(Archived) Lion & Safari web clipping fail

VuvuZ

Idea

Ok, this is very annoying. It appears that there is no longer a button in the toolbar for evernote and we have to use a bookmarklet ???? Very annoying as I have to lon in each time and seeing as ALL my password are generated by a supercomputer it's very annoying to have to type in &^$&%&%&^*&GHGJFHGFHFHF&RYRYY#$# every time I launch my browser (Admins, this is not really my password)

So, help me get my back button or show me a way to easily get stuff from Safari to Evernote. (On a side note I do like the way the I can specify the notebook that the clipped page will go in and give it a tag, the button methods is so clunky and takes forever to do it's thing AND it take me away from the browser. Guy why not make is a service - take a look at Circus Ponies Notebook - makes it a lot easier to clip from the web) Not sure what the little Elephant does in the OSX menubar, I need to clip an entire webpage not just an area or the screen.

45 replies to this idea

This is a known issue and definitely a priority. We'll be announcing a Safari extension to replace the clipper shortly.

thanks

When? You keep saying "shortly." When will this be ready? Days? Weeks? Months? For me, Evernote isn't that valuable without this old capability, and I'm wondering whether I need my premium subscription. I'd really like and answer on how long the wait will be.

We have a promising beta that we will make available as soon as I deem it stable enough. We're talking days not weeks.

Once again sorry for the inconvenience.

Terrific. I am glad to hear Evernote will be releasing a functional web clipper for Lion users of Safari within the week, BY FRIDAY AUGUST 26th. Thanks!

Some of us use EN profitably. For the minor cost, it is an absolutely marvelous tool.

Others ***** and moan. They quibble. They whine that it doesn't have this or that feature, and promise that if it's added they would consider paying the tiny fee to become a premium user. I doubt they ever will.

Every forum has them -- it's part of the computer world, not the real world.

Ignore them.

This is a known issue and definitely a priority. We'll be announcing a Safari extension to replace the clipper shortly.

thanks

When? You keep saying "shortly." When will this be ready? Days? Weeks? Months? For me, Evernote isn't that valuable without this old capability, and I'm wondering whether I need my premium subscription. I'd really like and answer on how long the wait will be.

• Level 5*

A beta was released briefly yesterday but an issue manifested itself immediately and so they withdrew it. I'm sure another version will be out pretty quickly.

In the meantime, as far as I'm aware Evernote have never refused a refund if you are unhappy.

thanks

We have a promising beta that we will make available as soon as I deem it stable enough. We're talking days not weeks.

Once again sorry for the inconvenience.

• Level 5*
unless you consider, "You can stop complaining now; you've been apologized to, and assured that they're going to fix it. Or isn't that enough?" to be appropriate management response.

Just an FYI -- I am not an Evernote employee -- much less a member of their management -- just an unpaid volunteer. I'm sorry that you were offended by my post, but frankly, after seeing a third complaining comment from you, after being apologized to by dlu, an actual Evernote employee, well, I felt that that was over the top. For the record, though, I do feel that you have a legitimate beef, and I understand your frustration, and sincerely hope that it's remedied soon, so that you can get back to filling your Evernote full of your stuff. And so to try to make amends, I do apologize to you for my remark -- I could have been more temperate in what I said. Good luck.

Terrific. I am glad to hear Evernote will be releasing a functional web clipper for Lion users of Safari within the week, BY FRIDAY AUGUST 26th. Thanks!

That's not obnoxious at all.

• Level 5*

That's not obnoxious at all.

I don't know, I thought it was just the wrong side of very...

Also keyboard shortcuts aren't working globally anymore. Which is huge minus.

I am paying customer and I am quite certain that there are many people out there who migrated to Lion as well.

Full Screen support and working global keyboard shortcuts, apart from Clipper are certainly urgent steps to take, as more people migrate to Lion

I have been having issues with Evernote since before I upgraded to Lion. I use Safari (latest update) and when I click on "Click rectangle or window to Evernote..." the crosshairs start and keep jamming within a nanosecond. This was happening before Lion. Very frustrating.

I finally figured out tonight that I can Command+Shift+4 and then select the area to capture. I then dump that screen capture into a new Evernote and it works like a charm. :)

Hopefully, everything will get fixed and back to normal soon, but for now at least I can use it. :)

Love Evernote!

I don't mean to be pushy or anything, but WHEN do you anticipate FIXING this GIGANTIC GLICH? Mac users who have upgraded their Safari browser and OSX, and who have become dependent on Evernote as an organizational tool, are basically EFFED now! Is this what's going to happen every time we upgrade? We'll lose a huge piece of functionality in Evernote because we upgraded? Because if that's the case, I will definitely migrate to a more reliable organizational tool. This is nothing short of a HUGELY INCONVENIENT business interruption! You market the app, get us hooked, and then leave us hanging. Sorry for complaining, but that's the truth.

I don't mean to be pushy or anything, but WHEN do you anticipate FIXING this GIGANTIC GLICH? Mac users who have upgraded their Safari browser and OSX, and who have become dependent on Evernote as an organizational tool, are basically EFFED now! Is this what's going to happen every time we upgrade? We'll lose a huge piece of functionality in Evernote because we upgraded? Because if that's the case, I will definitely migrate to a more reliable organizational tool. This is nothing short of a HUGELY INCONVENIENT business interruption! You market the app, get us hooked, and then leave us hanging. Sorry for complaining, but that's the truth.

Yes, we're quite sorry about this. We certainly don't plan on these types of things. We're going to release something soon to address this

I found a workaround that I like just as well as the Clipper - perhaps even better.

In Safari, to clip a page, type Command-I. This creates a mail message ready to send to Evernote.

I only have to type one letter in the address field for Mail to fill in my "mail to Evernote" address.

(Note: The Mail app has to be running)

I can add #tags or @notebooks in the subject line.

To send just a link to the page, instead of the page, type Command-Shift-I instead.

Just to let devs know, that there's a lot of people struggling for this feature.

Web clipping is one of my top use-cases, and I'm very sad you don't have it at the moment — that bookmark thing is sooooooo sloooooow and breaks pages formatting.

@4sky: thanks for the idea!

Personally, the web clipper has never worked well for me as it rendered clips so badly they were not usable.

I have been clipping to Evernote either with Skitch or by clicking the Evernote elephant in the menubar. Both Skitch and the elephant are working well in Lion.

Lew

"If the Safari version approaches its usefulness all these complaints will fade into red faces for the senders."

Red-faced...we have every reason to be upset. Vocalizing our frustration with these new Evernote problems should be met with answers and explanations, not snide little comments. I check this forum almost every other day to see if there is progress, or a general public posting about progress for Safari/M users from the Evernote development team, and there are only new complaints posted, no management response...unless you consider, "You can stop complaining now; you've been apologized to, and assured that they're going to fix it. Or isn't that enough?" to be appropriate management response.

• Level 5*
Plus, you used to be able to clip a picture and the URL address would automatically be inserted. Now you have to manually enter it???!!! Or cut and paste it??!! HOW LAME IS THIS!

You can stop complaining now; you've been apologized to, and assured that they're going to fix it. Or isn't that enough?

I use evernote and 1password everyday. They had their plug-in ready to go day one of lion. Just saying...

Get on it! (this is me being nice). I work for the most valuable company in the country now and recommend your product all the time so get on it!

FWIW, the 1Password plug-in didn't work worth a darn and they still are struggling to get it in full operation.

True...but at least we have evidence 1Password is working on the problem. Sadly, we have no such indications from Evernote.

FWIW, the 1Password plug-in didn't work worth a darn and they still are struggling to get it in full operation.

True...but at least we have evidence 1Password is working on the problem. Sadly, we have no such indications from Evernote.

Does me saying that we're working on it not count?

I use evernote and 1password everyday. They had their plug-in ready to go day one of lion. Just saying...

I use 1P everyday and it's been great. Hope to see the EN plug-in soon.

Archived