(Archived) Support for Premium Users

Since getting nowhere with Evernote technical support on a two-week old issue, on August 15 I caved in and signed up as a Premium User and resubmitted the issue. According to Evernotes commitment, I should have received a response from them within 24 hours; 7:30 pm EST. I received nothing, not even an acknowledgement of the ticket. I submitted another issue on the 16th - this time the complaint was "failure to respond to Premium User within the advertised time frame". Again, no acknowledgement, no response. I checked with American Express - not only was my payment processed, EN billed me twice for the same subscription. I'll deal with that later, but in the meantime, have any other Premium users experienced this or am I wasting my money. Thanks.

• Level 5*

Did you receive the automated response? If so, please post the ticket number in here and we can try and help you.

If you didn't get the response then the ticket did not go through.

Thank you - no I did not. I've received an auto response for all of the issues that I submitted as a general, non-paid user but not one since subscribing. It is maddening because there is absolutely no way to contact Evernote other than continue to open issue after issue. My issue is that I cannot sync! This started over two weeks ago. At first the message was "sync failed on the server side", but now, I'm getting a red exclaimation point on my sync button. Of course, failed syncs are affecting my iPhone version as well.

I have screen prints of the Thank You for Submitting a Ticket Confirmation that you receive after submitting a ticket, so I know the issue went through, but no auto responding emails from Evernote acknowledging the issues as I have received in the past.

Try checking your spam folder, if you've already submitted a ticket and have screenshots. The minute we can get your ticket # we'll be good to go. (you can PM me with it too).

16051-7660. Evernote sent me an email claiming they had responded but are being filtered by my email (not true because this, and earlier auto responds have landed in spam folder. I find it interesting that they would email me and ask me to un-filter them, from the same address, to the same address; if they really thought they were being filtered, why would they think this particular note with instructions to unblock them would get through. Go figure. Issue on the note is now 16051-7660. Thank you.

Cmcq, in your latest response you listed a gmail account as your primary email address. The address we have on account is an AOL email address. All support messages are sent through to your account email at AOL.

What I said was "forward that response to my gmail account - as it, with the date stamp" so that I have a record of the email that you said you sent to my AOL account for which I am saying that I never received, inbox or SPAM. The AOL account is my Evernote account. The gmail account is another account unrelated to Evernote. Also - I just checked my AOL account, inbox and SPAM and there is still nothing from Evernote even though I have emailed you the Activity logs twice as requested - from the AOL account in question. May I please have an ETA on this issue?

Our email system does not allow us to forward entire emails, as it "pieces" them together on the way out (compiles the header, footer, etc).

However, we've sent you a compilation email to your gmail address with all of the information in your various case numbers that were filed.

These include:

Ticket #7191 Replied 8/17/2011 04:17:15 AM PDT

Ticket #5610 Replied 8/15/2011 05:15:32 PM PDT

Ticket #4404 Replied 8/15/2011 05:14:15 PM PDT

Ticket #6880 Replied 8/15/2011 05:02:03 PM PDT

Ticket #6393 Replied 8/15/2011 02:26:18 PM PDT

Ticket# 4997 Replied 8/08/2011 10:07:36 AM PDT

First, please note: Ticket #7660 does not appear on the list you posted. It is noted below.

Second, please note: none of your responses have been filtered out as spam - I have received them all - they just do not do anything except acknowledge receipt with the exception 0f #4404 which requests the activity log, which I sent - Evernote_4.5.0.5229_20110815.

Third: look at the issue# and comments you replied with and tell me - how do any of these responses address the problem that I submitted which is "Sync Failed"?

Fourth: I have "re-replied" to #4404 with the current Activity Log attached which is Evernote_4.5.0.5229_20110819

Fifth and Lastly: What am I missing here? Every single one of these issues is about "sync failed" and the only one that has been resolved is a billing issue. If you have "responded to my request", take a look at all of these issues and tell me WHICH one of your responses provides me with a solution for Sync Failed? I can understand delays in support for free users, but I have been a Premium user since August 15 and all we are doing for 5 business days is going back and forth on who sent what rather than resolving the issue. What has to be done to address and fix the problem that all of these tickets regard which is"Sync Failed". :D

Ticket #7660 Replied 8/18/2011 03:43 PM PDT **We took a look at your billing transaction history and only 1 payment of $5.00 dlls appears (no mention of "sync failed")

Ticket #7660 Replied 8/18/2011 01:22 PM PDT **Sorry for any confusion. We have responded to cases and requests. I am guessing they are getting filtered out by a spam filter. As you can see below, you have only responded with confirmations and a recommendation to upgrade

Ticket #7660 Replied 8/18/2011 12:30 PM PDT **This is an Automated Message to confirm that we have received your inquiry

Ticket #7191 Replied 8/17/2011 04:17:15 AM PDT

From Evernote 8/15/2011 7:28 PM **Thank you for upgrading to Evernote Premium

From Evernote 8/15/2011 7:28 PM Payment confirmation 3134508977730176056438

Ticket #5610 Replied 8/15/2011 05:15:32 PM PDT**I am sorry... If you would like faster service please upgrade your account

Ticket #4404 Replied 8/15/2011 05:14:15 PM PDT**THere is a copy of the request that was sent several days ago, but never replied to. Please reply to this case with the logs as requested and we will be happy to assist you in turn: This case was replied to with the activity log as requested The file attached was Evernote_4.5.0.5229_20110815

Ticket #6880 Replied 8/15/2011 05:02:03 PM PDT**This is a duplicate in the system and will be deleted. We will continue to assist you in turn on your original ticket

Ticket #6393 Replied 8/15/2011 02:26:18 PM PDT.***As a Free user,...as time permits

Ticket# 4997 Replied 8/08/2011 10:07:36 AM PDT **This is an Automated Message to confirm that we have received your inquiry.***Your comments are important to us.

The timestamps I provided below are the "last replied" timestamps below on the relevant cases to your syncing issues, tin the compendium email I sent to you yesterday to your gmail address, with all of our responses. If you notice, the timestamps you then provided are not the same, and are indeed earlier.

I believe that at some point, you or AOL have blacklisted our email address from being received.

As a last ditch effort, I have pasted all of our correspondence to you as a note in your account. If you're truly having syncing issues, you will need to log into your account on Evernote Web in order to see it. In the past, with people who have had such email blacklisting issues, this has worked to finally make them see and receive our messages.

I noticed when doing so that one of my techs had already done the same, with ticket# 7660, on 8/18.

If you are unsatisfied with our service, and feel that we have blackmailed you into upgrading, we will of course be happy to refund you and downgrade your account back to Free. We are doing everything in our power to resolve your situation.

1.)The timestamps I provided below are the "last replied" timestamps below on the relevant cases to your syncing issues, tin the compendium email I sent to you yesterday to your gmail address, with all of our responses. If you notice, the timestamps you then provided are not the same, and are indeed earlier.

MY RESPONSE: WHEN I LOOK AT THE TIME STAMPS IN THE "COMPENDIUM" EMAIL YOU SENT ME, AND THE LIST YOU POSTED, MY TIME STAMPS ARE IDENTICAL TO YOURS.

I believe that at some point, you or AOL have blacklisted our email address from being received.

MY REPONSE: YOU CAN'T BLACKLIST ANYONE ON AOL - YOU CAN ONLY MARK IT AS SPAM AND I DID NOT. I RECEIVED ALL YOUR EMAILS-EVN THE ONES IN THE SPAM FOLDER

As a last ditch effort, I have pasted all of our correspondence to you as a note in your account. If you're truly having syncing issues, you will need to log into your account on Evernote Web in order to see it. In the past, with people who have had such email blacklisting issues, this has worked to finally make them see and receive our messages.

MY RESPONSE: YES - I AM "TRULY" HAVING SYNCING ISSUES - I'M NOT TRYING TO WORK WITH YOU FOR FUN.

I noticed when doing so that one of my techs had already done the same, with ticket# 7660, on 8/18.

MY RESPONSE: THE RESPONSES YOU POSTED IN MY EVERNOTE ACCOUNT, INCLUDING ISSUE, DATE AND TIME, DO NOT MATCH THE RESPONSES THAT YOU SENT ME FOR THE EXACT ISSUE, DATE AND TIME. NONE OF THE INSTRUCTIONS INCLUDED IN THE NOTE TO MY EVERNOTE ACCOUNT WERE INCLUDED IN THE RESPONSES YOU "EMAILED" ME. I WILL TRY THE ACTIONS THAT YOU SUGGESTED IN YOUR COMPILATION OF NOTES STARTING WITH 8/15 HOWEVER, YOUR LAST RESPONSE IN THE COMPILATION (AUGUST 17), 7191 REQUESTS MY ACTIVITY LOG - WHAT DID YOU DO WITH THAT?

FYI - I HAVE ALREADY UNINSTALLED AND REINSTALLED EVERNOTE FROM YOUR WEBSITE - THAT DID NOT WORK. ALSO - CREATING A NEW DATABASE FROM THE WEB DATA BASE WILL RESULT IN MY LOSING MORE THAN HALF OF MY NOTES.

• Level 5*

I'm not sure which client you are on (if it's Windows or OS X), but there is no reason for you to lose any notes.

First step is to export all of your notes from your desktop client - depending on your client there are plenty of instructions on here (or probably in the email that support sent you).

Then follow the instructions from support for deleting the app and your database.

Then reinstall the app and allow the notes that are sync'd to download from the web service.

Then (and I'm sure this is in the email that support sent you), import your backup. This will create a notebook called import or something like that.

This may be a little bit of a pain in the ass now, but you'll need to drag the notes that hadn't previously sync'd into their correct notebooks.

Then you can delete the rest and the imported notebook.

Remember, support aren't trying to deliberately wind you up - they are trying to help you, as am I. Bringing a crappy attitude in here doesn't exactly inspire anyone.... no matter how frustrated you are.

Edit: If you are on Windows, here are the instructions (if you are on OS X let me know and I'll find the ones that I have been sent).

If you do not have any important Local Only or unsynchronized notes*, please try moving your Evernote database so that Evernote will regenerate a new local database by copying your notes back down from the service. To do this:

1. In Evernote, go to Tools > Sign Out

2. Hit the "Cancel" button on the login screen

3. Go to Tools > Options

4. Click on the "Open Database files folder" button

5. Move the file with your username (ending in "exb") to a different location. For example, move it to your computer's desktop.

6. Go to Tools > Sign In

7. Enter your username and password< /li>

8. Wait for your account data to synchronize to your machine from the service.

Let us know if this fixes the problem.

*If you do have any Local Only notebooks, right-click the notebook name in the left-hand notebook pane and select "Export", then export the notebook to .enex format, exporting tags if desired. If you have some unsynchronized notes, you can go to the Note List view, sort by the "Sync" column, and export any notes that have a * in that column to .enex format before following the above instructions. Once those instructions are finished, you can then import the .enex files you created to restore these exported notes.

Please understand, that when you open multiple cases, they are not merged together (they are linked under your username/email address, via a separate search tool). We have a large department of technicians all working "individually" together to try to process our customer requests.

Each time a customer files a new request, that is a brand new ticket available in our queue, and is worked on from scratch.

So, if someone asked you for your sync log in one ticket on the 17th, but you've already been given instructions to fix your issue in a different ticket, it's likely because you filed a brand new ticket about the same thing and a new tech is starting all over again from scratch. Even when we've just responded to them 5 minutes ago.

Which is, 100%, exactly what is happening here.

And there is indeed an AOL Blacklist. If enough people hit "Spam" on emails you send, you end up on it.

The process for removal is here :

http://postmaster.info.aol.com/Postmaster.Whitelist.php

Thank you both for your input and I apologize if my frustration is coming off as having a crappy attitude. Things are not always as they appear (you will see at the end of this note). Before that, I'd like to take a moment to clarify a few things: I have been using Evernote for a long, long time and have never, ever had a problem. I've always been amazed at how fast the sync is between desktop/web/iPhone. No complaints there and I have never needed support or more capacity so there has never been a need to upgrade to Premium. This sync problem came out of nowhere - originally returning an error message saying that the sync failed due to an issue on the server side. My first reaction to that was "oh my - wow."

Regarding the multiple issues, I agree with you, however, Evernote's ticket system does not provide you with any way to follow up on an issue. After going for so long without resolution, I had no choice but to "open an issue to check on the issue". I don't see any way around this with their current system. Also, you will see then see that there are two issues after I paid for my subscription:

- One ticket for the same sync issue opened as a new ticket and as a paid subscriber (with my old ticket no. now is the unpaid support que)

- The second ticket was opened (to customer service) reporting that I had not received a response within the committed time frame.

The curious thing is this - what I am getting is not what Evernote is sending and this became evident to me when I looked at the compilation that they dropped into my Evernote unfiled note folder. For instance, responses to Ticket #7660,Ticket #7191 (opened as premium) that arrived in my email were confirmations only - no instructions. The "duplicate" responses EN dropped in my EN account for these tickets (same date and time) contained the instructions. In other words, Evernote thinks they are sending me instructions for the fix, but I am only getting the system generated confirmations with the same date/time stamp as the responses with their instructions. Again - the drop in EN contained instructions, the emails to me contained only system generated responses and one stating that they are helping but getting filtered. They are not but some do end up in Spam since they come from 3 different userIDs, Evernote Corporation, Evernote Support and Evernote and not all variations were in my address book.

Lastly - since I have been continuing to work in my database, sans sync, the majority of my notes are not synced to the web and they are critical - that is why EN's solution to recreate the database "down" from the web would not work for me. Also, their instructions did not include directions for exporting and reimporting synced notebooks, only directions for exporting and importing Local Only notebooks - so thank you very much for taking the time to detail that out for me.

Hopefully - you'll reconsider the crappy attitude tag now that you understand that with all the missing pieces, how their responses seemed so random and "from out in left field to me hence, the frustration.

Yes - it worked. I have a lot of duplicates to resolve since I had to export unsynced notebooks and unsynced notes. But, everything is there and syncing just fine.

I compared your instructions - word for word - with Evernotes. They are identical yet, your tag line says you do not work for Evernote. If so then how did you get these instructions? Have you experienced this problem before?

Thank you for your help. Once again, for the record: none of the emails that Evernote sent to my personal email contained instructions for a fix. The compilations of the emails that Evernote deposited to my Evernote email ID did contain instructions which does not make sense since the date/time stamps on the ones with instructions (in Evernote) and the ones without instructions (in my personal email) are identical.

Thanks again.

LOL - I'm drooling over my daugher's MAC so hopefully I'll be saying the same in a few months.

One question though - your instructions said to go to Tools and signout, then return to Tools and go to Options to open the data base.

On a windows machine, once you sign out, you don't have access to the menu options. I had to go directly to the database folder and move the data base.

Now - the last problem that I have to solve is Web Clipper and chosing between Evernote and One Note. EN seems like the no brainer, especially with the best syc and clipping features. But - I'm hung up on the ability to have notebooks with sections/folders/pages and haven't quite figured out how to emmulate that in Evernote.

Regardless - I am back in business. Thanks again for your help.

LOL - I'm drooling over my daugher's MAC so hopefully I'll be saying the same in a few months.

One question though - your instructions said to go to Tools and signout, then return to Tools and go to Options to open the data base.

On a windows machine, once you sign out, you don't have access to the menu options.

It's actually "Evernote->Options" once you sign out.

• Level 5*

If you've quit out of the Evernote UI by clicking on the 'X' (rather than File / Quit or Ctrl+Q), the Evernote icon should remain resident in the tool tray. Right-clicking on that should bring up a menu with Options as a choice.

File / Quit removes Evernote completely from memory, including support for its desktop clipper.

Archived