Insert Date/Time Stamp into Note Body

Is there an equivalent to the Mac "TextExpander" for Evernote Windows? I would like to be able to insert simply a date/time stamp (based on my CPU clock) into a note at the point the cursor is resting. My note-making habit includes a logging type of entry based on Note Title and Tag(s); the last change date for the note as generated by the Evernote program just expands the time window (Note started date - last change date) of note activity. I would like the option to trap temporally (NOT "temporarily"!) the specific moment I added a comment.

TIA

• Level 5*

There is no way in the Windows Evernote client to insert just the date, as far as I know. You might be able to work around this by using a third-party program like AutoHotKey, though I've not tested this.

• 2 years later...

Hello. I am making an effort to transition from TreeDB (which I've used for years) to Evernote.

The SHIFT-ALT-D or CTRL+ does nothing within an active note. What am I missing?  (LOL)

Please advise.

Thanks much in advance.

• Level 5

Hello. I am making an effort to transition from TreeDB (which I've used for years) to Evernote.

The SHIFT-ALT-D or CTRL+ does nothing within an active note. What am I missing?  (LOL)

Please advise.

Thanks much in advance.

In the Windows version, the Date keystoke combo is the CTRL key (control) and the ; key (semicolon)

Result looks like this: 2013-08-06 12:32 PM

Shift  Alt D pressed together also works, but is more difficult to remember.

Please advise.

Thanks much in advance.

In the Windows version, the Date keystoke combo is the CTRL key (control) and the ; key (semicolon)

Result looks like this: 2013-08-06 12:32 PM

Shift  Alt D pressed together also works but is more difficult to remember.

Appreciate!

Windows version:  The Date keystoke combo is the CTRL key (control) and the ; key (semicolon) and Shift ALT D - both worked without a hitch.

Thank you for a prompt and clear explanation.  :)

Alan.

A number of mentions have been made in this thread about using AutoHotKey to insert the date so I thought I'd share the following as this is quite simple to do. After downloading/installing AHK from their website just create a date.ahk file containing the following and run it:

In this example (which will work in any app), typing dts will insert the date and time in the format shown (you can obviously amend the trigger and date/time format to anything you like)

;add DateTime stamp
::dts::
    EnvAdd, TodayDateTime, +0, days
    FormatTime, TodayDateTime,%TodayDateTime%, yyyy-MM-dd HH:mm:ss
    SendInput %TodayDateTime%
return

You could also use AHK to insert a date in n days time, to trigger a reminder using something like this (in this case by typing d14):

; date in 14 days time
::d14::
    EnvAdd, CurrentDateTime14, +14, days
    FormatTime, CurrentDateTime14,%CurrentDateTime14%, yyyy-MM-dd
    SendInput %CurrentDateTime14%
return

Hope this helps

Cheers,

Michael

Also for any one who is interested heer are my time and date entries in my Autohotkey setup. You'll see I have a set for sortable sierial number type time and date entries (20130813 || 201308131321) which I use all the time for file versions and sierial numbers etc. I also have versions which are more human friendly (13:21, Tue, 13 Aug 13 || Tue, 13 Aug 13). Should be able to make whatever you want from the code below.

:*:;;today::  ; This hotstring replaces ";;today" with the current date and time via the commands below.
FormatTime, CurrentDateTime,, yyyMMdd  ; It will look like 20091013
SendInput %CurrentDateTime%
return

:*:;;now::  ; This hotstring replaces ";;now" with the current date and time via the commands below.
FormatTime, CurrentDateTime,, yyyMMddHHmm  ; It will look like 200910131057
return

:*:;;time::  ; This hotstring replaces ";;time" with the current time and date via the commands below.
FormatTime, CurrentDateTime,, HH:mm, ddd, d MMM yy  ; It will look like 13:17, Tue, 13 Aug 13
return

:*:;;date::  ; This hotstring replaces ";;Date" with the current date via the commands below.
FormatTime, CurrentDateTime,, ddd, d MMM yy  ; It will look like Mon, 26 Apr 10
return

• 3 weeks later...

add this 2 line to top of your ahk file

; ----- this will force the hotkey effected when u active EN window only

; ----- because sometimes u may active other window (like notepad ?) over the EN window

; ----- ENMainFrame is the EN main window, ENSingleNoteView is the window when u Ctrl+enter on a note (full screen)

SetTitleMatchMode Regex
#IfWinActive ahk_class ENMainFrame|ENSingleNoteView

your

hotkey ........here

return

In addition to AutoHotKey - which I have tried and found a little more complicated than I wanted, though I'm sure it works well if you take the time to learn it - there is a program for Windows called PhraseExpress, which I use extensively with Evernote. It allows me to create all sorts of text entry shortcuts, including a fully format-able #datetime macro.

There is a free version for personal use. It is fully functional, but it has built-in features designed to detect if you are using it in a business environment and which has a tendency to nag a bit if you are. The paid version is pretty pricey in my opinion - $49+ last I checked, for use on a single computer. (I would find the price less objectionable if it was single-user instead of single-computer and so allowed me to install on both my laptop and desktop.) I purchased the paid version for use at work,  but I find the free version to be of tremendous value at home.

As an example, I use the keystroke sequence ";tdo" which enters a dated title for a current To Do list in Evernote such as:

2013-11-09 Current To Do List

Might be worth checking out.

• 1 month later...
  • Level 5*

I have a windows 7 machine and have been able to click "Ctr" + " ; " keys to get a data and time stamp in my evernotes.  Hope this helps

Yes, that's recommended a couple of times above. The elaborations are to get different variations (e.g. just the date without the time portion) into an Evernote note, via 3rd-party applications.
  • 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 6 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Archived