(Archived) Missing pages

sgiandhu

Idea

Hi there,

Love Evernote - even when it isn't working for me, which latterly seems to be rather frequently. (I am using the latest version.) Here is the issue:

When I create a note, I can't select it, or indeed any other notes that I have made. Sometimes, they are visible in the list, sometimes they are not. The only way I can get the new notes to come up is if I quit and relaunch.

I recently created a snapshot, which worked just fine - and only appeared after I quit and relaunched. In addition, switching between notebooks is inconsistent. When I select a notebook, I do not always get its contents, and have to click around for a couple of minutes to get what I want. :)

Below are the last few references to activities in Evernote, as they appear in the Console. Any ideas what could be wrong?

2008.07.01 14:04:15 Evernote[2397] *** -[NSCFBoolean caseInsensitiveCompare:]: unrecognized selector sent to instance 0xa08ff400
2008.07.01 14:04:22 Evernote[2397] *** -[NSCFBoolean caseInsensitiveCompare:]: unrecognized selector sent to instance 0xa08ff400
2008.07.01 14:04:22 Evernote[2397] *** -[NSCFBoolean caseInsensitiveCompare:]: unrecognized selector sent to instance 0xa08ff400
2008.07.01 14:04:30 Evernote[2397] *** -[NSCFBoolean caseInsensitiveCompare:]: unrecognized selector sent to instance 0xa08ff400
2008.07.01 14:04:30 Evernote[2397] *** -[NSCFBoolean caseInsensitiveCompare:]: unrecognized selector sent to instance 0xa08ff400
2008.07.01 14:05:59 Evernote[2397] *** -[NSCFBoolean caseInsensitiveCompare:]: unrecognized selector sent to instance 0xa08ff400
2008.07.01 14:05:59 Evernote[2397] *** -[NSCFBoolean caseInsensitiveCompare:]: unrecognized selector sent to instance 0xa08ff400

Cheers,

Joss :?

12 replies to this idea

OK, I think I have this fixed.

I went to my data file and found 2 folders in there, with different numbers. I moved them both to the desktop. Restarted Evernote, and sync'd with the server.

The new folder from the server contained only one numbered folder, which had the same number as one of the ones moved to the desktop.

I've now swapped the newer numbered file for the old one and all seems to be well. :)

Will post back if this changes.

Cheers,

Joss

The older (lower-numbered) folder is an old version of your database, which we preserved during a database conversion during one of our updates. It's safe to delete now.

Update:

All the pages are showing again, but, I am still having difficulty moving between notebooks. For example, I want to look at some notes I have about my car, which is fine. If I then click on another notebook, all I get is the contents of the previous notebook. It's almost as if the program stalls. After some clicking around, I can get to the notebook that I want.

Last time I used Evernote, the program crashed, and I got the crash report, which I filled in, on clicking send, I got the spinning beach ball.

Any ideas?

Joss

When you said that you "swapped the newer numbered file for the old one", do you mean that you put the old database directory back into your Library? Is there any reason you didn't just use the newer database directory that was created by the service? If your old local database was corrupt in any way, then the recreated one would be better.

If you could run the "Console" application and pull out any userful output there, that would be helpful.

Yes, i did put the old database back in the library, so I guess that might be the problem. I had a couple of notebooks that do not sync, and was trying to recover them, but I guess I'll just have to recreate them somehow, if I only use the synced ones from the server.

Thanks.

Until we finish implementing our cross-platform note export/import format, the best way to get notes out of a corrupt local account that cannot sync would be to export the notes (right-click on them in the list view) to HTML, and then switch to the new database, restart Evernote, and then import by opening the HTML docs in Firefox, select the note content, and clip with the Firefox clipper.

We realize this is roundabout ... that's the main reason we are working on a superior replacement.

Thanks

Thanks for the update. However, the program is crashing all the time now, even if I'm starting with a brand new blank database. When adding a new note, I can't even tab between the title, and the body without the program crashing.

Here is the latest from the console:

2008.07.02 20:43:52 Evernote[8185] *** -[NSPlaceholderString initWithString:]: nil argument
2008.07.02 20:43:53 Evernote[8185] detailedErrors=(null)
2008.07.02 20:43:53 Evernote[8185] Presenting error: Error Domain=NSCocoaErrorDomain Code=134030 UserInfo=0x15f7e290 "(null)"
2008.07.02 20:43:53 Evernote[8185] user info: {
NSAffectedStoresErrorKey = (

);
NSFilePath = "/Users/jossr/Library/Application Support/Evernote/data/29848/Evernote.sql";
NSUnderlyingError = Error Domain=NSCocoaErrorDomain Code=4 UserInfo=0x15f84e10 "(null)";
}
2008.07.02 20:43:53 Evernote[8185] *** -[NSPlaceholderString initWithString:]: nil argument
2008.07.02 20:43:53 CrashReporter[8186] Evernote terminated unexpectedly - preparing report
2008.07.02 20:43:54 Desktopple Pro[219] Ignoring
2008.07.02 20:43:54 Desktopple Pro[219] Ignoring
2008.07.02 20:43:53 [0x0-0x34d34d].com.evernote.Evernote 2008-07-02 20:43:53.958 CrashReporter[8186] Evernote terminated unexpectedly - preparing report
2008.07.02 20:46:01 com.apple.launchd[169] (0x114040.Locum[8220]) Exited: Terminated

J

Hi sgiandhu. Looking over the console log output you've supplied it looks like the app is having trouble accessing the local database. A couple questions:

1) Could you verify that you have read/write permission to the directory "/Users/jossr/Library/Application Support"?

2) If you do have read/write permission to that directory, does the file "/Users/jossr/Library/Application Support/Evernote/data/29848/Evernote.sql" exist?

3) Do you know if your account has FileVault protection turned on?

Thanks.

Hi there,

To answer your questions

1) Could you verify that you have read/write permission to the directory "/Users/jossr/Library/Application Support"?

Yes, I have that permission

2) If you do have read/write permission to that directory, does the file "/Users/jossr/Library/Application Support/Evernote/data/29848/Evernote.sql" exist?

Yes, it exists.

3) Do you know if your account has FileVault protection turned on?

I don't use FileVault

Quick update to my last post.

I uninstalled the program, including plists etc and reinstalled. Sync'd for the information on the server and everything seems to be fine at the moment. None of the problems I was having before have come up. Adding a non-sync notebook now to see if that causes me a problem.

will post back with update.

Thanks for the help.

Joss :D

Hey just a heads up, this happened to me too.

Other symptoms included when I clicked "New Note" nothing would happen. Basically, clicking through any notebooks, performing any searches, or clicking on any tags, nothing would display on the right hand side -- no pages and no notes.

I ended up using AppDelete to remove Evernote from my system, and then I reinstalled it. Once I logged in and Synced, it worked fine again.

Thanks

I had something similar happen. After restarting the Mac and relaunching Evernote several times, it seemed to rebuild itself. I did however delete everything with AppDelete and reinstall and resync for good measure.

Archived