(Archived) Accessing notes without connectivity?

dalemccl

I have EN on my PC desktop and on my Android tablet (the tablet is wi-fi only - no 3G/4G). On an upcoming trip I would like to be able to access all my notes on the tablet. From what I can tell from trying this at home, it only works when I am connected to wi-fi. It appears that the tablet app goes to the EN website to retrieve notes. I will not usually be near wi-fi hot spots during my trip. Is there a way to get all my notes transferred to the tablet (including tags) so they can be accessed at any time using the EN Android app?

EDIT: I found something in the on-line help about this. It seems to be saying this can be done by premium users, which I am. I will read it and if I have any further questions, I will post them.

EDIT 2: OK, I read about Offline Notebooks and it looks easy to do. I will follow the instructions just before leaving for the trip. But downloading all the notes to the tablet will use up a lot of the available storage space on the tablet. When I return from the trip, how can I delete all the downloaded notes and go back to the way it was before the trip, where the Android app retrieves notes from the web?

• Level 5*

Don't bank on your notes being searchable after the download - I just had the same experience of wanting information to be available even where there was no internet connection. I'm also a premium user, and I transferred a copy of the relevant notebook to my Android handset (ie I followed the instructions to set it as an "offline" notebook) in expectation that I'd have full access to my notes and could add new information to be synced when I got back to civilisation.

When I got to my destination however I found that all searches returned an error - "no network connection" - although I could scroll through the notes in that that notebook quite happily. Not sure whether I did something wrong, or the Android client relies exclusively on a web connection for searches. If that's the case EN guys, then it's something that needs to change!

I also did some web clipping on the handset whilst away from my home network (but still close enough to civilisation to get the Net), and found that whenever I clip web pages I get a URL in a note rather than the actual page image. This might be OK for some/ most pages, but some of the information I was clipping was for receipts and travel acknowledgements where the page is generated at the time. Tried later the URL just goes nowhere.. so again, maybe I did something wrong, or this is a compromise within the Android client that needs to be upgraded. (Thinks: is there some way to save a JPG of the browser screen as a note? Hmmn - will dig into handset menus later...and I suppose I could just get an confirmation email sent to my Evernote address.)

However. Dear Evernote: two possible feature requests here - as soon as reasonably practical please?

PS I upgraded both my Android and the Evernote client to the latest versions in case I was seriously behind the times with either, but the same problem still exists. No web connection, no searching.

Can anyone address my original 2nd question regarding after I return from vacation and am done accessing my notes offline, how I can return the tablet back to the way it was before I downloaded all the notes to it? I don't want to permanently use up all that storage space on the tablet. Somehow I would want to delete the notes that I downloaded to the tablet before the trip, and have the tablet app go back to retrieving them from the website as needed.

• Level 5*

Thanks @xdelplanque for a quick and helpful response. Sorry if I hijacked the original query slightly. As to how to return the tablet to its original state, I'd *assume* that if you deselect that notebook as "offline" the local version will no longer be updated and should be deleted automatically. You may want to test this (if you have time) with a newly-created notebook with one or two notes - offline it and create another note, then deselect offline and see what happens. If a local copy of the notebook still exists, delete it and check whether your main notebook is affected. For complete belt and braces protection of vital data you may also want to backup your database to safe storage..

I also did some web clipping on the handset whilst away from my home network (but still close enough to civilisation to get the Net).

I didn't know you can do web clipping on android phones. How do you do it?

• Level 5*

Just go to

However (answering my own original query) I do see that under the "more" option -in Firefox at least- I also have the choice to "save as PDF" which downloads a PDF copy of the page which I can then ~send to Evernote (create note) to generate the snapshot I want of things like receipts and travel documents.

But still note: the links in that PDF file aren't live if that's important to you.. nothing's ever easy :)

Edit: But also see viewtopic.php?f=51&t=28214 you can select text and send it to a new note, or (apparently) paste into an existing one.. except this still doesn't seem to work for me in 'Droid Firefox - I can't seem to select any text on the pages I've tried so far..

• Level 5*

Wow - who snuck that in? Just tried a search on the 'Droidmobile and a screen popped up warning me that offline searches take up storage space. Magic! Thank you EN persons... my life isn't quite complete yet, but each little step helps - :D

Can anyone address my original 2nd question regarding after I return from vacation and am done accessing my notes offline, how I can return the tablet back to the way it was before I downloaded all the notes to it? I don't want to permanently use up all that storage space on the tablet. Somehow I would want to delete the notes that I downloaded to the tablet before the trip, and have the tablet app go back to retrieving them from the website as needed.

In order to remove the offline notebook data after you trip:

1. Set those notebooks to no longer be stored offline.

2. Clear cache from the Evernote settings screen, and wait a few moments as they are cleaned up in the background.

Archived