Does Evernote support video notes?

Hi,

I love Evernote, but I was wondering if there is a way to record a video note on any platform as of right now: Mac, Windows, iPad, iPhone? I can take a picture using iSight on my Mac and record audio notes on my iPad, but I don't see a way to record a video note. Is that something coming in a future version?

Thanks,

AK

You should post this in the Mac section; on Windows, you can create a note using your webcam.

Hi,

I love Evernote, but I was wondering if there is a way to record a video note on any platform as of right now: Mac, Windows, iPad, iPhone? I can take a picture using iSight on my Mac and record audio notes on my iPad, but I don't see a way to record a video note. Is that something coming in a future version?

Thanks,

AK

You can always use third party options. Using an iPhone, you could record a short video & either email it directly to your EN account or use Dropbox as the conduit. For longer video, use one of the low priced, nifty pocket cams & then transfer it via a computer to your EN account. (Or transfer longer video from y our iPhone to your computer then to EN to circumvent the size limitations of email.) I do this often. But keep in mind the file + any additional info in the note including "overhead" still needs to be less than the note limit for your EN account type.

You still also need an app on each computer/device that can play that file type, since EN won't inherently be able to play it.

• 4 months later...

I tend to use my phone constantly to keep track of what my family and I are doing on a given day. This includes photos and videos of the cute/funny things that my kids do.

My workflow with recording these events currently involves me manually sending the photos via email to my sons' email addresses, as well as to my Evernote account, so that they can share in those memories when they get older, and I will have a good record of what they were like when they were young.

If I could cut out the extra step of getting the photos into my Evernote account (which may or may not happen, depending on my motivation levels for that day), it would be super useful to have the photos auto-upload as they are taken on my phone (sort of like what Google+ does).

• 1 month later...

Hey all, I may have missed this, but is it possible to embed video in notes? This seems like it would be a basic feature of evernote. I don't want to upload my own videos, I want to embed links to videos I like from youtube and play them right from my notes. is this possible?

• Level 5*

That's two questions -

• you can embed files of all types in notes, so yes to embedding; subject to the note maximum size of 50MB (prem). If you click an embedded video file, it will play using the software on your computer, phone or pad to do so.
  • you can embed links in any note too - click on a link and it will take you to the web page containing the clip and play it using the native player. In some cases you will need a Flash extension to your browser and if that's not supported by your phone or pad, you will have a problem.

To clarify, you cannot embed in the sense that the video plays within your Evernote note. You can add the video file (if it doesn't exceed the note size) but it will show up as an icon, which, then as gazumped said, you can (double?) click on it (at least in the Windows & iOS clients, IIRC) and the appropriate player on your computer/device will play the video.

• 2 months later...

Thanks for the quick reply. My friend and I are working on a project and I found some instructional videos in YouTube. It would be nice to be able to embed those, or other services like Vimeo, directly into a note. Right now, I just have the videos linked which requires leaving the note and thereby having your concentration interrupted. Once I get to the other site, YouTube, I'm then distracted by all the other stuff there.

Yeah, we definitely see the value in supporting embedded video. May be an interesting task across clients, but you never know. It's on the radar. If I hear anything on traction I'll let ya'll know (and feel free to remind me).

UPDATE: And for a little bit of confirmation + new Avengers clip... http://www.evernote....9005a429d71bf1d

If you download the clip, you can put it into a note, as long as it doesn't exceed the note size. Then you just have to double click the attachment icon for it to be played. I do this quite often.

You download YouTube videos?

If you download the clip, you can put it into a note, as long as it doesn't exceed the note size. Then you just have to double click the attachment icon for it to be played. I do this quite often.

Yup.

Yup.

How is this done and is it a violation of their TOS?
  • Level 5*

Yeah, we definitely see the value in supporting embedded video. May be an interesting task across clients, but you never know. It's on the radar. If I hear anything on traction I'll let ya'll know (and feel free to remind me).

UPDATE: And for a little bit of confirmation + new Avengers clip... http://www.evernote....9005a429d71bf1d

Please consider this a request to add this as a feature to the EN Mac client as well.

• 1 month later...
  • Level 5*

It looks like the Japanese version of the Android Evernote app has video notes. It's not in my version of Android! Not on my iPhone. Not on my iPad. Do you have video notes?

http://blog.evernote.com/jp/2012/05/16/7724 (the video icon is below the camera one in the screen shot?)

It's actually not a feature I am terribly concerned about for my own use, but I am wondering if the Mac, Windows, and other versions have similar discrepancies. In particular, there are all sorts of quirks with Asian language searches. Maybe I should be using Japanese versions. I just assumed (wrongly) that everything was the same...

By the way, the blog says it is a translation of the English blog (本記事は 英語版ブログ記事 の翻訳です), but of course, there is nothing in the English about this video service :)

Video Notes (on android) were removed in a previous beta:

Also, it is worth noticing that video capture is no longer available in this build and replaced with a "file attachement" shortcut.

I haven't seen it since (on my tablet) It didn't work for me, and I was asked to send logs regarding it, so maybe it is being worked on?

Why the difference between the versions, I don't know though.

• Level 5*

From the New York Time Bits Blog:

Evernote was keen to build its business in Japan because, like other tech companies, its programmers were looking to tap the country’s tech-savvy users and make it a testing ground for new services.

The company has been testing a new video-recording feature for users who access Evernote on the NTT DoCoMo network, for example. Evernote rolled out the function in Japan on Wednesday, ahead of other markets.

“A feature like this really relies on very high quality networks and very close cooperation between us and the carrier to make sure that the features work,” Mr. Libin said. “Our strategy internationally is to keep using Japan as our international role model.”

• 4 months later...

My school is using Evernote as part of a dual platform portfolio system. We use Evernote for archiving student work and personal reflections. We chose Evernote because it is so easy to use. It can be used on the iPads by younger students and teachers moving throughout the classroom. The in note camera (for photos) and audio recording capabilities are exactly what is needed for observing and capturing the learning of elementary school students in and out of school. However, we are having a hard time capturing videos and I would really appreciate some help with this. Videos captured on the iPads will only mail into Evernote at 30 second clips. Even those videos we Dropbox onto the Macs are too large to go into the note.

1. Can someone help me with an easy and quick compression tool that doesn't turn this into a multistep process?

2. Does anyone know of a timeframe for when Evernote might add a video in note option? I feel that this is a critical piece for student portfolios and Evernote seems to be exploring this as a serious business strategy.

Thanks.

If you are interested in following our student portfolio work, please see my new blog TRUE Learning.

My first wish for Christmas is that Evernote will make in note video available. Until then, I have found a way to get videos into portfolios and wanted to offer our solutions to anyone else that is interested. I have written full directions on my blog TRUE Learning. Here is the basic information:

From iPad or iPod - use the free app Video Compressor to compress the size of the video. Upload the smaller video file to Dropbox. Attach the video file into a note. This compressor significantly decreases the file size and only takes two clicks to work.

From digital camera - upload the video onto your computer. Import it into iMovie as a new project. Share the project by choosing 'export movie'. Choose the mobile device size and then export.

I'd love to hear of any other quick and easy ways to get videos (longer than 30 seconds) into Evernote. Thanks.

+1 for this request. I use Evernote as my default organization/collection app, but the lack of video embed really knocks it down a notch. There is so much relevant video content on the web for users which makes it an equally viable media type to want to capture. Without this option, Evernote just doesn't feel comprehensive.

Currently I'm switching over to Springpad for captured video due to its excellent video embedding feature. All Springpad really does is capture the page code including the embed code and thumbnail and allow the playback from within the app. I know this sounds easier than it is, especially given the diversity of Evernote clients and extensions, but it a very important feature.

Any news or updates on the viability of adding this feature?

To clarify, We don't offer a way to create videos directly in the Evernote app. You can however create a video in any number of other apps and then bring them into Evernote by simply draggin and dropping them. Of course you must be sure that the file is under our individual file size restrictions (25mb for free users, 50mb for premium users) and you have the monthly upload capacity (60mb for free users, 1gb for premium users).

A potential workaround that we recommend is to upload a video to any number of video services that are optimized to play back the video regardless of the users bandwidth.

Once you've uploaded it to a video site you can copy the link into an Evernote note and have access to it that way (this is also makes a possible workflow for sharing videos).

I use film clips in lifelong learning classes and have found Stomp (http://www.shinywhitebox.com/stomp/) an invaluable tool on the Mac platform. I regularly compress the videos to provide a smaller "footprint" for my Keynote presentations.

Thank you for the resource. I appreciate it. As a tool for more than 100 teacher users and 200 student users, we need the compressor to be inexpensive. iMovie is already installed on their computers and the Video Compressor app is free.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Rhonda,

Thanks for your research on this question - I am also using evernote for student portfolios, and as my students are PreKindergarten age, videos are an important part of capturing their learning and growth. I did a little exploring, but found your video compressor workaround to be the easiest (and cheapest) way to do it for now. Here's hoping for an app that works directly with evernote, or new feature within evernote, to make this easier in the near future!

Love your blog - the IdeaPaint/Kidspiration activity on the human body was great.

-Karen

Hi Rhonda,

Thanks for your research on this question - I am also using evernote for student portfolios, and as my students are PreKindergarten age, videos are an important part of capturing their learning and growth. I did a little exploring, but found your video compressor workaround to be the easiest (and cheapest) way to do it for now. Here's hoping for an app that works directly with evernote, or new feature within evernote, to make this easier in the near future!

Love your blog - the IdeaPaint/Kidspiration activity on the human body was great.

-Karen

Thanks for the feedback, Karen. Please stay in touch. I would love to connect with other educators using Evernote for portfolios. I taught Kindergarten before moving into my new role. I used Evernote extensively to document student information. I am currently looking at various tools and apps that our preschool and K/1 teachers can use to capture learning for the portfolios.

I received an email today about the new Evernote for Mac. I was holding my breath as I went through the new features. I thought I was going to get my wish that in note video had been added - maybe next time. Looks like some amazing new features are being added the the Mac platform, however.

Take care.

I don't store video and photo files directly in Evernote for multiple reasons such as:

Note size limit

I need to also edit videos

I have too many photo and videos (I've captured 10 000+ in the last 6 months)

You can't use photos and videos native metadata(date, location) to sort them in Evernote

You can't use facial recognition to sort photos

Etc.

Instead I use a shared folder on my local network + (YouTube) + Evernote.

Here's the process in short:

I sync all new videos from iPad/iPhone to desktop with Photosync app.

Then I move most of them in a flat folder "processed photos and videos".

That's it... just one huge flat folder for pretty much all photos and videos. (There are some exceptions)

Then I will additionally organise some of those photos/videos in Evernote like this:

8140254845_bf25533dbb_b.jpg

8140286518_164d77fa19_b.jpg

8140255467_af1ff2fa98_b.jpg

I'm using iPad as my main computer so I had to give this some thought...

There's no need for compression or uploading videos to youtube, and, let's face it, if i'm recording hundreds of videos per day - there's no way I'm going to be compressing them or uploading them to YouTube, just to be able to view them on the iPad.

Instead I can just sync them to a folder on my desktop computer and point to this folder in Evernote and use additional apps to stream videos from this folder on iPad/iPhone.

The beauty of this setup is that while all videos are physically stored on the desktop, I can still stream all of them on my iPad/iPhone (with apps like FileBrowser on my local network, or with AirVideo over the Internet) because those videos are additionally organised in Evernote, all I have to do is copy/paste their file names.

Ok so this is a pretty geeky setup but it's easy to use as long as you know what you're doing.

• 1 month later...
  • 5 months later...

I have discovered a few other methods to get video into Evernote on the IPhone without the use of a computer:

http://johnmarshall4.postach.io/post/getting-video-into-evernote-on-ios

Awesome share!  Thanks.  I just tried this method and find it to be the most direct route.  I had a couple of issues compressing videos more than 2 minutes using the lowest (good) quality.  I found that if I went to medium (better), it worked.  This compressed a 2.16 minute video at 345 MB to 12 MB which is fantastic for Premium accounts.  

This will be very helpful to teachers.  I appreciate the share.  I'll be sure to add an update to my blog with a hat tip to John!

Rhonda

WOW, the video slimmer is cool. ;)

It slim down my iphone videos on iPhone directly. More than that, there is a 'open in' function to share compressed videos with other apps on iphone. so you can easily add videos to Evernote with this 'open in' share function....

• 3 months later...
  • Level 5

Yeah, Evernote has one dyslexic guy coding in a basement somewhere.  Everyone else is in sales, marketing and graphics design.  So features like vetted/trusted source embed like youtube or soundcloud via a shortcode like you might do on WordPress (or even the Evernote forums), is going to take a reeeeealy long development cycle.

After all it makes no development priority sense to add embed support and let someone elses servers house large blobs of binary content, scale out the server storage and pay the data carriage fees, when Evernote can store the video content on their own servers and do all that work themselves...  No, wait...

Sorry to come late to the party. I stumbled on this thread while searching for a solution. As gbarry demonstrated, you can use YouTube's embed code, but essentially you're just getting a link.

I prefer to use YouTube's email function to send it to my Evernote account. It still doesn't reside in my notebook. But in addition to a link to the video, Evernote gets the name of the video and everything on the "About" tab on the video.

YouTube's email function doesn't allow users to control the subject line, so I can't direct it to a specific notebook, tag it or set up a reminder using Evernotes @, # or !  features. But I can edit the title at the same time I set up the notebook, tag and reminder.

• 1 month later...

Seems a lot of folks want to be able to embed videos. I'd appreciate even some limited functionality. Web clipping doesn't even grab a thumbnail of the video... Ideally, we could embed youtube, vimeo, and other videos from around the net into notes with a few clicks. In my experience, requests from paying customers that are as easy as this to implement are gold to developers... I'm not sure why this one's still collecting dust.

You're totally right. Software companies that listen to their customers and give them what they want are dumb.

Do a search on this forum for the term youtube. Evernote web clipper is great if you just read articles but for those of us who use the powerful tool that is video... even slight expansion into this area would be greatly appreciated, unique to the market and, yes, easy to code. I'll shut up now so you can go back to chiding other customers for voicing their opinions.

• Level 5*

Unless you're looking at different hits on youtube than I am,  previous posts are 8 months to 1 year old;  so I'd stand by my comment,  which wasn't a chide,  it was just me voicing my opinion...

@ Gaz

Just because there aren't many that many requests, I can't imagine people not using the living daylights out of a feature like this, even if it was just a thumbnail or animated gif preview. 

What I can't imagine is people using the newly launched "Evernote Marketplace" to purchase a $250 backpack, $30 4-pack of Post-it notes, or $80 pack of socks, no matter how much we want to donate to the software for the continuation of improvments and maintenance.  Where are the posts that requested those things in the past?  For a minute I thought I was having a bizarre dream when I first saw those things on the market.

• Level 5*

Well,  there was a suggestion a while ago that if you want to embed a video in a note,  you could set up a temporary web page on your desktop,  embed the video in that,  then copy the page into the note.  It's not a direct embed,  but it is a viable work-around.

As to Evernote's Marketplace,  I can't really comment - business marketing does involve 1) do lots of stuff 2) stop doing the bits that don't work;  so perhaps they're just exploring the market.  If they were selling babies I'd be shocked.  As it stands I Have No Opinion.  I don't need a backpack...

And as a workaround, that's a lot of effort for a program that's supposed to make organization effortless. I tried setting up an IFTTT route. Trouble is, it can only return a URL and description, not the thumbnail (which would be easy. Same address every time but with the video ID, which they already fetch for the URL won't let you have it by itself) so I'm back at square 1 of the same stuff evernote can do. I'm a visual person. Unless I see a thumbnail I'm not going to remember the video. And when you consider the limitless advantages of organizing videos, yeah. It's a damn shame we can't do this.

• Level 5*

Well there's always the prospect of saving a still from the video as a JPG or PNG..  

I really don't know whether Evernote would regard being a video library as a benefit or not - but they're definitely not likely to comment so I guess we'll have to wait and see...

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I often run into little videos that I want to clip. Many times they are found inside larger articles as supplemental information. For example I took this page: http://lifehacker.com/the-essential-kitchen-skills-no-one-taught-but-everyon-1485609388 and using the Web-clipper for Chrome created this page: http://www.evernote.com/shard/s7/sh/23d69c70-2eee-4ee3-95d0-35418cb6b3c3/c8a65d97195c7cbdcd43426984fb7a92 .

You can see there are places for the videos but nothing included. Not even a link to the video on YouTube. This frustrates me as the videos are essential to the tips that I'm trying to archive. 

Thanks for listening.

• 1 month later...

I agree that it's frustrating.  I often clip articles that have embedded video and it doesn't even put a link to the vid.  Shame really.

I've tried using video downloaders but they're quite awkward, and you need to ensure that if you put a video file as an attachment that it's in a readable format for your device/s.  I use Windows/iPhone & iPad.  The mp4 format seems to work on all three.  3gp and flv don't work on iOS for me. Besides, I don't think I need to keep a copy of 90% of video files, I just want to have an easy way to play them. 

What would be great would be for the note to have embedded players that stream the video/audio from the original site.  HTML5 has come a long way and is finally replacing Flash for A/V uses.  For playback it's already widely supported.  So when can we have say a webclipper that detects that it's clipping a page with YouTube content, and then embeds the YouTube HTML5 player in the note? 

Thoughts or ideas?

Cheers,

Phil

Good point.

I suppose that's a trade-off of storing only a link against storing a whole video file.  Most of the videos in the articles that I clip never get removed (I'd say 95% are on YouTube). 

And even if they did get removed, it's not a major loss to me.  If I find a video that I really must keep then I download it and attach it as an mp4 file.

Phil

• Level 5

Functionally, Embedding isn't the tricky part.
Evernote uses Chromium and TinyMCE on the client render side, and there are embed plugins for TinyMCE (the wysiwyg editor).

But playing it back...  would assume the full HTML5 rendering bits (I'm not assuming they're there) or Flash support.
And the flash won't be workable on the mobile clients, so you're back to HTML, or passing off the video to native players.
Straight forward grunt work, but nowhere near as simple as the actual link embedding part of the UI.

[cynic] In the current context, I can't see them diverting work to a feature that would use up less of your monthly upload allowance, and reduce pressure to convert to Premium. [/cynic]

But it would at least work without effort on their part in a web share, so there's some real value.

Likely means even more attention to managing spam issues, copyright issues.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm glad to see there is a discussion at least going on here. Even though it seems to be without response from Evernote themselves.

Me, I'm trying to create a knowledge bank for me and my colleagues and sharing articles that have embed video is part of the information gathering. I feel cheated to pay the money I do for evernote business and not getting this function.   

And not getting at least something that marks there is/have been a video in the webb clip (that can redirect us toward where its actually stored) is the stupidest thing I've seen since joining Evernote. 

We will improve the web clipper to capture the 'poster' of the video more consistently with a link back to the source. As for actually including the video file I will have to get back on that. 

Thank you! This at least gives comfort that you are listening, which is part of reaching a better customer experience. 

Can you please let us know how likely it is for this to happen soon? The capturing poster part. 

And as its staged here and elsewhere over the net, having an embed video is not rocket science these days. Please show you are still part of the evolution. 

Embeding youtube in your notes feature would definitely bring Evernote to the next level. It's gonna be like all grounds are uncovered from that point on. Wondering if someone has found a work around to watch youtube inside your notes? I'll try Springpad as someone suggested above, I guess for now, only as my videos organization solution.

• 2 weeks later...

I'll just chime in and say that I'd also really like to see better video clipping options in Evernote. I was sort of an Evernote dabbler for many years, but I use it pretty regularly now, and this is a feature that sort of throws a wrench in my ability to consistently use Evernote as my 'go-to' method of organization. 

I'm a teacher, and I use Evernote to clip all kinds of stuff for use in my classes. I love having the ability to tag resources with the names of whatever units I think I might use it for. I often use YouTube or TED videos in my classroom, and not being able to clip the videos (or at least some kind of screen shot of the video) is frustrating. Not a huge deal, really, but still something that I'd really like to see. I know I can download videos and attach them, but I almost feel like that's requiring me to do something that I'm not technically supposed to do (I feel like if YouTube wanted you to download videos, they'd include that as an option--but currently you have to use other services to download). But anyway, I'll survive. Just wanted to add my support to the idea. :)

jbignert already commented, which I'm thankful for - I've been an Evernote user for years and have enjoyed watching the growth of the platform - but this has been one area that has really bugged me. I understand not allowing you to "automatically download and store the video file," the copyright issues along would be monumental and would open them up to a whole host of idiotic law suits. However, web clipping has for a long time been a big part of the Evernote experience and to not support "multimedia" be it video or audio on the websites seems to be shortsighted. I think for me (and probably many others) just retaining the thumbnail and a link back to the original would be enough. If the link goes down it goes down, happens all the time. And though I will occasionally rip something from youtube and the like, I'm pretty sure they don't appreciate it and there is still such a thing as intellectual property.

Thanks jbignert for the comment and the work you guys do. like most of your gracious customers I will wait patiently till the feature arrives. How about providing it by yesterday  ;)

• 2 months later...
  • Level 5*

Business isn't simple. Schools and students probably aren't a great revenue stream for Evernote because they are often under-funded or plain cash poor.

Meanwhile, the often derided socks, bags and scanners are providing a pretty healthy income - http://techcrunch.com/2013/12/10/evernotes-market-for-physical-goods-now-accounts-for-30-of-its-monthly-sales/

• Level 5*

I think you are rather missing the point.

Do you think the same guys who work on socks work on the service or clients? The market does have a positive effect on the company though, it provides cash for investment in tools, people, other businesses.

Evernote is a million miles away from a 'social entrepreneurship', they have already spoken about their plans for an IPO.

If you look at the history of Evernote, you will see that they have pretty clearly been trying to build a very general app that can be used for a wide range of use cases. I very very much doubt that they will build out a platform specifically for any group.

vidopop app is integrated with evernote API where vidopop users can "send a video of any size to an evernote, free to use, instant recording and streaming to the cloud, and no limit on archiving videos.

You can always use third party options. Using an iPhone, you could record a short video & either email it directly to your EN account or use Dropbox as the conduit. For longer video, use one of the low priced, nifty pocket cams & then transfer it via a computer to your EN account. (Or transfer longer video from y our iPhone to your computer then to EN to circumvent the size limitations of email.) I do this often. But keep in mind the file + any additional info in the note including "overhead" still needs to be less than the note limit for your EN account type.

You still also need an app on each computer/device that can play that file type, since EN won't inherently be able to play it.

Archived