(Archived) Evernote for MacOS 3.0.0 Beta 1

dlu

Idea

Hello People of Evernote on Mac,

We have a Beta 1 full of Lion-y goodness! It is still a little rough around the edges, but we'd like to see what you think of it thus far.

We have some new Lion toolbar buttons. We're also debuting a new favorites bar as a replacement to the search explanation bar.

If you've enabled Beta updates, click on "Check For Updates..." from the "Help" menu or visit http://s.evernote.com/mac2preview

We'll be working on more Mac updates as well as the Safari clipper replacement and hope to have more for you soon.

thanks!

85 replies to this idea

Now for a quick bit science...based on our only sample, people who have posted in this thread.

Those who like the new UI - 6

Those who don't like it - 3

Those who are a bit meh about it - 2

Really metrodon? I come back from tea to find this? :)

I'm going to assume you were tallying up opinions and already all setup with some fancy Markov Chain Monte Carlo computation when I posted. And well, since there's no need for advanced statistics go to waste, I'll give you a pass.

Everyone else, no more stats.

• Level 5*

Now for a quick bit science...based on our only sample, people who have posted in this thread.

Those who like the new UI - 6

Those who don't like it - 3

Those who are a bit meh about it - 2

Maybe as you suggest the forum is a sample of the real world, in that case it looks like the majority are either going to be in favour of or not care about the new UI. This is emphasised further if we take into account the 'people coming onto a forum to moan more than praise effect'.

If as also been suggested that Evernote listen to the tech-savvy users on the forum, I would guess that this is a thumbs up to move forward with the Lion UI style.

Personally, I fall into the meh category - but I'm certainly not going to waste energy trying to swim against the tide on this. Apple are leading and OS X developers are going to follow. In the end, does it stop me capturing data (when they fix the clipper)? Finding stuff? No, it doesn't and in a week's time most people won't even think about it anymore.

Thanks for your feedback everyone. I appreciate the points you've all made, but I'd also like to keep this thread for delving into a discussion on statistics, polling or what is the best possible way to gather user feedback.

The forum is imperfect, but the team does review posts and it is discussed in our internal team meetings. So please do keep posting. As to whether we can address all of your concerns, well... *wanders off to get some tea*

Also, how do you know that many people do 'NOT' like the Lion UI changes? A handful have posted in here out of how many thousands/tens of thousands on the beta track - I think it is very important to keep perspective on the size of the opinion that is aired in these forums. Evernote has somewhere around 10-11m accounts, the forum is a vociferous but tiny community and when a small percentage of people on here say they don't like something well do the maths yourself. The equation becomes even worse when you add the fact that people are more likely to come on here to complain rather than to say they like something. So we have gone from 'many' to an almost infinitessimal number.

I don't mean to be rude, but it looks like you went there first. Let's try to keep this civil.

1. Not everyone who doesn't like the changes will post in the forums (not everyone is that tech savvy, or perhaps just doesn't care enough). Therefore, the problem is larger than just the people posting in the forums. So it should not be ignored.

2. Have you considered what will happen once Evernote 3 leaves the beta track? It's not like everyone will suddenly fall in love with the interface. In fact, there could be more complaints on the forums than there are now, once it hits the majority of users (like you said, it's a small percentage that are on the beta track).

3. Consider the population in these forums. Mostly (relatively) tech-savvy users, or power-users (or both). Those are probably pretty good people to get advice from, given their understanding of UI design, functionality, and features. If anything Evernote should be counting these forums more, as these are the people willing to voice their opinion, help others, or promote the product at their own expense.

4. You're correct, people are more likely to mention a problem here than voice praise. Does that mean that there isn't a problem? No, it means that the problem gets more attention than the problems Evernote has already fixed. And that makes sense to me.

5. How did you get to your "infinitesimal" (spelling corrected from the original) number? I think it's 100% speculation and you pulled it out of nowhere, but I'd love to see your data.

Clearly your title of "Evernote Evangelist" is accurate.

A handful have posted in here out of how many thousands/tens of thousands on the beta track - I think it is very important to keep perspective on the size of the opinion that is aired in these forums. Evernote has somewhere around 10-11m accounts, the forum is a vociferous but tiny community and when a small percentage of people on here say they don't like something well do the maths yourself. The equation becomes even worse when you add the fact that people are more likely to come on here to complain rather than to say they like something. So we have gone from 'many' to an almost infinitessimal number.

In statistics this is called sampling. If say 20 people on this forum complain about something and that represents say 10% of current forum users (the sample), then you should conclude that this sample of 10% represents a similar percent of people in the total "population" of Evernote users who will feel the same. Obviously you can modify this somewhat based on your assumptions (like your assumption that people are more likely to complain on these forums.). You should not however, confuse this forum sample with the absolute number of people who feel that way.

Sorry if that sounded too preachy.

The Evernote button is missing from Safari 5.1; I'm using 10.6.8. Has anyone had that happen? How do I get it back?

Is there any way to roll back to the previous version? I really depend on this button to clip stuff from the web browser.

• Level 5*

The apps have never and will never look the same - the platforms are different.

If they'd wanted to build an app that was uniform across platforms then they would have built a java webstart app or something equally cruddy. Why should I as a Mac user have to put up with the UI constraints of Windows? And vice versa?

Also, how do you know that many people do 'NOT' like the Lion UI changes? A handful have posted in here out of how many thousands/tens of thousands on the beta track - I think it is very important to keep perspective on the size of the opinion that is aired in these forums. Evernote has somewhere around 10-11m accounts, the forum is a vociferous but tiny community and when a small percentage of people on here say they don't like something well do the maths yourself. The equation becomes even worse when you add the fact that people are more likely to come on here to complain rather than to say they like something. So we have gone from 'many' to an almost infinitessimal number.

As for Lion being Apple's Vista - this isn't the place to discuss it, so send me a PM with pleasure and you can point me towards some evidence that this is the case. All the reviews I've seen are pointing towards Lion being highly successful and even Apple's own message boards appear to have less issues being reported than when Snow Leopard was introduced.

With all due respects to Metrodon, I think some here are forgetting that Evernote is NOT just a Mac app - it is cross-platform.

It should be consistent in its UI across ALL those platforms, IMHO. It never has been, but it has been close. The Windows version is quite a bit different from the Mac version, which is different again from the Web version, etc.

If we accept that small-screen mobile versions for iPhone and iPad are a separate thing (and I actually like the iPad version, while NOT liking that silly big PLUS sign in the iPhone version), then the Web, Windows, and Mac versions should look and act pretty much the same. But they don't, and moving the Mac version to the Lion look (which many people do NOT like) is taking it further away from uniformity across platforms. And removing the Evernote character and "personality".

As someone else posted, it is easy to take the cheap shot and dismiss any dislike of a new interface as "Get used to it". I think that attitude had a lot to do with the ridicule of Vista, and even now, the fact that Windows 7 has been declining in favour of MacOSX. But Lion COULD just be Apple's very own Vista, and I'd hate to see Evernote become too "Lionised" and tarred with the same brush.

My CPU goes crazy and its the Evernote program using 100% CPU for some strange reason. I have to force quit it to stop. I'm on Lion.

Were you able to get activity logs over to support?

I've been getting betas for a while now and found this one really buggy. Ironically the "Contact Evernote" menu item hangs the program. (I get a beachball).

My CPU goes crazy and its the Evernote program using 100% CPU for some strange reason. I have to force quit it to stop. I'm on Lion.

• Level 5*

Evernote derives a large amount of it's positive press from being an Apple 'darling', always featured in some form or another at Apple announcements etc.

I think it's highly likely that they will move to a more Lion-esque UI (as lots and lots of third party developers will) as a new release gets closer.

I have read as much positive comment about the Lion UI and how it emphasises content as I have negative and I don't see Evernote using something similar as being any less compelling or likely to reduce demand for the product.

There is an accepted rule I think that the vast majority of people are quite resistant to change and this is as true with interface design as with anything else in life.

That's certainly an easy and convenient way to dismiss these concerns ... but I think an unfair one, and a bit of a cheap shot.

For the record, I've successfully installed Lion on my Macs, am happily "reverse scrolling," and in general look forward to all forms of progress.

There are lots of areas where Evernote could assign some development resources, and I agree that text formatting should be at the top of the list. Sooner or later they'll have to implement a stronger RTF formatting model for typed-in notes, and not just rely on the bastardized HTML scheme that they currently use.

But a usable and visually compelling UI is also very important -- both for usability, and to give EN the market appeal it needs to continue to grow. Evernote really needs to abandon its lowest-common-denominator approach its used in the Mac UI arena.

• Level 5*

You are a bit....

If they continue to support 2 UI models then every change that is made to the UI will have to be made and tested in two places, which adds to complexity and cost and in the end hurts end users either in the pocket or in the quality of the software they use.

As for the issues with Lion.....well I always think it is the users responsibility to ensure that his apps work on a new OS.

Good points, BUT the skinning is essentially already done. The old interface as it was in the version just updated, and the new one. Just those two - that's all - traditional or new.

I have upgraded one Mac to Lion, and it has been a total disaster. Loads of incompatible apps, lost a whole load of important Windows-only stuff that was installed under VMWare Fusion, - I won't bore you with all the gory details. Suffice to say, rolling back via Time Machine didn't work either as Lion won't let a lot of its system files get overwritten with older versions (Microsoft - where are you?).

BUT - now that I reinstalled Lion from scratch and reinstalled everything, over a period of two days of wasted time, I have turned OFF the so-called natural scrolling (might be natural when you're touching the screen on an iPad, but not with a mouse - it's UN-natural after 30-odd years). I have also turned off the silly Launcher - I have a dock for that. Etc - basically it now looks and feels just like Snow Leopard!! Which is just as well because the other computers in the house are still on Snow Leopard and staying there until at least three versions of Lion and all the programs have been updated. So having consistency among interfaces would be a huge help.

That's ignoring the aesthetic preferences for the traditional Evernote interface and UI that we have all come to know - and love.

Call me a stick in the mud, but I DO love new things, and new programs, new interfaces etc. BUT most definitely NOT this new boring bland greyness that is Lion, and I see no reason for Evernote to follow that path.

With the code for both traditional and "new" interfaces already existing, I would think it should not be such a huge job to have it all in there and just switchable via an option in the Preferences. But I speak as a non-programmer, so I might be spouting pure cobblers...! :)

Just referring back to the debate on the User Interface and its slavish copying of the Lion GREYNESS nonsense - I just upgraded Rapidweaver from Realmac. And yup - all the icons, toolbars etc were the same as they've always been. All in colour, and Rapidweaver still looks like Rapidweaver. Its character is still there.

This is on the new "Lion" upgrade of the program. Just to show that you don't NEED to copy the awful grey blandness of Lion.

Not wanting to harp on the point - but at least having the option to keep the traditional and now much-loved Evernote interface characteristics would be a lovely thing... ;)

That, of course, is just for those of us who dislike the grey stuff in Lion - and there are a lot of blogs out there that express the same opinion.

Anyway - I've said enough on this matter, and as this is a beta version, maybe the EN team can incorporate the traditional AND the new interface in the next version?

Really? The default font for a note is Arial instead of Helvetica? /fontnerd

It is quite annoying that the mobile version creates Helvetica 14, and the Mac version changes text to Airal 13 w/o the option of using Helvetica. Please fix it.

This problem happens because you are using Evernote in Danish. If you want to test the new favorites bar, you can go to System Preferences(Systemindstillinger) --> Language & Text(Sprog & tekst) and select English as your preferred language.

This is not only a problem in Danish. I tested it in German too, same problem.

Ah, yes. I did suspect it was a translation issue. Thanks for clarifying. I haven't been at my computer for a couple of weeks and it seems to have resolved itself with the 3.0.0 Beta 4.

The app has been fully translated to Danish but the translations has obviously not been added to the beta yet, they will no doubt be added sometime before the final version. You can help out translating, go to: http://translate.evernote.com/ :-P

Good to know someone puts an effort into the Danish translation. I might just go help with it, as I do have a few issues with the current translation. For instance, I think "Favoritter-linjen" is a bit awkward in comparison to Mails "favoritlinje".

Hi, evernote has some great potential as a useful full-screen app. When I press the key combination in beta 2 to create a new note, the window opens in the full-screen space, which doesn't make any sense. Mail in full-screen mode, for example, also opens new windows in the current space. Screen capture also seems to be pretty buggy for me...

Best!

• Level 5*
Like the last 2X builds, this beta (Version 3.0.0 Beta 1 (161622)) refuses to encrypt notes.

Another build, again no ability to encrypt notes (Version 3.0.0 Beta 2 (166096)). Can someone let those of us having this issue, (despite seeing our notes updated between builds), provide a way to fix this? I’d be happy to start from scratch with a new data file if that’s what it takes.

I found that doing a completely clean install (including deleting all my data on my Mac) fixed it. Just make sure you are all sync'd up first and have exported your local notes so you can import them back in.

Like the last 2X builds, this beta (Version 3.0.0 Beta 1 (161622)) refuses to encrypt notes.

Another build, again no ability to encrypt notes (Version 3.0.0 Beta 2 (166096)). Can someone let those of us having this issue, (despite seeing our notes updated between builds), provide a way to fix this? I’d be happy to start from scratch with a new data file if that’s what it takes.

I have experienced a freeze in the Mac clipper on occasion, but was not able to reproduce it consistently until last week. I was running Evernote Mac 3.0.0 Beta 1 on OS 10.6.8. The open applications were Mail, Chrome, iCal and Evernote.

To reproduce the freeze, you can skip either step 1 or step 3 but not both:

(1) While in Chrome or iCal (not Mail), move the cursor to the top edge of the screen.

(2) Type command-control-C.

(3) Move the crosshairs past the top of the screen.

(4) Try to move the crosshairs into a window.

Effect: The crosshairs are frozen all or most of the time. Sometimes they free up briefly but then freeze again. It becomes very hard to select a rectangle to clip. A click in a window sometimes clips it all, as it should, but sometimes does nothing.

Workaround: Press escape and start over.

Note: I have an external monitor to the right of the main monitor but all of the above was happening on the main monitor.

I am wondering if other users can reproduce this, and if so, whether it's hampered their use of EN.

Larry Tesler

Please restore the old Search Explanation functionality - or something that provides the same capabilities. I may not be able to continue using EN without it.

Are you largely looking for something to:

1. Show what search criteria you've added

2. Clear your search altogether

I need both. I need to see the current search criteria and the ability to completely clear all current search criteria. In the current beta it seems I have to click into a different notebook to reset search.

• Level 5*

There is an accepted rule I think that the vast majority of people are quite resistant to change and this is as true with interface design as with anything else in life.

Take a look at the Apple forums and note the horror and hysteria that has greeted the Lion UI and the sheer scandal of scrolling changing. However, the reality is that within a week most people will have forgotten their objections as they get used to the new stuff. The very small percentage that don't might choose to move on (Windows or Linux, Lion people? No, I didn't think so) or will continue to gripe. The vast majority will just get on with their lives/work/note taking whatever and pretty quickly forget the 'old' way.

From a personal point of view, I'd hate to see Evernote devote resources to skinning the app when there are many more useful and important (IMHO) things that they could be doing in order to satisfy the small minority who cannot/will not accept the new.

Please restore the old Search Explanation functionality - or something that provides the same capabilities. I may not be able to continue using EN without it.

Are you largely looking for something to:

1. Show what search criteria you've added

2. Clear your search altogether

There is a known issue where the favorites bar is still called the search explanation bar in the view menu. You should be able to show/hide it from there. I'll be on the look out for other name/label mismatches.

Not only does it still reference the search explanation bar, it toggles the search explanation bar as it always did - not the new favorites bar. It, the favorites bar, simply is not there.

Edit: I thought perhaps a screenshot would be useful:

Evernote.png

This problem happens because you are using Evernote in Danish. If you want to test the new favorites bar, you can go to System Preferences(Systemindstillinger) --> Language & Text(Sprog & tekst) and select English as your preferred language.

This is not only a problem in Danish. I tested it in German too, same problem.

I wonder if this is a language issue? My system is in Danish and the Danish translation is quite obviously not up-to-date, so maybe somehow missing strings or untranslated strings make the Favourites Bar fail to render...

The app has been fully translated to Danish but the translations has obviously not been added to the beta yet, they will no doubt be added sometime before the final version. You can help out translating, go to: http://translate.evernote.com/ :-P

That's certainly an easy and convenient way to dismiss these concerns ... but I think an unfair one, and a bit of a cheap shot.

I have to agree with Pitamakan here. In fact, Apple routinely make changes that people are resistant to, until they actually start using them. Doing the right thing has rewards, as Apple has shown. Is it easy? No. It is worth it, however.

I applaud the effort to evolve EN.

The current incarnation of the Favorites bar isn't doing much for me, but I can see how it could become something useful. I think it might allow me to hide the side navigation bar if it had a drop down selector for Saved Searches in addition to the Notebook drop down. Being able to drag a individual Saved Search to the Favorites bar would be nice as well.

However, I'm struggling without the old Search Explanation and Reset functionality. I rely primarily on tag and key word searches to locate what I'm looking for - I use notebooks as general filing buckets. The Search Explanation functionality gave me a clear way of knowing exactly what search criteria was currently in play. Having a count of the notes returned by the current search criteria was very handy. The Reset button gave me a definitive way of clearing the board and starting a search from a known point. Now that my note count is getting fairly substantial (~2k), having a quick and clear view of my current search criteria is essential. As it stands now, I'm finding it nearly impossible to tell at any given time exactly what criteria is driving the displayed notes.

It's a no-brainer for Evernote to following the changes in the style of the UI of the OS. Whether you like this new Lion style or not, it makes good sense for Evernote to adopt it. Most reviewers also give points for this.

However, I hope this doesn't end up being the primary focus of this next update.

• Level 5*

OK, I'm a bit confused.

Can someone from Evernote please clarify if the current released versions of EN Mac, Firefox native clipper, and Safari native clipper will work properly under Mac Lion?

Thanks.

Thanks for the feedback and all your opinions, they help shape the application development. A lot of what we've heard in the forums confirms our existing roadmap.

There is a known issue where the favorites bar is still called the search explanation bar in the view menu. You should be able to show/hide it from there. I'll be on the look out for other name/label mismatches.

This is an early beta, so you'll see more from us soon.

Thanks everyone

I disagree that it looks ugly - I think the look very much fits with Lion's subtle Aqua refinements, so keep up the good work guys.

I'm sure you guys noticed this, but why is the sync icon beveled when the rest of the (non-capsulized) icons recessed? It also has drop shadow when the rest of them don't:

Screen%20Shot%202011-07-24%20at%201.56.33%20PM.png

I also wouldn't mind some speed improvements, but that might be Lion more than anything.

That's what Apple claims, anyway ... but then they egregiously violated their own alleged guidelines by adding that faux-leather look to iCal and the Address Book. Though I really dislike the new Evernote icons, I'm at least grateful that EN didn't decide to ape the iCal look.

I know it's early, but so far the most visible bit of "Lion-y goodness" in the beta is the new monochrome icon set ... fuzzy and unintuitive and ugly. :(

That said, though, I really like the concept of the favorites bar -- if we're eventually able to edit it, adding saved searches and such, it will be extremely useful. Far better than the existing left sidebar.

Probably a matter of personal taste, but I prefer it here as in Mail and Safari... the eye focuses on the content, not the "chrome", when icons and menu bars are muted.

I know it's early, but so far the most visible bit of "Lion-y goodness" in the beta is the new monochrome icon set ... fuzzy and unintuitive and ugly. :D

That said, though, I really like the concept of the favorites bar -- if we're eventually able to edit it, adding saved searches and such, it will be extremely useful. Far better than the existing left sidebar.

• Level 5*

I think it's important to keep a sense of perspective here - this is an early Beta released for enthusiasts to have a play with and give feedback on. I'm sure by the time it gets to Prod there will be a number of changes and as we all know, once it's released there will continue to be quick updates adding functionality and cleaning up bugs.

The media will get the cleaner more polished version and I'm pretty sure that Evernote will continue to grow - the app remains pretty much constantly in the top 10 in the OS X app store and is featured in pretty much every Apple presentation about OS X and iOS, hardly signs of decline.

We should really try not to get carried away, if you don't like rough round the edges software, well, don't take the beta upgrades.

At first glance I have to wonder if this beta was made in the context of Lion or simply on Evernote's own upgrade path with no effort to utilise Lion's capabilities. Much has been made over the past month of the Evernote team waiting for the public launch of Lion before releasing an update. Looking at this v3 Beta, you can see why. It would appear no one at Evernote had ever seen Lion let alone developed Evernote 3 to utilise the new OS capabilities. Does the company not participate in the development program like most major software companies?

There is no congruity with the new OS, none of the basic capabilities (notably full screen) have been incorporated. Very disappointing. Moreover, longstanding bugs have not been addressed. It would seem that Evernote is doing little more than token work on the Mac side. The contrast between the improvements in v4 for Windows and v3 for Mac is blatantly obvious. Evernote needs to either pump more resources into its Mac efforts or face a decline in take-up. It doesn't take much foresight to see the media reviews for Evernote 3 will be disparaging at best if much more effort is not applied.

No matter what hoops I jump through, I keep seeing the Search Explanation bar. No trace of a favourites bar. Yes, I am on Lion and upgraded to the new beta earlier.

Edit: I wonder if this is a language issue? My system is in Danish and the Danish translation is quite obviously not up-to-date, so maybe somehow missing strings or untranslated strings make the Favourites Bar fail to render...

Thanks

I think it's a little ugly to be honest...

Almost looks like a proof of concept!

Well, it would be really nice to be able to hide the Favourites bar.....

/snip

...I think you should replicate the behaviour too.

agree

• Level 5*

If I select All in the favourites bar and then a tag from the drop down then all notes with the tag are returned.

If I then select All again then all notes are shown, but the Tag 'button' still shows the tag that i'd previously selected.

Shouldn't it be reset?

• Level 5*

Well, it would be really nice to be able to hide the Favourites bar.....

And if you are going to replicate the look of Apple's own Apps - this is obviously Mail - then I think you should replicate the behaviour too. The user should be able to drag notebooks/tags/saved searches to the bar - and remove the defaults too.

Right now it does not appear that we can make any changes to the Favorites bar ?

Right now I am not seeing much use for the Favorites bar. If I could move saved searches there ?

Can you explain what type of notes are supposed to show up under Mobile ?

Since you asked I would love to have the ability to search across All (as a group) of my Shared Notebooks (42 at current count)

The favorites bar is Lion only and is a bit different than the search explanation bar. We're still playing around with how it will interact with the left hand column, any feedback on that is much appreciated

I strongly agree that the new UI is very unfortunate ... but I also know that at this point, it's a foregone conclusion. :)

That said -- and no offense to the current EN staff -- I really wish Evernote would take a little bit of its venture funding and hire a really top-notch UI designer for its desktop apps. I suspect I'm not alone in saying that I use EN in spite of the UI rather than because of it, and someday it would be nice to see a UI that matches the quality of the Evernote concept.

I didn't like the UI in iTunes when it removed color from the sidebar and I don't like the same changes in Lion. Color gave me an easy way to glance at something and know exactly what it was without having to put any focus on it to see what the glyph or text was. They killed that with the changes to iTunes and now Lion. They never distracted from content.

They also made iCal have a ridiculous fake leather look. Love Apple products but they aren't perfect in the UI department by any means.

I'd really prefer you guys spend time on basics like the text editor vs. worrying about "Lion-y goodness". The editor is still a mess. The thing that keeps me using Evernote is everything else and the integration other apps have with Evernote. The state of the text editor is really unforgivable given that Mac OS X provides a nice text editor out of the box for developers.

Cmon guys. Worry about the important stuff first.

Metrodon is like my second brain for the Evernote forums.

You were in two minds about saying that, weren't you? :lol:

But joking aside, thanks for participating on this thread. I really hope you take seriously the comments about the UI - especially this slavish Lion-look. I gather I'm not the only one who dislikes it, going on at least 4 reviews in magazines and blogs I've read in the last week.

As one poster said on my other thread - there's no need to go as far as "angry fruit salad", but judicious use of colour and style in your UI tends to set you apart from the now-all-grey anonymous Lion look.

For what it's worth, I agree with the above post about the text editor taking priority. It should indeed.

But the UI also is important - it is the character, the soul, of the software.

Given the apparent dichotomy of views on the new Lion bland grey anonymouos look, perhaps an option for the UI appearance (almost like a skin) would be the better way to go? For those who like grey, they can have it grey. For those who like the touches of colour, then an option for "Traditional Evernote appearance" or similar would be good....?

I don't suppose our comments are going to change the Lion colour scheme, but for what it's worth I like the grey. I don't like it when the colours of the software fight for attention with my content. With this interface, I see my notes more than the Evernote app.

I think the favourites bar has potential - being able to add notebooks, tags, saved searches &c would make it very useful.

The rate at which new features are being added is very impressive. I hope Evernote succeeds in being around for 100 years, because I'm becoming more and more dependent on it. … Well, maybe 50 years will be enough for me.

In completel opposition to the last post - I HATE the new interface. In fact I hate the whole Lion interface.

I went from monochrome monitors back in the 70s and have progressed all the way to the wonderful colour capabilities of my 27" iMac. So what do Apple do? They get rid of all the colour and make everything bland, grey, and anonymous.

And Evernote is following the same path. The character and style of Evernote - in fact the very essence of Evernote - was it's appearance and usefulness.

Now, this new beta is just another grey blob window among all the other grey blob windows.

I apologise for starting a different thread on the subject - I hadn't spotted that there was already a thread for this 3.0.0.1 beta version.

viewtopic.php?f=38&t=28108

So, Evernote team, please take my comments as constructive feedback on the v3.0.0 beta for Lion.

- bring back COLOUR - the more the merrier. Give it class. Make it stand out from all the other 'orrible Lion grey featureless icons etc.

- change the tiny usage pie chart back to a bar graph, and add a percentage usage if possible

- bring back the direct Email button - complete with that lovely distinctive little splash of yellow. One click to email. None of this grey, two-click stuff you have changed to.

Unless Apple have decreed that all apps should look the same and boring, then please go back to using colours and styles of your own.

Thanks for noting the feedback on the beta version :)

I definitely LOVE the new interface. Very Lion-like.

The Notebook list now takes less focus with the change of colors.

In general it runs absolutely stable on my MacBook 5,1 (having it run almost the whole day) without any major hiccups.

I also like the new Favorites bar (though it's referenced as "Search explanation bar" in View menu). The only thing I'm missing here is the possibility to drag Notebooks there (similar as in the new Apple Mail). This would allow me to hide the full Notebook list and still have the most important ones right up there.

Keep up the great work!

Not only does it still reference the search explanation bar, it toggles the search explanation bar as it always did - not the new favorites bar. It, the favorites bar, simply is not there.

Edit: I thought perhaps a screenshot would be useful:

Evernote.png

• Level 5*

Based on the comments from both Evernote and users, it seems like this is more like an "Alpha" version than a "Beta" version.

I normally update to the Beta versions as soon as they are released.

But I am very glad I did not in this case since it seems to be unusable in a number of cases and/or users.

It would be most helpful to properly classify any pre-release as Alpha or Beta so that we know what level of risk we are taking.

Thanks.

I was quite enjoying the favourites bar and the new look wasn't offensive at all.

However, I did find that 3.0.0 B1 was crashing on a regular basis on my MacBook running Lion to the point where it was pretty much unusable. I tried deleting the app and doing a full re-install but the issues persisted so, I have gone back to 2.3.0 from the App Store.

I was regularly experiencing beach balls and 60%+ CPU usage on the beta version when performing the following:

Merging notes

Click on the icon to manually sync

Changing the notebook on a notes within my Inbox

Various times when looking to click on options in the Favourites bar

• Level 5*

I bit the bullet and did a clean install of Lion over the weekend as my system was feeling increasingly sluggish. Has to be said that it was definitely worth the mind numbing boredom as everything is far snappier now.

One side effect was obviously having to install Evernote and download my complete database and doing so seems to have resolved the encrypt text issue that I and a few others were seeing.

viewtopic.php?f=38&t=27038&p=114376&hilit=encrypt+text#p114376

Archived