(Archived) Feature Request - Templates

I would like to be able to create and customize templates, accessible under the new note tab ("New Note">"From Template">"mytemplate". Rather than new webcam note, if I could select "New Meeting" and access my template I use for meeting notes, it would be much easier than copying and duplicating, etc. The templates could have settings so that the new note is pre-tagged.

My main reason for this is because of how I use evernote for GTD, being able to create a new note that has the right layout and tags would maximize the efficiency of that system.

• Level 5*

Are you talking about a specific client? If so, you might be better served by posting in the specific forum for that client.

I don't see a "New Note" tab in the Windows client, which is what I mainly use, but I can use any note as a template, by right-clicking on is, and selecting "Copy Note...".

Not really specific client (I use windows and android), just a feature.

New Note Menu:

http://goo.gl/80EGH

Under that menu, being able to customize that menu. For example new "Next Action" would come up with a new note pre-tagged and having the right layout and formats, etc. duplicating note's is ok, but Personally being able to modify the New Note menu would work better. Keyboard shortcuts, universal location, etc.

• Level 5*

Ah, I see the New Note menu; no wonder I missed it: I always use "Ctrl+N" to make new notes, or the right-click / "Copy Note" method to make a note from a template. I can see that the method that you propose would probably be useful, but then you'd need a way to prompt for a note to use as the template; there is no way currently to designate notes as template notes, since you can use any note as a template. As a point of reference, Copy Note does allow you to maintain tags and created/updated dates.

• Level 5*
I can see that the method that you propose would probably be useful, but then you'd need a way to prompt for a note to use as the template; there is no way currently to designate notes as template notes, since you can use any note as a template.

This could be easily remedied by either applying a special tag to template notes, or by putting all template notes in a specified notebook (which is what I do now). All Evernote would have to do is build the template list from the specified tag or notebook.

• Level 5*

Ugh; no magic tags, please, *unless* the proposed template recognition is based on tags that the user designates. I consider the tag namespace to be the province of the user, not Evernote. If Evernote sets up functionality based on tags whereby I can configure the tags being used to actuate it, well, OK then...

• Level 5*
Ugh; no magic tags, please, *unless* the proposed template recognition is based on tags that the user designates..

"Ugh" -- now there's a powerful word. :D

So you do like user options/preferences when it suits your needs huh?

How 'bout that! :D

I didn't really state how Evernote would implement it. Just pointing out that there are some straightforward options to designating which notes are to be used as templates. I'm sure there's other options as well. NBD.

• Level 5*
Ugh; no magic tags, please, *unless* the proposed template recognition is based on tags that the user designates..

"Ugh" -- now there's a powerful word. :D

It's expressive of distaste, yes. I seem to recall that you have a dislike of long words, so I thought that I'd spare you.

So you do like user options/preferences when it suits your needs huh?

How 'bout that! :D

Please read to comprehend. I never said any such thing that as you've implied, ever, in any post I have ever written in these forums.

I didn't really state how Evernote would implement it.

Nor did I, I just stated that if they did implement it, I would prefer that they not use predefined tag names to do it.

• Level 5*

Well, I don't really care to engage in a legalistic debate with jefito, so I'll just ignore his last round and move on.

What is important is that the OP has suggested a really good idea -- taking copy note to the next level of templates.

It seems all the parts are there, and some reasonable approaches are available for designating specific notes as "templates".

All we need is a little bit of UI and we have a great new feature.

Evernote, the ball is in your court!

Archived