Size of notebooks

mbraeke1

Hello all,

Does anyone know whether it is possible to check the size of a notebook in EN ?

This could be handy while evaluating whether you want to make a notebook offline available on your mobile device, or when you decide to sync the content of an offline notebook book in EN for Windows/Mac to one that gets synced to EN servers.

I would expect this to be available when you right-click and go for properties, but it isn't available.

Maybe I'm looking in the wrong place...

Thanks,

Mario

AFAIK, there is no way in the Windows client. In the iPhone client, you can tell the notebook size in settings, offline notebooks. At least if you have a premium account. I don't know if they show up if you have a free account, since free accounts can't have offline notebooks.

• Level 5*

Check out the Evernote app for your mobile device. I wanted to make one of my several notebooks available offline and my Android app politely informed me of the size of the lump I was about to download. (3Gb)

I decided to go ahead anyway, and bought an SD card online to make up the difference.

You're right !

You can see the sice of the notebooks that can be synced offline on your mobile device.

However, the offline notebooks on my Windows machine are not known to the EN servers, so also not displayed on the iPhone, so not possible to see their size...

Maybe some background:

I had some articles I wanted to keep in electronic form when was doing some cleaning up. Using my Windows client, I would have gone over my monthly limit (I have a premium account) if I would have synced them all after scanning the paper docs.

Instead, I saved them in an offline notebook, and each month, I drag a chunk of them over to the online notebook while keeping an eye on my monthly usage.

The other day, I was wondering for how many months I still have to do this ;o) so a total size of this offline notebook would have come in handy to calculate.

I guess it would be nice feature to have this also available in the Windows client. Don't think it would be the hardest thing to implement.

Thanks,

Mario

You're right !

You can see the sice of the notebooks that can be synced offline on your mobile device.

However, the offline notebooks on my Windows machine are not known to the EN servers, so also not displayed on the iPhone, so not possible to see their size...

Maybe some background:

I had some articles I wanted to keep in electronic form when was doing some cleaning up. Using my Windows client, I would have gone over my monthly limit (I have a premium account) if I would have synced them all after scanning the paper docs.

Instead, I saved them in an offline notebook, and each month, I drag a chunk of them over to the online notebook while keeping an eye on my monthly usage.

The other day, I was wondering for how many months I still have to do this ;o) so a total size of this offline notebook would have come in handy to calculate.

I guess it would be nice feature to have this also available in the Windows client. Don't think it would be the hardest thing to implement.

Thanks,

Mario

On the Windows client, you're talking about LOCAL notebooks (which do not get sync'd to the EN servers). OFFLINE notebooks are notebooks that can get sync'd to a mobile device.

In the Windows client, you can see the size of each note. Like I said, AFAIK, there is no way to determine a notebook size from the Windows client.

I would also suggest you regularly backup your Windows database (search the board, if you need info on how to do that - I just posted info on it about 30 minutes ago in another thread), since you have local notebooks.

@BurgerNFries

That's what I'm saying: Checking size via the iPhone is OK, but only works for synced notebooks, not local ones.

As far as I can see, checking the size of a notebook (so total size of all notes in it) is not possible, whether it regards a local or a synced notebook.

@Owyn

Thanks - looking forward.

mbraeke1 I need the same info for the same reason. I'm gonna try the SQL access to gain the info. I'd much rather see it within EN. Should be easy for them to implement. The data is easily accessible.

• Level 5

Yeah, this seems like a useful thing to add to the Notebook Properties dialog - I'll mention it to some folks here. In the meantime (if your notebook isn't enormous), right-clicking on the notebook, exporting it to a .ENEX file, and looking at the size of the export file might give you a ballpark estimate.

• 2 years later...

I am not seeing notebook size displayed on my Evernote iPhone app (I am a Premium user). Could someone post a screenshot of where they are seeing notebook size displayed in the iPhone app? Attached is what I'm seeing.

post-53182-0-82165100-1404069324_thumb.p

I am not seeing notebook size displayed on my Evernote iPhone app (I am a Premium user). Could someone post a screenshot of where they are seeing notebook size displayed in the iPhone app? Attached is what I'm seeing.

This thread is nearly three years old & the iOS app updated many, many times. It appears the notebook size is no longer displayed as discussed in this old thread.

• Level 5*

An approximation is to export your notes by notebook from the windows client and check the sizes of those files.  Side benefit is a re-loadable data for local notebooks..

Archived