(Archived) Feature Request: Attaching Files of Any type

Hi,

I'm wondering if there are any plans on adding a feature which will allow users to attach any type of general files. I could see tremendous value in being able to attach word docs, spreadsheets, zip, etc. to my notes.

Thanks,

Bryan

I agree, it will be extremely useful to have such options.

by dengberg on Thu Jun 26, 2008 9:18 pm here

We're not really tuned to just be a "hard drive" for random files ... I.e. we don't want to just be a backup for random .exe files, etc. We do plan to expand our list of supported media, but wanted to keep a focus on notes and documents, rather than just being a bulk storage dump. We're still in internal discussions on this topic, however.

I don't think, that it will be often used as backup solution just because of upload limit, f.e., but benefits from this feature are great.

I'm looking forward to see expanded list of supported media, especially OpenDocument files, but there are many situations then possibility to attach even not indexed [binary] file are very useful... And for planned, but not yet implemented formats it can be a temporary solution, that let me, f.e., attach my odt whitelists to working notes, gnupg-encrypted keyfile to note with account description, or even pcm wav with interview to it text.

Can we have it, pleeeease? :)

PS

Sorry for my poor English

Since the dengberg quote was originally meant to my comment, then I'm of course also very interested in having more options for adding files to Evernote :)

I don't think anybody will intend to use it as a backup, and if that's what they fear, maybe Evernote should either:

1) Make binary files only for local notebooks

2) Offer a "VIP Premium" package with more monthly bandwidth, binary files allowance and some other goodies, at a higher price.

I really really really miss the ability of putting in a .psd file or something from our designers, to attach it to other notes I have on the project. But I'm sure Evernote will come up with something useful for us, they tend to be pretty good at listening to feature requests if they are not too "wild". Let's hope.

We're not really tuned to just be a "hard drive" for random files ... I.e. we don't want to just be a backup for random .exe files, etc.

I'd like to be able to use Evernote as a backup! Why not. And adopt Amazon's S3 pricing model (and rates!).

Although I agree the move should be incremental and not compromise increasing functionality. In other words, create a back up, by stealth.

In the meantime, I agree that more file types need to be supported. For example, I've just clipped a note from the web, that has a small video clip associated with it, but it does not appear I can add the video clip, it's a .WXV file. Now I've got to store it somewhere else.

It does seem to paste an icon and provide a link to the original file, but the link doesn't work, so I don't know what's going on here.

Cheers,

JLK

possibly as a Premium feature.

Fine by me, as I'm in for a whole year already :D

Seriously, I do believe such a feature should be for Premium also.

+1 from me too. I'm a premium user, would be happy to pay more for this kind of functionality.

I don't intend to be a kiljoy, but EN is meant to be a note taking utility. A way to store, and quickly retreive whatever documents we want with little hassle. I can see adding different document formats, but as this system still has quite a few features that should be high priority, I do not think we should be branching out in areas other than that of a central note storage and access system.

I agree we could go there later, but lets get the core system fully implimented before we try to add non-documents related functions.

Just an opinion I will probably get flamed for ...

-Gary

Datastorage definitely not.

But as a minimum, the same ability as found in EN2.

Our most important memories are deep into lots of our work or personal desktop or laptop.

If it is a Web only NOTE System, it will be of little use.

This is so obvious!

Tom

I don't intend to be a kiljoy, but EN is meant to be a note taking utility. A way to store, and quickly retreive whatever documents we want with little hassle. I can see adding different document formats, but as this system still has quite a few features that should be high priority, I do not think we should be branching out in areas other than that of a central note storage and access system.

I agree we could go there later, but lets get the core system fully implimented before we try to add non-documents related functions.

-Gary

Hi Gary,

No flames ;-) I think this comes down to an issue of philosophy, and I've been tossing around in my head what I'd like to see but I realize this product can't do everything. For example:

- At first I thought it would be useful as a general index of all files on the computer ... kind of a Google Desktop. But then, why duplicate Google Desktop?

- Next I thought it would be useful to share files across platforms, machines, etc. Great, but the problem there is the quota ... I can see that if I really start using this, I might blow out any quota.

- Then I wondered if I could import my .pst from Outlook and see my emails ... no dice. (Google Desktop does this, BTW), but then I really could drag individual emails to evernote and that would probably be more productive in the long run ... I could always let Google do a broad search for me if I needed it.

I think one of the big problems I encountered is that this is not the usual kind of software. It is kind of special. Neither fish nor fowl ;-) What still puzzles me is what I can use this product for and how best to do so. I started using it as a better alternative to de.licious while doing research. It is great for that. But when I discovered I could snap pictures with my cell phone and index the writing in the picture and search on it ... I was so blown away with the idea of searching scans that I tried to use PDFs of statements I scanned, but no dice there either. It is kind of confusing.

What would really help new users is some documentation on usage scienarios. "Here is how you could use this as a personal or business productivity tool." Then show the power of the product in a real workflow example. Same for doing reasearch, etc. Rignt now all I could find is some comments on blogs saying things like: "Neat for taking notes." "Cool for organizing pictures." Or whatever.

Sorry for the ramble, but this really does seem so useful that I'd love to find a way to fully integrate it into my workflow: WM smart phone, scanner, Outlook email (and tasks, and calendar), local PC, laptop web connected, smart phone connected, etc. etc. etc.

Cheers,

Mike

I don't think that file attachments are not note taking function. At least, ability to attach any file can be a first and fast step to add basic possibility to work with different document formats not making us, users :D , to wait hours, days, months, years before there will be full support of this or that file format on all platforms, and important measure not completely exclude users who need files and formats that hardly ever will be supported.

Again, sorry for my poor English.

• 1 month later...

If I may add; I use EN for note taking purposes only, but this may include files currently not recognised --and hence not allowed- by the program. An example are the .amr files (MMS compatible) created by my Nokia phone's voice recorder. I use my phone for notes, either through photo or voice recording; not being able to transfer one of the two defeats the purpose of an all-in-one notetaker such as EN.

Alexander

I do a lot of small programming projects.

I'm very forgetful and I use EN to document what I've done in each project, how I overcame certain problems, etc...

I would REALLY like a way to attach textual files (scripts, source code). Don't want binary and don't need binary.

But I'm really not comfortable with the idea of pasting my code directly into notes (at the moment I only paste the "highlights", the important stuff).

I mostly scroll through my notes, not search, so I can't have huge notes comprised of source code.

+1 from me to drag/drop files into notes...with the option to embed or link to the original file...a very frequent note taking thing for me to do as I'm doing my work.

Right now I have to use Microsoft OneNote to support my daily work since I need to link/embed files and make notes about them as I go thru my day.

--

dg

Archived