(Archived) Feature request: Image rotation and image resolution reduced

Dear Evernote,

I love you because you're amazing and beautiful, and I am addicted to you.

Simple feature request:

I read a lot and snap images of what I would like to be saved in EN with my iPhone. I don't use EN app for that: ONLY because it stores notes with such high resolution and there is no setting to downgrade it. Instead, I email them from the Camera Roll, choosing Med quality.

I often get so absorbed in reading that I forget to turn my phone sideways to snap the image, and so it goes into the note rotated 90 degrees.

As I process my notes in a desktop client - there is no way to rotate the image within a note. awww.

Please add functionality to rotate the image within a note.

It does however, OCR the vertical text no problem - I LOVE it!

Subsequently, it would be superb if the iOS app had an option to store a lower res image, so pictures of text could be uploaded with less bandwidth use.

Thank you,

eucrow.

• Level 5*

Yes, this has been requested before (and was implemented in earlier versions of Evernote). The desktop clients, at least, allow you to invoke an external editor to do the rotation and resizng (and annotation, etc.). Can't speak for the mobile clients. Please search the forums for prior discussion.

Please add functionality to rotate the image within a note.
+1!
Yes, this has been requested before (and was implemented in earlier versions of Evernote).

Then consider this another ask :D

The desktop clients, at least, allow you to invoke an external editor to do the rotation and resizng

Yeah, about that - so I right-click, "open with", rotate, close - then what? It's still all sideways in Evernote.

It does however, OCR the vertical text no problem - I LOVE it!

I was about to write another post about OCR - so, I just found that I can SEARCH on a note, and providing it's not sideways (see above!) it finds the word. But, of course, the idea of OCR is that I'm ending up with the text of a newspaper or magazine article, not an image of the article. And that's where the help gets too vague for me to work out where the text version of my note is. I've looked, I promise I have, and I know it's going to be something so obvious... but I just don't see it.

Thanks! PS - LOVING Evernote - once the rotation and OCR is sorted, I'll be a complete convert!

• Level 5*
Yeah, about that - so I right-click, "open with", rotate, close - then what? It's still all sideways in Evernote.

In the Windows client, this worked fine. Double-clicking on the image brought it up on the Windows Photo Viewer; click on the Rotate button, and exit. Comes back in the note rotated correctly. Not sure how it's supposed to work on the iOS client, though.

In the Windows client, this worked fine. Double-clicking on the image brought it up on the Windows Photo Viewer; click on the Rotate button, and exit. Comes back in the note rotated correctly. Not sure how it's supposed to work on the iOS client, though.

Ah, I figured it out - Picasa photo viewer (my default) rotates a COPY of the image - doing it in Irfanview works fine. Thanks!

(Now what would REALLY be good is having the option on the web/mobile clients :)

• Level 5*
Ah, I figured it out - Picasa photo viewer (my default) rotates a COPY of the image - doing it in Irfanview works fine. Thanks!

That's good news; glad to hear it.

(Now what would REALLY be good is having the option on the web/mobile clients :)

Can't help you there, unfortunately.

@eucrow You're welcome. Do tell us how you get on with it.

Martin

Martin, this works great.

It's a simple app, costs $1.99. It's a little too simple, as it makes you assign tags, notebooks, title only BEFORE you snap a pic, but it's okay - just something you should keep in mind. I have an "inbox" notebook as default, where I shoot notes from everything - emails, work, reading, trying to remember anything, etc - then I sit down to sort out the things and move into proper notebooks and tag things, etc.

A picture once stuck in the FastEver Snap app, and i was waiting and waiting for it to upload, but the counter stayed at 1. I knew what the picture was of, plus copies of all images are optionally stored in the phone, so I had to uninstall/install the app (no charge). I asked the developer (Rakko Entertainment), and they kindly apologized and told me that uninstall/install is the only way to go about something like this, and that it should happen really rarely.

Being an obsessive note taker, this is a non-issue to me.

The app is fast to start too, but not always fast enough - was watching rugby and missed taking a snapshot of upcoming schedule :)

Cheers

eucrow

• 2 weeks later...
The sister app (FastEver) works great for uploading text notes quickly to the EN cloud. I still use it occasionally on my iPhone 4G. But it was essential on my iPhone 3G.

And I just purchased it due to problems and limitations with the new iOS 4.1 editor. FastEver's support of timestamp and checkbox in a quick note sealed the deal.

• 3 months later...
jefito wrote:

Yes, this has been requested before (and was implemented in earlier versions of Evernote).

Then consider this another ask

Consider this another other ask.

jefito wrote:

Then consider this another ask

Consider this another other ask.

And another.

Archived