How do I COPY an IMAGE?

luckman212

• Level 5

I can't seem to just COPY an image from an existing EN note into the clipboard. Is that a bug? I'm on the latest Public version 4.5.1.5283.

Here's the menu I get when I right-click on an image:

SFiEU.png

When I select that "Copy" command, I hear the Windows "beep" error sound, and nothing is copied. :shock: Help?

• Level 5*

You need to select it first: move the cursor to the right of the image, and Ctl+Left Arrow back (or drag the cursor with the mouse over the image). Personally, I think that the Copy operation should work as you tried it, but it doesn't. May be a bug.

• Level 5*

Sorry, but I was able to copy an image as I suggested, and drop it into an Outlook email correctly. Ditto MS Word. According to ClipSpy (a nice tool that you might be interested in), Evernote puts it onto the clipboard as ENML format, and HTML format (which is what you're seeing). Any clipboard recipient that understands either one of those formats should work correctly.

The bug I was referring to was the fact that Evernote does not copy an image when you right-click on it and select Copy. The fact that when you select and copy the image, and it gets put on the clipboard as HTML may be a bug or an oversight. Probably worth getting an answer from Evernote on, I think.

• Level 5

Yeah, we don't copy the bitmap data to the clipboard at the moment, we only copy the HTML representation. Ideally, we would copy both to the clipboard and the receiving program would choose whichever representation was most appropriate. It's on our todo list, not sure when exactly it will happen. In the short term, you can double-click the image and copy it from there.

• 2 months later...
  • 7 months later...

I agree this seems like a strange feature to be missing.

Yeah, we don't copy the bitmap data to the clipboard at the moment, we only copy the HTML representation. Ideally, we would copy both to the clipboard and the receiving program would choose whichever representation was most appropriate. It's on our todo list, not sure when exactly it will happen. In the short term, you can double-click the image and copy it from there.

This doesn't always work. For example, if I copy a graph from excel, paste it into evernote, I cannot double-click to open as image in windows previewer.

There ought to be a solution to this by now. We're coming up on the 1-year "anniversary" for this (bug, glitch, anomaly, whatever-you-want-to-call-it). Any news?

As you well know, EN does not normally publish ETAs. Additionally...

It's on our todo list, not sure when exactly it will happen.

• Level 5

As you well know, EN does not normally publish ETAs.

Additionally...

So I guess just because one man is "not sure when" this will be fixed, I should let years go by without so much as a polite peep to inquire on status? Oh and "Additionally" — please do not post comments that neither answer any question nor provide any additional useful information just to hear the sound of your own fingers hitting the keyboard. Thank you.

• Level 5

I am using Evernote for Windows 4.5.7.7146 (258477) Public

The copy feature works OK for me. When I right click on an image, (example)

http://www.evernote....ed3d9bc471a20aa

it turns blue and allows me to copy it. Here is a screen capture of what is looks like when I right click on the image.

http://www.evernote....bff442d3e0030bf

I am using Evernote for Windows 4.5.7.7146 (258477) Public

The copy feature works OK for me. When I right click on an image, (example)

http://www.evernote....ed3d9bc471a20aa

it turns blue and allows me to copy it. Here is a screen capture of what is looks like when I right click on the image.

http://www.evernote....bff442d3e0030bf

After clicking on your first image I was thrilled to find out that it's a story announcing the next James Bond movie! After reading that I completely lost track of the initial problem.

Additionally...

So I guess just because one man is "not sure when" this will be fixed, I should let years go by without so much as a polite peep to inquire on status? Oh and "Additionally" — please do not post comments that neither answer any question nor provide any additional useful information just to hear the sound of your own fingers hitting the keyboard. Thank you.

Alas, I did provide an answer for you. And since this is a user's forum, I'm as entitled to (re)answer your questions, just like you're allowed to re-ask them. As fruitless as it is.

• Level 5

1. right click an image, choose Copy

2. open Paint (Start→Run→mspaint)

3. try to "Paste" that image.

Any luck?

No, I could not paste into Paint. I tried right click and saw no option to paste. The paste icon did not work either.

But I could paste it into my Word program. (screen capture below)

http://www.evernote....08eedd3ccb72488

• Level 5

edit: I see you just tried (un-successfully as I expected) to paste into Paint. You see, Word knows how to handle HTML content. That's why pasting into Word works, but a strict graphics program designed to deal with pixels (bitmaps) fails. Quite often I have an image in EN that I need to copy & paste out elsewhere or share, but might need to have a portion redacted for privacy. So in this case I usually wind up having to take a screenshot of the image (which seems quite silly) in order to get the CF_BITMAP resource that I need to be able to paste into Paint.NET, Photoshop, or whatever image editor I happen to be using at the time.

JB-

Are you *sure* it's working for you the way you think it is? When I right-click and "copy" an image out of EN, and then inspect the resulting data that has been placed on the clipboard (I'm using NirSoft's free InsideClipboard tool for that) I am still finding only "HTML" and "ENML".

gXsCt.png

I suggest you try this:

1. right click an image, choose Copy

2. open Paint (Start→Run→mspaint)

3. try to "Paste" that image.

Any luck?

Additionally...

Alas, I did provide an answer for you. And since this is a user's forum, I'm as entitled to (re)answer your questions, just like you're allowed to re-ask them. As fruitless as it is.

Anyone who has spent more than 2 minutes on this forum would realize that BurgersnFries works tirelessly to help out on this forum(over 7000 posts and counting). I don't think that she does this because she "enjoys the sound of her fingers hitting the keyboard." She was responding to your request of "any news?" by informing you of Evernote's policy regarding upcoming changes.

Open with.... seems to be the easiest workaround. You can also choose the default program... I use Photoshop so a quick double click of the image followed by CTRL-A CTRL-C does the job...

But yes its mad that right click copy doesnt work.

• 6 months later...
  • Level 5

img10.png

Yeah, we don't copy the bitmap data to the clipboard at the moment [...] It's on our todo list

So it's 1 and 1/2 years later ... we still can't copy an image directly out of EN? Is this still on the "to-do list" ? Who's to do list is it on? I might suggest removing whatever pile of other papers etc might be laying on top of it.

• 1 month later...

Is this basic oversight going to be resolved soon? Its such a pain to use Evernote if I can't copy images (the actual image file) out of it like every other program. Downloading the image to the desktop is not a solution... I would like to just copy all text and images that are inline into another program such as GMAIL or wordpad and have it look the same way. Instead, I get little boxes indicating the HTML can't find the image, or simply just a blank document. Its been over a year with no resolution. Maybe its time to go old skool and create a folder with wordpad documents in it, maybe even use Dropbox or even better, google drive/docs.   Come on Evernote.. you can do this!

Luckman212 ..... keep fighting the good fight! There are plenty out there who agree with your opinions. To not have a copy/paste feature for images is insane (and antiquated). But to not have a simple copy as image feature, after all this time, is unbelievable. Don't even get me started with the fact that there is only one sub-layer of Notebooks and you are Forced to use tabs for organization. I truly hope Evernote updates these things before someone else comes along and takes there customers away. Evernote, don't be complacent.

23981.jpg P.S. I just copy/pasted this image off the web , and then dragged and dropped ot onto my desktop and Photoshop. If you forum can do it ........ why can't your program?

• 2 months later...
  • 7 months later...

This is pretty irritating and seems like a farily basic piece of functionality, especially as the context menu even displays the Copy command when an image is right-clicked. I understand that there are workarounds, such as dragging-and-dropping into MS applications or on the desktop, but these are just that, workarounds. They are neither intuitive or, in the case of dropping onto the desktop, quick & tidy.

Please consider refining this in an upcoming release. As a data store Evernote is great but I find I am constantly hampered when it comes to reusing Evernote note content in other applications - largely because of copy-paste inconsistencies. As Evernote's formatting is largely similar to HTML I don't understand why features that work fine when copying from a browser cannot behave likewise in the Evernote client.

Hope this is read by someone within the company and is taken as genuine constructive customer feedback.

Thanks, S

• Level 5*

???

I just now copied, via right-click, an image in my Windows Evernote client, and pasted it into an MS Word document. But it doesn't work in MS Paint. Not sure why that is.

What does appear to happen is that, on Copy of an image, Evernote writes a copy of that item to disk in a temp location, and uses the places a CF_HDROP (http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/bb776902(v=vs.85).aspx#CF_HDROP) item on the clipboard that contains the path to that disk copy, as opposed to pacing a copy (i.e., the bitmap's bits) on the clipboard. Given a little more time, I'd research that to see what the conventions are around that format.

• 2 weeks later...

Ugh, always wondered why I couldn't copy and paste from Evernote like any other normal program and finally decided to do a quick Google that turned up this thread. This behaviour seems very counter-intuitive. Is there a scenario where the current methodology makes sense? If it's by design, it would be interesting to hear the rationale.

• Level 5*

Ugh, always wondered why I couldn't copy and paste from Evernote like any other normal program and finally decided to do a quick Google that turned up this thread. This behaviour seems very counter-intuitive. Is there a scenario where the current methodology makes sense? If it's by design, it would be interesting to hear the rationale.

It's certainly an operation that's supported by the OS; the only drawback is if other programs don't understand that convention. MS Word certainly does. MS Paint, not so much.

It's certainly an operation that's supported by the OS; the only drawback is if other programs don't understand that convention. MS Word certainly does. MS Paint, not so much.

Thank you for the response jefito. My understanding is that that people are having difficulty with copy and paste because EN isn't copying image data to the clipboard, it's copying a combination of HTML and ENML (Evernote Markup Language) to the clipboard. Is that correct? If so, my question is: Is there a scenario where the current functionality is actually an advantage?

I did a quick search and it seems that this thread isn't the only one where people are wondering why they can't copy and paste images from EN to another application. Given that there have been a number of people with the same question, I'm just wondering what the rationale is for not modifying EN to copy image data to the clipboard like most other applications.

Getting Images Out of Evernote

http://discussion.evernote.com/topic/26973-getting-images-out-of-evernote/

Image copy & paste does not work from existing note to email

http://discussion.evernote.com/topic/29201-image-copy-paste-does-not-work-from-existing-note-to-email/

Cannot copy/paste images from 4.6.3.8096 to other programs

http://discussion.evernote.com/topic/36118-cannot-copypaste-images-from-4638096-to-other-programs/

Can't copy an image and paste into another program

http://discussion.evernote.com/topic/14024-cant-copy-an-image-and-paste-into-another-program/

• 3 months later...

The issue is: When you cut and paste and image from Evernote you get the path to the file not the image itself.  So, if you paste it into Outlook, for example, it attaches the file rather than inserting it into the email.  I've fought with this issue for a while.  So, I decided to do something about it and create a little app to make this work how I want it to work.  It isn't perfect, but it speeds up my day. It still requires you to right click on the image then select "open with" and then click this application, but at least you don’t have to open up MS Paint, select all then copy and close the application…

Here is the code for those of you will access to a vb.net compiler.

-----------

Module Module1

Sub Main()

Dim imagePath As String

Dim arrayStrings(10) As String

Dim returnList As System.Collections.Specialized.StringCollection = Nothing

Dim image1 As System.Drawing.Bitmap

For Each argument As String In My.Application.CommandLineArgs

‘ Add code here to use the argument.

imagePath = argument

Next

Try

returnList = Clipboard.GetFileDropList()

image1 = CType(System.Drawing.Image.FromFile(imagePath, True), System.Drawing.Bitmap)

Clipboard.SetImage(image1)

Catch ex As Exception

End Try

End Sub

End Module

---------------------

You can find the compiled app on my blog.

Blog

Archived