ripr

windows Insert Date/Time Stamp into Note Body

Is there an equivalent to the Mac "TextExpander" for Evernote Windows? I would like to be able to insert simply a date/time stamp (based on my CPU clock) into a note at the point the cursor is resting. My note-making habit includes a logging type of entry based on Note Title and Tag(s); the last change date for the note as generated by the Evernote program just expands the time window (Note started date - last change date) of note activity. I would like the option to trap temporally (NOT "temporarily"!) the specific moment I added a comment.

TIA

Thanks for SHIFT-ALT-D I needed it!

Ctrl+; will also do this.

User Forum(s) Rock!

SHIFT-ALT-D works perfectly!

Thanks All,

Rip

• Like 1

Didn't even know I wanted this. Thanks.

Now, is there a way to just do the date? I don't need the time and it would be a cleaner entry without it.

There is no way in the Windows Evernote client to insert just the date, as far as I know. You might be able to work around this by using a third-party program like AutoHotKey, though I've not tested this.

Hello. I am making an effort to transition from TreeDB (which I've used for years) to Evernote.

The SHIFT-ALT-D or CTRL+ does nothing within an active note. What am I missing?  (LOL)

Please advise.

Thanks much in advance.

Hello. I am making an effort to transition from TreeDB (which I've used for years) to Evernote.

The SHIFT-ALT-D or CTRL+ does nothing within an active note. What am I missing?  (LOL)

Please advise.

Thanks much in advance.

In the Windows version, the Date keystoke combo is the CTRL key (control) and the ; key (semicolon)

Result looks like this: 2013-08-06 12:32 PM

Shift  Alt D pressed together also works, but is more difficult to remember.

• Like 2

Please advise.

Thanks much in advance.

In the Windows version, the Date keystoke combo is the CTRL key (control) and the ; key (semicolon)

Result looks like this: 2013-08-06 12:32 PM

Shift  Alt D pressed together also works but is more difficult to remember.

Appreciate!

Windows version:  The Date keystoke combo is the CTRL key (control) and the ; key (semicolon) and Shift ALT D - both worked without a hitch.

Thank you for a prompt and clear explanation.  :)

Alan.

• Like 1

A number of mentions have been made in this thread about using AutoHotKey to insert the date so I thought I'd share the following as this is quite simple to do. After downloading/installing AHK from their website just create a date.ahk file containing the following and run it:

In this example (which will work in any app), typing dts will insert the date and time in the format shown (you can obviously amend the trigger and date/time format to anything you like)

;add DateTime stamp
::dts::
    EnvAdd, TodayDateTime, +0, days
    FormatTime, TodayDateTime,%TodayDateTime%, yyyy-MM-dd HH:mm:ss
    SendInput %TodayDateTime%
return

You could also use AHK to insert a date in n days time, to trigger a reminder using something like this (in this case by typing d14):

; date in 14 days time
::d14::
    EnvAdd, CurrentDateTime14, +14, days
    FormatTime, CurrentDateTime14,%CurrentDateTime14%, yyyy-MM-dd
    SendInput %CurrentDateTime14%
return

Hope this helps

Cheers,

Michael

• Like 4

Also for any one who is interested heer are my time and date entries in my Autohotkey setup. You'll see I have a set for sortable sierial number type time and date entries (20130813 || 201308131321) which I use all the time for file versions and sierial numbers etc. I also have versions which are more human friendly (13:21, Tue, 13 Aug 13 || Tue, 13 Aug 13). Should be able to make whatever you want from the code below.

:*:;;today::  ; This hotstring replaces ";;today" with the current date and time via the commands below.
FormatTime, CurrentDateTime,, yyyMMdd  ; It will look like 20091013
SendInput %CurrentDateTime%
return

:*:;;now::  ; This hotstring replaces ";;now" with the current date and time via the commands below.
FormatTime, CurrentDateTime,, yyyMMddHHmm  ; It will look like 200910131057
return

:*:;;time::  ; This hotstring replaces ";;time" with the current time and date via the commands below.
FormatTime, CurrentDateTime,, HH:mm, ddd, d MMM yy  ; It will look like 13:17, Tue, 13 Aug 13
return

:*:;;date::  ; This hotstring replaces ";;Date" with the current date via the commands below.
FormatTime, CurrentDateTime,, ddd, d MMM yy  ; It will look like Mon, 26 Apr 10
return

• Like 1

Hello unitseven:

Appreciate your post #14 above.

Would you please explain how to implement (please be detailed).

Thanks much in advance,

Alan

add this 2 line to top of your ahk file

; ----- this will force the hotkey effected when u active EN window only

; ----- because sometimes u may active other window (like notepad ?) over the EN window

; ----- ENMainFrame is the EN main window, ENSingleNoteView is the window when u Ctrl+enter on a note (full screen)

SetTitleMatchMode Regex
#IfWinActive ahk_class ENMainFrame|ENSingleNoteView

your

hotkey ........here

return

• Like 1

In addition to AutoHotKey - which I have tried and found a little more complicated than I wanted, though I'm sure it works well if you take the time to learn it - there is a program for Windows called PhraseExpress, which I use extensively with Evernote. It allows me to create all sorts of text entry shortcuts, including a fully format-able #datetime macro.

There is a free version for personal use. It is fully functional, but it has built-in features designed to detect if you are using it in a business environment and which has a tendency to nag a bit if you are. The paid version is pretty pricey in my opinion - $49+ last I checked, for use on a single computer. (I would find the price less objectionable if it was single-user instead of single-computer and so allowed me to install on both my laptop and desktop.) I purchased the paid version for use at work,  but I find the free version to be of tremendous value at home.

As an example, I use the keystroke sequence ";tdo" which enters a dated title for a current To Do list in Evernote such as:

2013-11-09 Current To Do List

Might be worth checking out.

I've heard good things about PhraseExpress as well. Glad it's working well for you. Thanks.

I have a windows 7 machine and have been able to click "Ctr" + " ; " keys to get a data and time stamp in my evernotes.  Hope this helps

I have a windows 7 machine and have been able to click "Ctr" + " ; " keys to get a data and time stamp in my evernotes.  Hope this helps

Yes, that's recommended a couple of times above. The elaborations are to get different variations (e.g. just the date without the time portion) into an Evernote note, via 3rd-party applications.

Keyboards configured for other languages than English, may have other combinations. CTRL + ; doesn't work with my keyboard (Norwegian), but CTR + ˜ works. Windows 7.

KM

none of the above works in a note on the WEB version. 

anyone have a fix for date timestamp for that?