Font size increases when text copied to another application

I have Evernote 4.4.2 with Win XP.

I copy Evernote text at Arial 9.

When I paste to M$ Word, the font becomes Arial 13.5.

If I copy Word text at Arial 9, and paste to Evernote, the font remains at Arial 9.

As a general rule, it does not matter what the target application is, the font size always increases.

Am I doing something wrong?

• 3 months later...
  • Level 5

This is a known issue and also happens when you send notes to different printers. The font size increases (if you know this, you can adjust the font size in your EN note to smaller size, prior to printing). EN developers know this and are working on a permanent solution.

Wern

This is really irritating as I like to work on documents in EN. When I finally need to publish them to customers (email, word, pdf, etc), now I need to go back and reformat everything.

Paying customer for 18mos.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...

It seems this is still an issue, almost a year after it was posted here;

Copying a font with size of 10 results in a fontsize of 13.5 or 14 after paste into Word or Email;

Also when printing a note, the font size on paper is much larger than the setting in the note

I am a real Evernote fan, and Premium user. I use Evernote all the time, but this is a really irritating bug

• Level 5

This is an example of text I copied directly from my Evernote note. Tahoma font size 10

This is an example of text I copied directly from my Evernote note. Tahoma font size 12

This is an example of text I copied directly from my Evernote note. Tahoma font size 14

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

• Font size 10 is fine in Evernote, put painfully small when copied to the forum.

• Font size 10 and 12 seem to be identical in this forum.

• Font size 14 is too large for this forum.

So my choices are:

Paste info too small to read or

Paste info too big or

Use a 3rd party intermediary, such as Notepad, to re-copy and re-paste

• 1 year later...

2013-06-06 - paying customer, still an issue.

This needs to be raised up the priority list. It means i don't / cant use EN as my scratch pad to past into other applications. Im back to using OneNote...

Come on guys, please.

I found some time ago that in Office packages such as Outlook and Word, all you do is right click and look at the options for paste. If you choose the first option it will be the larger text as mentioned by OP and others. If you choose subsequent options it will be the same font and size already in use in the document.

Best regards

Chris

• 3 months later...

Paying customer

Chris,

That's a nice tip, but I consider it a work around.  I don't have to do that from any other application.  Is the evernote team working to provide the Ctrl+C / Ctrl+P functionality so that copying and pasting from Evernote to other applications is seemless?  Copy / paste also has trouble with bulleted lists adding additional blank bullets.

I agree with rikarr that this needs to be raised as a priority.  One Note continues to improve its mobile product line....  they are catching up...

+1 from me

I agree that pasting to Office with option mentioned by C6REW is only a workaround, even if it works. But works only in Office, sometimes we paste to non-Office programs too :) 

Painless coping and pasting is a basic functionality, and it should be fixed many years ago. I suppose that because of Evernote's muliplatform capabilities it may be more complcated issue than it seems. But, hey, this post is from July 2011 and it's 2013 now and we still have to deal with that very irritating problem.

Not to mention about problems with other text formatting messing up while pasting, like bullets, pararaph formatting...

• Level 5*

One comment: this isn't an official support forum -- you may be better off opening a support request for this.

You can perhaps do some investigation into this using a clipboard utility like ClipSpy or InsideClipboard, so that you can see exactly what Evernote is putting on the clipboard. If you can provide specific examples, that may give you better traction with support.

Jeff, I'll follow your suggestions and raise a ticket in some spare time, I'll see where it will get me to :-) Although I haven't thought about it as a bug specific to me, rather a general one. But, you're right that by rising a ticket we'll all have better chances to get this fixed.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I dont know why they are not fixing this. The same problem occures when you just print a note. This is the main bug which prevent's me from really using Evernote.

I like Evernote because i want every text, note in one place. Now i am again in need of Microsoft Word for printing.

We have customers that are not using the computer all the time. So sometimes you have to print out some notes quickly and bring the sheet to a meeting. Currently i have to copy the text to Word, reformat everything again and then print it out.

• 1 month later...

I am new at this, but very quickly noticed a problem when printing from Evernote.  The font size as printed from Evernote is much larger than the same font size printed from MS Word.  I like the Evernote concept but if this is not going to be fixed then I will have to try something else.

After reading thru this post it doesn't appear that anyone knows whether or not Evernote is even working on this problem?  Anybody know how we find out?

• Level 5*

I am new at this, but very quickly noticed a problem when printing from Evernote.  The font size as printed from Evernote is much larger than the same font size printed from MS Word.  I like the Evernote concept but if this is not going to be fixed then I will have to try something else.

After reading thru this post it doesn't appear that anyone knows whether or not Evernote is even working on this problem?  Anybody know how we find out?

The folks (with one exception) here are reporting a problem with cut/pasted text, not with printing.

Aside from that, the Evernote policy is that they usually don't comment on features / bugs that they are working on. You can ask (here or via a support request) but no guarantees.

My tests with a clipboard spy program show that Evernote is producing HTML fragments on the clipboard that may or may not have integral font sizes, for example, I just clipped a 10-point Arial section from an Evernote note, and it produced a style that contained "font-size:medium"). I don't know that they have control over the styles that their control produces when you cut/copy from it; I got similar results just copying a section from a Google search result page. On the other hand, I am far from an expert at this stuff; I'm just reporting what I observed.

• 5 months later...
  • Level 5*

The best work around I found:

http://www.stevemiller.net/puretext/

Use windows+v to paste in plain text.  It's sad that Evernote has been unable to implement this kind of function as it is relatively simple to do.

Thanks Steve Miller.

This is a different problem than reported by the original poster.

Even so, Evernote for Windows (and I believe for mac as well) has had the ability to paste in plain text for quit awhile. Select rich text from some application (web, etc.). Go to Evernote, and use Ctrl+Shift+V to paste it in as unformatted text. And it does it without modifying the contents of your clipboard as a side-effect. Now if you're talking about being able to copy formatted text to the clipboard as plain text, then maybe puretext would be able to help there...

Use windows+v to paste in plain text.  It's sad that Evernote has been unable to implement this kind of function as it is relatively simple to do.

Thanks Steve Miller.

Even so, Evernote for Windows (and I believe for mac as well) has had the ability to paste in plain text for quit awhile. Select rich text from some application (web, etc.). Go to Evernote, and use Ctrl+Shift+V to paste it in as unformatted text. And it does it without modifying the contents of your clipboard as a side-effect. Now if you're talking about being able to copy formatted text to the clipboard as plain text, then maybe puretext would be able to help there...

I think what you mean is that Evernote has the ability to post into the evernote application with plain text by stripping format using Ctrl+Shift+V, this does not include the ability to post from Evernote to another application and remove formating, which was part of what the original post was asking.  The orignal poster wanted to copy text with a Font of Arial and text size of 9 and have those traits maintained when pasted into another application. 

While my soltion does not necessarily maintain his Font size of Arial 9 it does allow you to strip that formating and 'most' applications will format plain text to the default of the said application.  So in the posters instance he would just want to make sure his 'other application' was set to Arial 9 before he pasted.

What can Evernote do about this?  One possible solution is to create a shortcut or configuration option that allows the stripping of html formating before putting the data into the clip board.

My job requires a lot of copy/paste.  I was happy to find this little "puretext" gem becuase it allowed me to finally put away the notepad++, well at least for taking notes. 

• Level 5*

Thanks Steve Miller.

I think what you mean is that Evernote has the ability to post into the evernote application with plain text by stripping format using Ctrl+Shift+V, this does not include the ability to post from Evernote to another application and remove formating, which was part of what the original post was asking.  The orignal poster wanted to copy text with a Font of Arial and text size of 9 and have those traits maintained when pasted into another application.

I did say that; you're right about the original poster though -- my bad. Sorry about that. Without looking at the copied clipboard content(ClipSpy or other clipboard utility), it's hard to tell exactly what's going on.

While my soltion does not necessarily maintain his Font size of Arial 9 it does allow you to strip that formating and 'most' applications will format plain text to the default of the said application.  So in the posters instance he would just want to make sure his 'other application' was set to Arial 9 before he pasted.

What can Evernote do about this?  One possible solution is to create a shortcut or configuration option that allows the stripping of html formating before putting the data into the clip board.

That would amount to the same thing as the thing as puretext, right? In which case, you still need to fiddle with the other application 9as in making sure it's set to the format that you want). This doesn't really solve the OP's problem. But it would probably be a useful bit of functionality.

My job requires a lot of copy/paste.  I was happy to find this little "puretext" gem becuase it allowed me to finally put away the notepad++, well at least for taking notes.

I use notepad++, but just for occasional cleanup purposes (and for less-occasional general text editing, which I do a fair amount of: programmer). If it works for you, that's great, and worth sharing. So thanks for that.

• 3 years later...

Archived