(Archived) Evernote for MacOS 3.0.0 Beta 2

dlu

Idea

Howdy People of Evernote Mac,

Mac 3.0 Beta 2 is here! Along with some bug fixes, we are happy to announce fullscreen mode. Fullscreen mode lets you interact with your Evernote content in a different way and with fewer distractions. We have still have known issues, but we wanted to give you a glimpse at this. Please try it out and let us know what you think.

Below are some known issues:

- Note updated in fullscreen mode don't have changes reflected in fullscreen layout

- Fullscreen mode is broken when switching from Shared to Account tab. Exiting and re-entering fullscreen mode fixes this.

- Favorites Bar buttons sometimes overlap. Resetting to default or restarting app fixes this.

- Notebooks & Tags buttons on favorites bar hide when left column is open

- Left column doesn't auto-hide when entering fullscreen mode

Please try the 3.0 Beta 2 here:

http://evernote.s3.amazonaws.com/mac/pr ... 166096.dmg

28 replies to this idea

I have noticed that the memory of Evernote jumps from 65 MB to 220 MB for Memory even though i'm not using it at all.

Is that normal ?

I have noticed that in Evernote version 2.2.3 (158341) and version 3.0.0 Beta 2.

Anyone else has the same problem ?

• Level 5*
Now you decide what others like best. What makes the difference?.

If you think I am "deciding" then you have completely missed my point.

The point is to allow the user to select the view.

Until that is available then the default view should be the view most users would prefer. Perhaps it's not the Snippet. That was just a guess based on the many posts in these forums concerning views. But I could easily be wrong.

Until you allow the user the choice of views, my guess is that most users would prefer the Snippet view. At least you could set that as the view for now.

Now you decide what others like best. What makes the difference?

I, for one, like the fullscreen view. What I would love to have though (for the beta period), would be an English only version without localization. This way international users like me could follow the beta changes without changing the language of their system all the time.

• Level 5*
Fullscreen mode is actually meant to only have one view. So having the other views disabled is by design.

Is this an Apple rule, or an Evernote rule?

In either case it's a dumb rule.

I'm sorry, but it is very arrogant of Evernote to think you can pick the best view for all users. There are many, many threads in these forums debating what is the best view.

Since the Mac full-screen view is new I can't be for sure, but my understanding of Apple's intent is to get the OS out of the way and let the app enjoy the full screen. I would be very surprised if their intent was to constrain apps in any way.

Until you allow the user the choice of views, my guess is that most users would prefer the Snippet view. At least you could set that as the view for now.

Building on what Metrodon wrote, fullscreen mode is a great idea in a lot of ways, but should probably more appropriately resemble the iPad's user interface. The notecard layout is cool, but double clicking to read a note pops up a window, which then (slowly. thanks to Lion's animation) becomes full-screen itself. Closing the window returns to the desktop and you have to move back over to Evernote's full-screen window.

Unless my installation isn't behaving as intended, it's a very cumbersome interface.

I like the original thinking on display here, but quite a bit of refinement is needed.

- Barry

• Level 5*
Picker buttons are disabled, menu options are available.

Ah good catch. Short-cuts work too. Thanks as always

I'd love to be able to pick a view..... thumbnails are great eye-candy, but being able to fully utilise the screen and keep snippet view would certainly help my productivity....

In order to edit in Full Screen using thumbnails I have to double click on a note, which opens a new window - much quicker to flick through list or snippet view and edit in place.

you can still change views using the view menu.

this new thumbnail view is nice for browsing but needs easy way of viewing a note when clicked.

when i double click a thumbnail in full screen mode, lion switches spaces and no note window opens. to view the note i have to leave full screen.

The view picker should be disabled. If it isn't for you, then that's a bug.

It's a new view that we think works best given the fullscreen environment.

• Level 5*
When I enter full screen mode the app goes into thumbnail view each time - shouldn't it remember the view that the user has chosen?

Fullscreen mode is actually meant to only have one view. So having the other views disabled is by design.

OK, so how come I can pick a view from the View menu then? :)

Just out of interest, why are you forcing that view?

When I enter full screen mode the app goes into thumbnail view each time - shouldn't it remember the view that the user has chosen?

Is it missing, or is it somewhere else?

It is missing, and there is no way of entering fullscreen mode.

When I change the system language to English at System Preferences and relaunch Evernote.app, the fullscreen button appears.

That will fixed. Thanks for the feedback

Is it missing, or is it somewhere else?

It is missing, and there is no way of entering fullscreen mode.

When I change the system language to English at System Preferences and relaunch Evernote.app, the fullscreen button appears.

• Level 5*

List, Snippet, Thumbnail buttons don't work in full screen.

You should probably warn people that the thumbnail generator for full screen may cause the machine to become unresponsive - it's a nasty process which grabbed a very high %o of CPU.

Archived