(Archived) Adding the clipper to Safari on Lion

Metrodon

Idea

68 replies to this idea

Agreed. Evernote has done 2 things wrong with this issue:

1. Not warning users that they wouldn't be ready with an extension. This would give users appropriate time to switch to a different browser (Chrome) or at least know that they would be without the extension for a while.

2. Not being ready with an extension. Last year, Apple said that Safari would stop supporting plug-ins, and Evernote apparently tried to call their bluff or ignore the developer notes all-together. Additionally, according to Apple, Safari extensions are quite similar to Chrome extensions, and only require minor coding changes.

Additionally, Evernote made the rookie PR mistake of blaming Apple for their mistakes. That doesn't own up to the fact that they've known about this issue for months and failed to do anything about it. That makes it seem as though Evernote doesn't care. At all. They have done this a few times, and I think Evernote should have a PR training class with their employees active in the forums.

Well, it hit me today with the "accidental" update to Safari 5.1 in Snow Leopard.

Let's face it: Whoever is responsible for maintaining the Safari clipper hasn't done his homework. I bet, Evernote wasn't aware of the problem, until they got the first complaint from a user. Really bad job. And I'm sure Phil isn't amused at all about these guys making him look like an idiot after having said all these suggestive words about user experience , confidence etc. ;-)

Hope Phil lays down the law to whom is to blame for this and pushes them to fix the clipper asap.

Btw. I downgraded to Safari 5.05 by installing the 5.05 installer package with Pacifist, see http://appldnld.apple.com.edgesuite.net ... eopard.dmg

Instructions see: http://appletoolbox.com/2010/06/downgra ... ari-4-0-5/

Worked flawless for me but do it at your own risk. And don't try this in Lion, you will ***** your system!

Pete

We all also took the decision to upgrade to Lion before confirming that Evernote was fully compatible and so took a risk.

But it is not a Lion issue. It is a Safari issue.

Noone from Evernote warned us in due time, even if they knew the forthcoming version of Safari would not support the old clipper and that a new solution was not in place. That is the real issue here.

Given the time Evernote has had to create an extension for Safari makes this particularly frustrating. I simply updated to Safari 5.1, not Lion, and Evernote has lost its ease of use for me.

Agile with 1Password was ready.

Can someone tell me how I can manually setup the "Save PDF to Evernote" option?

I´m using the German Version of Lion, so i´m not quite fond of the exact spelling, but i´ll try to explain anyway:

In the Safari Print Dialog click on the PDF Drop Down Field, then select "Edit Menu". Click on the Plus Sign and simply add the Evernote Application. Keep in mind that this is still a sub par solution until we get a new version of the clipper.

The bookmarklet is cumbersome. I would like to use the "Save PDF to Evernote" feature in the Safari print menu until the plugin is fixed.

However, it seems this is not available if you got Evernote though the app store, as I did.

Can someone tell me how I can manually setup the "Save PDF to Evernote" option?

So, I see from an email message from Evernote that they are working on an extension (rather than one of the newstyle plugins, which is wise, as extensions were not affected by the Safari upgrade), which will be ready in "the next few weeks."

So, patience! It is possible to make do with Save PDF to Evernote, and the bookmarklet script. Neither is perfect, but they are certainly only temporary. There's no need to stress out about a webclipper, of all things....

1Password was ready with an Extension to replace their plugin and they don't have $50 Million sitting in the bank.

By now Evernote should realize that Mac users are typically early adopters (this is now the Windows world where you wait until SP1 before a product is safe to use) also Mac users have very little tolerance for software that does not work well.

If you listen to Phil Libin's interview on TechCrunch TV he stated that he wants Evernote to have the best experience on all platforms. Is this the best experience ?

@kpedgecomb We've already discussed that possibility, and while it technically works, it's far from a good solution. The formatting isn't right, the file size is big, viewing on iPhones/mobile is difficult, among other issues.

Until the issue is properly addressed, for that we should probably just do that somewhat awkward Print: PDF: Save PDF to Evernote. That's at least, thankfully, still there, and does the job. The file will be bigger, but hopefully it's not something that's necessary very often.

I can see you're a fan of the Trunk! A different issue, altogether.... Evernote is, after all, a business, and these tend to be interested in making money. We shouldn't at all be surprised that they will be quite attentive to those aspects of the site involving revenue, and that those will not be broken.

time to deal with the most pressing issue: bug fixes, platform upgrades, server problems, and so on.

Yeah, really glad the "Trunk" is working great in Lion...

In the meantime, people can use the web clipper bookmarklet, the very same script designed for the mobile platform, that works well.

I agree with the above comment that the bookmarklet's formatting of web pages is atrocious. I want to clip pages as they appear, not with their formatting and appearance mangled beyond recognition.

I've been reading through Apple's plugin development documentation. The issue is not that plugins are no longer possible, but that the plugins must be coded according to the Netscape plugin model rather than the WebKit plugin model. The newer Netscape model permits the plugin to run in a separate process, a security enhancement.

Presumably, it would be a quick job to edit and recompile the Evernote plugin according to the Netscape plugin API. Or perhaps they'll just start from scratch with an Extension. Either way, it'll probably be quick.

Cut them some slack. We're dealing with a small company, still. Yes, they're solvent (comfortably so), but this doesn't mean that, as in any other high-profile projects, there is much more than time to deal with the most pressing issue: bug fixes, platform upgrades, server problems, and so on.

In the meantime, people can use the web clipper bookmarklet, the very same script designed for the mobile platform, that works well.

But I do miss the little elephant head!

• Level 5*

I am huge user of the Safari Clipper so this has a considerable affect on me.

However, there is a viable if slightly clunky alternative and there are other browser alternatives.

We all also took the decision to upgrade to Lion before confirming that Evernote was fully compatible and so took a risk. Now don't get me wrong, I think it is pretty bloody awful that they don't have a solution in place. Given the crappiness of this, I also think it's pretty bad that Evernote staff haven't been in here a little bit more to give some kind of explanation/time frame even if it is just 'soon',

But, we know that a solution will come, probably in the next few days and until then we do have alternatives available to us.

So, don't panic, don't throw your toys out the pram - no one died.

Interjecting snark doesn't add to the discussion, nor does it reflect well on Evernote's "Evangelist" program.

There isn't a program and my opinion is my own as it says in my sig.

Before you all throw your toys out the pram....

You know, I think the concerns expressed in this thread have been reasonable ones, and by and large very reasonably stated. Interjecting snark doesn't add to the discussion, nor does it reflect well on Evernote's "Evangelist" program.

I agree. And, given that others have referred to the web clipper, it doesn't add anything significant to the discussion. Nor does it address the point that Safari Extensions and the demise of plug-ins have been in the public arena for long enough for us to have a reasonable expectation of continuity of service.

Before you all throw your toys out the pram....

You know, I think the concerns expressed in this thread have been reasonable ones, and by and large very reasonably stated. Interjecting snark doesn't add to the discussion, nor does it reflect well on Evernote's "Evangelist" program.

Not wanting to take this topic too far off thread, but ... yeah, the current export functionality is a huge problem with Evernote. Sure, you can export your stuff out of Evernote very easily, but then what the heck do you do with it? Unless you're fairly technically proficient, you won't have a clue.

I used DevonThink Pro for quite a while, and it's a great program. I'd still be using Devon instead of EN if it offered EN's mobile access and cloud capabilities. Devon is making some initial steps in that direction, but they've got a long way to go.

yea, its been more than 3 or 4 weeks, try months..and no response as to what is going on or any plans at all of fixing this as they did with windows 7....I think the part that EN has not responded to anyone for months is what is really causing the issues here. On the other platforms, the upgrades were quick and informative. however, for MAC, one email saying it was not compatible with Lion, than Nothing.

I don't work for Evernote, but from my perspective, this is a relatively small blip on the radar for a company that is doing a nice job dealing with explosive growth in users while trying to serve users on a stunning number of platforms. Evernote isn't taking the easy way out - they're building slick native apps in all of the platforms they cover, attempting to take advantage of the strengths of those platforms. I've been very impressed with the way they're managed, and the way they manage growth. Having led large developer teams and developed cross-platform software architectures myself, it's amazing how well they've kept up overall.

You're not seeing those scalability issues that haunted Twitter, or helped to derail Myspace, or still afflict Tumblr. From a customer standpoint, our inconveniences have been relatively minor in supporting a product that provides truly unique functionality. Sure, you can try SpringPad, or Yojimbo, or a number of other products that sort-of do what Evernote does. EN's focus on making itself a platform and providing various ways to integrate (or to channel Ballmer "developers, developers, developers") make it far more useful than those products in my workflow, and I've tried 'em all.

So, if going three or four weeks without a native clipper makes you want to chuck the platform away, do it up. To me, it's a minor irritation that makes me use Chrome a bit more for a few weeks.

Well, I downloaded Lion when it first came out, I soon received an email that evernote was working on making evernote compatible with the new Lion IOS. looks like that is not happening.

Can anyone give me step by step directions on how to save my stuff from evernote to maybe my desk top, so at least I will have it there when I delete this useless paperweight of a program?

Thanks everyone.

PS, I agree with other blogger. Apple has taken the lead from EXXON is size/wealth. And, it is the fastest growing computer company in the world, There is a APPLE store not far from where I live and very close to where I work, it is always packed with people buying MacBooks, mac desk tops, iPhones, iPads and such. And Evernote only updates their program for Windows 7? They are truly stupid, with no business sense.

If I had known that Lion would make evernote useless I would 1) never upgraded to premium and 2) even downloaded the program in the first place.

Only I learned about the program from a ADD/ADHD web site who recommended it. I will be going back to the web site today and recommending folks to look elsewhere.

to Evernote, I have sent e mail questions about this before finding the blogs, NO RESPONSE, what so ever....Lousy customer service. And lousy business sense.

@kpedgecomb:

I've already been accused of being surprisingly mild mannered for a Premium user on this thread so you can be assured I'm not out to pick a fight. But I think you defer a tad much on giving Evernote the benefit of the doubt. Yes, we're all human, each faced with the vagaries of market pressures, career survival (the engineer tasked with web clipper plus a heaping plateful of other stuff while boss(es) scrutinize production levels), and, well, Apple being Apple. But the combination of the loss of a primary piece of functionality such as web clipper and the frankly offensive silence/absence of Evernote here or anywhere on their plans to make it right again only feeds the fire.

I've been willing to stay patient with the broken status because the dependencies of complex technology and finite resources of organizations like Evernote will inevitably lead to such outcomes. But it's the silence that is beginning to irk me: first, on what broke (other than the poor bookmarklet substitute quickly posted on their website even though the earlier Safari button is still boldly marketed on their website) and, second, regarding a thread like this that should generally be monitored if the ability to create/post to it is made available in the first place (finite resources notwithstanding!).

Again, not out to flame anyone or pick a fight. Life's too short for it. But the added workarounds I've struggled with as a result of this development make me wonder if my time is better spent taking a look at those alternatives that had seemed too similar to Evernote to seem worth my while -- that is, before a key function of Evernote for my purposes went and broke.

Marshall how much would you have bet, before the release of Safari 5.1, that Apple (proprietor of Webkit) would drop support for Webkit plugins? Of the three (Webkit plugins, Netscape plugins, and Safari Extensions) I would have expected Webkit would always be supported simply because it's Apple's, or to drop either plugins or extensions entirely. It's an easy mistake, and I wouldn't be surprised if someone else (say, maybe, perhaps, someone at Evernote) thought exactly the same thing. It's a mistake, yes, even partly an understandable one, but it's one that you can very likely count on not being repeated.

Evernote had months and months to prepare for the release of Lion. So, for a company as organized as Evernote, they should have had a Safari extension ready on time. All of the other critical apps I use were ready for Lion. There should not really be any delay between the release of Lion and a compatible version of Evernote. This generally happens from companies that try to service tooooo many operating systems. Bummer.

On the brighter side, for those that love Evernote on the Mac, the Chrome extension works very well. It does everything and more that the Safari plug-in did. The only feature it doesn't support is the full-page print to pdf, but you can do this by simply printing to Evernote from Chrome. Command+P -> PDF -> Save PDF to Evernote.

I like the cloud features of Evernote, but for those that are just realizing that Evernote's "export" feature just creates a mess of useless html files, I highly recommend DevonThink Pro. I don't want to be stuck wanting to get my stuff out of Evernote when they suddenly suck. DevonThink is sooo much better, but without the cloud features. I use Evernote for small things like directions, maps, phone number, quick lists etc... and it's great for getting things onto my iPhone or iPad quickly. But, for research, bookmarks, collecting PDF articles and anything I want to archive for later use, DevonThink Pro (or there are several others on the App Store that work well) works much better.

The note by Pete248 immediately above (using Pacifist to reinstall from a Safari 5.0.5 dmg) is the way to go for those who just can't live without the Evernote Webclipper. Someone I know just did it and it went very smoothly, and works as though the upgrade never happened, which is to say: perfectly.

What happened with Safari 5.1 is not that Apple eliminated all plugins (otherwise in Safari's Preferences: Security you would not have the option "Enable plug-ins" present). Apple has restricted the type of plugins compatible with Safari, by altering Safari so that it will only install a particular type of plugin. Formerly both Webkit plugins and Netscape plugins were permitted. Now only Netscape plugins are permitted. The major reason appears to be that Netscape plugins can be isolated to a separate process, whereas the Webkit ones cannot be. (The somewhat delicious irony is that Webkit is Apple's!) So that's the scoop on that.

Safari Extensions are a completely different thing. They weren't affected at all by the upgrade to Safari 5.1. But to write an extension means that Evernote will be starting from scratch, for extensions are very different than plugins. It's not even a week yet. My guess is that the webclipper is one pea on one programmer's heaping plate full of work, someone who's busy trying to implement RTF and stacks in iOS, and any number of other things that some person out here says they can't live without, in addition to working some (fraction of) time on the webclipper. All the work of such developers ends up being prioritized and scheduled in accordance (typically) with business models. It's not some free-for-all where some guy just works on what he wants to and then can turn around and work on something else, or he (heaven forfend) checks this very forum for the most bathetic messages of brokenness in order to schedule his work queue for the day.

And really, people, is a subpar webclipping experience really the kind of thing that we should find ourselves worked up over these days? Yes, fine, so Evernote slipped with this plugin thing. And so they'll remedy it, and it'll work like it did before and then everybody can live happily ever after. But we don't need the drama I think.

1 - Information about the bookmarklet:

http://www.evernote.com/about/download/web_clipper.php

Look at the very bottom of the page in the box that says 'Specifications'

2 - Safari Extension coming

We are working on a Safari Extension to replace the current Evernote plug-in.

I'll go ahead and say it. This has been the biggest vice for Evernote for several years. I haven't spent more time troubleshooting than I have with 1Password and Evernote conflicting. Furthermore, 1Password releases a new and improved extension the day before Lion and Evernote reverts back to the bookmarklet? For shame.

Does anybody at Evernote have an update on the Safari 5.1/Lion situation? Or have you guys stopped reading this thread (we haven't heard anything in a while)?

Agreed. While the bookmarklet is a temporary situation, on one site I just got a "null", and going to Save as PDF just saved it as a print-only (and not particularly pretty due to a lack of print.css).

@mymoon Wow, you're taking this very well for a Premium user (I am Premium too, and I'm pretty pissed haha).

Does anybody at Evernote have an update on the Safari 5.1/Lion situation? Or have you guys stopped reading this thread (we haven't heard anything in a while)?

I've got 5.1 on a MBA, which is too bad because it happens to be my 'go to' computer. But I left 5.0.5 on my three year old MBP just in case something like this would happen. Now, when I need to clip (via the "Add Page to Evernote as PDF") I have to fire up the ol' otherwise-little-used MBP.

Eagerly awaiting a return of the "Add Page to Evernote as PDF" clipping option for Safari 5.1/Lion. Thx from a Premium user.

With the release of Lion by Apple they took away the the 3rd party plugin feature for Safari. Our Safari web clipper is indeed a plugin for Safari so with this feature by Apple no longer available it means our web clipper is no longer available. The options we can offer is to use the bookmarklet or use a different browser. Sorry for the inconvenience but this is not something we took away from you, it is a feature Apple took out of Safari.

With all respect, Phil, you guys have known this was going to happen for months. :D

This is seriously lame, as far as I'm concerned:

* Evernote is the most obnoxiously-and-constantly-self-updating app I've ever used, ever, anywhere, on any platform. I have to put up with an update almost literally every time I launch Evernote. Despite all those updates, now it can't keep up with Safari?

* Safari 5, and the new Extensions platform, was released on June 7, 2010. So it has been over a year!!

* The Safari Developers Program was created at the same time, and a quick tour through that would have tipped Evernote off that the Plugins architecture was no longer going to be supported

* Since they've already built a Chrome extension and a Firefox extension, porting those to Safari should be pretty simple, at least according to the Safari Developer Program document found at '>http://developer.apple.com/library/safari/#documentation/UserExperience/Conceptual/SafariExtensionsConversionGuide/Chapters/Chrome.html#//apple_ref/doc/uid/TP40009993-CH2-SW1

Now that Evernote is Everywhere, the focus on the Mac platform as a whole seems to have been diminished.

How truly annoying. And, of course, there are still issues with my solution. For one, the PDF is way too large. And second, you have to manually insert the URL reference. Hope that Apple & Evernote can come up with a solution that matched - or surpasses - the previous plug-in - which truly is the reason that Evernote is such a great application.

While we wait for a Safari Extension, there is an alternative Evernote Clipper you can use: Safari's own printer icon. Click on that icon and on the menu box that comes up, click the PDF button. Scroll down and you'll see "Save PDF to Evernote" as a choice. Click on that and your whole webpage will appear in the Evernote application fully formatted - as opposed to the ugly way it appears if you use the Clip to Evernote bookmarklet. Hope that helps. For now at least

• Level 5*
1 - Information about the bookmarklet:

http://www.evernote.com/about/download/web_clipper.php

Look at the very bottom of the page in the box that says 'Specifications'

2 - Safari Extension coming

We are working on a Safari Extension to replace the current Evernote plug-in.

So the bookmarklet literally only captures a bookmark and no content?

@bencox76 I'm really glad someone pointed all of that out. I was thinking it but I didn't want to post without details.

I love Evernote (I'm sure you do too), but they definitely screwed up on this one.

It probably has something to do with their attitudes toward future (but unreleased) OS's. They don't start working on it until the Gold version is released (which, IMO, is a bad practice, since new OS's add a lot of features and to just begin working on it a few weeks before the release doesn't give enough time to add functionality).

http://forum.evernote.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?f=38&t=23031#p99303

That would also explain why they don't have fullscreen support enabled, why the Release Notes window changes font when looking up a work in the dictionary (double-tap three fingers), etc.

I'm not a developer, but I would say that Evernote should definitely consider working on pre-release OS's before the "Gold" version (especially Mac, given that it's just a few weeks before the public release. That way, Evernote gets to have a great blog post while everyone is still Lion-crazy, and they make it look like they are using your money wisely (I am a Premium member, and I'm unimpressed that Evernote isn't fully supporting Lion yet).

Sorry for getting off-subject from the Safari plugin, but I had to voice my opinion somewhere.

With the release of Lion by Apple they took away the the 3rd party plugin feature for Safari. Our Safari web clipper is indeed a plugin for Safari so with this feature by Apple no longer available it means our web clipper is no longer available. The options we can offer is to use the bookmarklet or use a different browser. Sorry for the inconvenience but this is not something we took away from you, it is a feature Apple took out of Safari.

So this means Safari will never work the same way again with Evernote?

• Level 5*

OK, so they had me uninstall, reboot and reinstall which didn't resolve this.

Then I got this and I know it's all my own fault for upgrading before they said Lion was supported.

Hi Jamie,

Thank you for contacting us.

We are sorry for the inconvenience that you are experiencing with the Safari Clipper on the Mac Lion platform. We currently do not support this feature and suggest using a different browser if you would like to use the clipping feature.

Thank you,

Adam

Evernote support

Dear Evernote!

I really love Evernote… and especially on the Mac, both because the app seems better and the Safari extension was WAY WAY superior.

The comment from one of your support people above about it beings Apple who took it away from us shows a total lack of respect and disregard for your customers. I respect your choice to wait for a Gold Master, even though the majority of application providers have all had Lion (including Safari) updates available before yesterday.

What has really upset me is not that it is not available today… but the attitude shown on this forum. I am glad to see subsequent postings stating you are working on an extension, but the first comment still reveals a culture inside Evernote that doesn't seem particularly customer focussed.

I read yesterday that while Mac OS X might still only have around 10% of the PC market share (15% in the US), it is growing at 14% while PC Windows platforms are only growing at 2-4%. Oh, and in the US, Apple business sales increased at 65% and government sales at a staggering 500%+

So, while we are still in a minority, clearly this is an important platform.

So, your choice to delay development and work in what seems to me to be the usual reactive mode doesn't seem to be a smart business choice at all.

I look forward to the new extension. I hope (nay, I expect) that it will replicate the current functionality and Safari snippets will go directly into the local database.

Regards, Nic.

P.S. Safari 5.1 is available on the Snow Leopard platform as well… so this is NOT just a LION issue!

Wow -- the level of arrogance and total lack of customer support that is demonstrated in the handling of this issue is ridiculous.

You could have hired an intern and paid them nothing to convert this -- you've had a YEAR to do this.

Maybe you guys should get some project management software?

Thanks for ignoring us -- I am canceling my paid account if this isn't fixed in a week.

I will have to agree with all of this, especially since I'm still using Snow Leopard but after the Safari 5.1 update today I no longer have the Evernote clipper in Safari's toolbar. The print/PDF solution is unacceptable. I'm looking elsewhere as well.

A workaround for the loss of the elephant icon in Safari 5.1 running under Snow Leopard: go to the Web CLipper page in Evernote (http://www.evernote.com/about/download/web_clipper.php) and drag the "Drag this to your link bar" icon recommended for Lion users to Safari's Bookmarks Bar.

Well, so someone will need to write the Evernote extension for Safari as opposed to its plugin. How hard could that be? Although its disappointing that this has happened, it probably won't be long before there's an extension that will work just as the old plugin did. For the time being, the bookmarklet is good enough. Although I miss seeing the little elephant's head! Make sure to bring it it back!

I will have to agree with all of this, especially since I'm still using Snow Leopard but after the Safari 5.1 update today I no longer have the Evernote clipper in Safari's toolbar. The print/PDF solution is unacceptable. I'm looking elsewhere as well.

@fletchni

That was a very generous post, but the truth is that the success of iPhone has made Apple one of the two most important players in the mobile computing space today. That alone merits serious attention to all upgrades to the Apple OS for companies, like Evernote, that sell based on ubiquitous cross platform access to data. Restoring full functionality post release is just poor customer service.

There's no excuse for this.

What I'd really like to know from Evernote is how the delay in change from plugin to extension can be defended as requiring release of the latest Safari version? Evernote is one of the most popular apps offered through Apple. I'm sure one call months ago and Evernote would have learned what it needed to do to be ready.

So the recent blog suggested 9million subscribers, at guessing 30% premium uptake, so circa $100m USD income and you can't offer a suitable replacement Safari Clipper that works under Lion, that's been coming for months? Not impressed.

This is old ground, but believe it or not there are those of us who like to make and read our notes while not connected to the web. Working while flying for example. I positively detest the way the other clippers work and safari clipper was a safe refuge, until now. Let's hope it's not long before this is resolved.

I don't often visit these forums until things go wrong and the previous comment about the lack of info on the safari clipper page on the Evernote web site is a fundamental error in the clarity that is supposed to be designed into a web page.

What has also been of interest is comments about Evernote not being a customer focused business. That re-enforces my previous experiences where email and tweets have been completely ignored. Such a pity. After listening to many Evernote podcasts, being impressed with the products and services and generally thinking Evernote was different, I'm now not so sure. To much sushi and saki I think while sat on bulging wallets. :(

She's a sad tomato...I wanted to add to my two cents that I'm sad we don't have a better solution yet available to replace the Clipper for the new Safari. I recommend that the web clipper webpage include a bit more information for Lion and new version Safari users because it is NOT clear that the Clipper isn't available for you - I had to google and find this thread to understand.

Anyway, keep up the good work, Evernote folks - please make the new extension awesome!

Yes, I've just updated to Safari 5.1 on Snow Leopard, losing ClickToFlash and the Evernote clipper in the process. I found ClickToFlash in the Extensions Gallery, and installed it, but there was no sign of an extension for Evernote.

For now, I can tolerate using this sequence of actions: select content in page, Command-C, Control-Command-V (i.e. copy to clipboard and paste to Evernote). This does create a note with the correct URL and title, as well as the chosen content.

That's pretty lame. As others have commented, you have know for months, or should have, that this was coming--and you weren't concerned enough to address it. :(

• Level 5*
This makes Evernote all but useless for me. The guys could have switch from plugin to extension at any time in the last year. Taken with the fact that the iOS bookmarklet solution is a major PiTA, I now have a multi-platform note-colelcting app that doesn't work well on any of the platforms I use.

I think I need to find an alternative. $5 a month isn't a lot, but even at that rate, this is no longer good value.

Not to mention the *very* annoying high rate of updates

I agree that this issue is irritating - I can't agree that they keep providing new functionality in updates as being a bad thing. After all, you don't have to update if you don't want to.

This makes Evernote all but useless for me. The guys could have switch from plugin to extension at any time in the last year. Taken with the fact that the iOS bookmarklet solution is a major PiTA, I now have a multi-platform note-colelcting app that doesn't work well on any of the platforms I use.

I think I need to find an alternative. $5 a month isn't a lot, but even at that rate, this is no longer good value.

Not to mention the *very* annoying high rate of updates

@colinbrown

Unfortunately, that is only true if you use Evernote downloaded from the website. If you have the version from the Mac App Store, Apple has banned that functionality.

It does work with the App Store Version, but you have to manually add the program "Evernote" to the list. It´s still a weak workaround though, as this only saves a printer friendly Version of the page, whereas I want to have the full displayed content.

for the record, i routinely use the paste to evernote feature (as opposed to clip to evernote), and the paste feature has also stopped working properly. now, instead of the data being automatically pasted, i have to manually switch to evernote (from the app in which i was working). only then does the data properly show up in evernote.

i hope the upcoming safari extension addresses each of these related commands, as this has crippled me quite substantially.

Archived