

we just hope Evernote getting better and better, that's the purpose of this forum and that's why we're spending time here posting our feedback, we are fans of Evernote. Please help to solve this problem for us, thanks!

The forum is fine for giving feedback, and you can sometimes get technical help from Evernote staff here, but technical support is really where such problems are better solved. It's what they are there for.

I'm getting all the same issues but on top of it — before it crashes and sometimes kills the entire machine, not just the app — my screen goes nuts with flickering... sometimes for 1-2 seconds, other times for 5-10 until it locks everything up. I can't do a screencast though since it ultimately ends up locking the whole os and the 5-second power button shut-down is the only option. no 3-button reboot, rarely a force quit is possible...

I was prompted to check out the support forums just a short while ago as it was the one time I was able to get out of evernote before it locked up on me.

using the latest evernote as it started yesterday after I dl'd the latest via the in-app software update for your server, not the app store. 10.6.8, and the rest of the relevant hardware can be viewed here: http://screencast.com/t/3owGOjyS2Y

should I file a separate support request as well or can we assume that these issues might be related and responded to when a potential fix is able to be advised?

I just wanted to mention I'm having the same issues these earlier posters have described. Latest version of Lion (10.7.2). Installed Evernote from App Store tonight. I have the latest Mac Mini with 2.5ghz i5, 4GB ram, and AMD Radeon HD 6630M 256 MB.

I cannot resize Evernote without causing it to become non-responsive and I have to kill it from a force quit.

Was the issue ever resolved?

Oddly, Evernote on my Mac (2011 i5 / 8gb / sl) is lagging and slow. I went there to escape the iPad's lag! I don't remember it being like this last month.

When you first install there will be some lag as we rebuild the database, but it shouldn't be laggy after that

I am experiencing the exact same problems. I'm on a 2011 early MBP 13" running Lion 10.7.2 and the app is unstable and freezes. When you try and resize the window it freezes and has all kinds of crazy lines across the screen. It then causes my machine to go into "fan overdrive" and I have to force quit the app. I've uninstalled, reinstalled and nothing works at all. It's pretty much useless. Frustrated! Any word on a fix for this?

Similar problem here. Running a MBP late 2011 with 10.7.2 installed. Evernote crashes every time i try to launch it. I'e uninstalled and re-installed countless times and nothing changes. I've deleted it completely with appzapper and other app uninstallers and nothing works. Basically, Evernote Desktop is completely useless on OSX Lion. Please fix this Evernote!

Hrm, I haven't heard of these cases since 3.0.2 and I thought we had fixed that. I'll try to track down the problem. Doesn't happen on my 2011 MBP or any MBAs that we've tested on.

I have the same or even worse situation here.....it crushes every time I tried to read notes......it's been over a month already since I upgraded evernote to the lateset version, and I did tried to uninstall and reinstall many times hoping my problems will be solved, I trusted Evernote and put all my most important files, papers, personal data into evernote, I'm really dispointed and it wasted a lot of my time!

Would you mind posting your hardware details as well?

thanks

I have the same or even worse situation here.....it crushes every time I tried to read notes......it's been over a month already since I upgraded evernote to the lateset version, and I did tried to uninstall and reinstall many times hoping my problems will be solved, I trusted Evernote and put all my most important files, papers, personal data into evernote, I'm really dispointed and it wasted a lot of my time!

Thanks for the info.

It seems like there are a few bugs that manifest themselves in different ways depending on your hardware/software setup, so this really helps. We'll try to cover as many setups as possible while testing & fixing.

Thanks for reporting this. We'll be looking into it. Could you share any details about your hardware?

Sure.

Late 2008 MacBook Pro, 8GB of RAM, using dedicated graphics (GeForce 9600GT) and Snow Leopard 10.6.8 (all latest updates applied). Tried with Evernote 3.0 form Mac App Store and 3.0.1. I'm also uploading the crash reporter logs.

The problem is fixable. I've been running Evernote for years and have never had the problems you describe, including on the recent upgrade.

Thank you. I hope tech support gives me a solution, I don't know what else to do.

• Level 5*

So you've clearly found a bug or 2, surely the best thing is to open a support ticket and just stop resizing the window or editing the toolbar until they get back to you.

Add 2 notes and the red circle goes away. It's pretty simple, if you have no notes then the circle comes back.

I've completely uninstalled it, deleted preferences and application support directories. Downloaded it again from Evernote.com instead of the App Store, so now I got v3.0.1. I have the exact same issues. The App crashes when I zoom the window or try to resize it. It even crashed if I want to customize the toolbar. The performance is also terrible, it lags constantly.

I have erased all my notes, so I have a clean library. I can't understand why this happens, it's the only app I have that does not work.

I made a quick video so I can share my frustration with you. What you'll see here is what happens everytime I try to use Evernote. I've reinstalled it 8 times, with identical results.

• Level 5*

Sounds like something strange has happened to your installation.

I'd recommend uninstalling the app and then reinstalling it. If you still have problems after that then open a support case.

I generally find that if I go into a new forum with a crappy attitude, I'm less likely to get help than if I am polite and respectful. I note that you apologised, but my initial reaction to seeing your post is to ignore the ill-mannered and foul mouthed little *****.

Let us know hour you get on with the reinstall and if you need any other help.

Also, how the hell do I get rid of the annoying red circle on top of the New Note button?

Add a note is supposed to be how that goes away...

Oh, excellent feature. The thing is, I added almost 10 notes and it keeps popping up!

BTW, sorry by my violent and curse-filled outburst, I just got so frustrated with this version. I mean, I can barely use it.

Archived