(Archived) EN is a very unreliable storage for data

Mata Hari

Idea

It happens now and then that I lose data. EN has no warning that data have been replaced or deleted

And that happens now and then, I have no clue when and how it happens, cannot reproduce this kind of annoyance.

EN is unusually treacherous: It happens that all notes are there, you think nothing changed. But a closer look will reveal the shocking fact: many have changed content, they are just copies from other notes and you get a complete mix-up of your notes !! this is something I have never seen with other programs.

Is there anyone who has the same experience ?

27 replies to this idea

OK, let's put in my 2 cts.

I'm no native english speaker, so excuse me for possible mastikes.

I've been using evernote over 3 years now, about six months as a premium user. What I've seen so far is evernote gradually going from good over great to excellent. remember EN is still officially in Beta, and with every update features and functionalities are added, very often prompted by our (constructive) feedback.

I know what minkowski is talking about, that not so tangible feeling that your notes have subtly changed. But when this happens to me, it's indeed not so easy to put your finger on the booboo, and it's even harder to describe the problem to a helpdesk.

I've put in quite a few feature requests as well, so I hope I'm positively contributing to the advancement of our beloved evernote. If you're displeased with evernote, either get over it or go to Springpad, good luck getting support from them.

A vous tous, bonne soir, Gutenabend, nog een gezellige avond and good evening. Ciao

• Level 5

Hmmm.... I would think you would be happy to provide case numbers in order to substantiate your claims of Evernote failing to provide good support. If for no other reason than to help them figure out why your support tickets were never resolved.

I can only surmise the reason you won't post case numbers is because you never opened any support tickets.

Yawn.

Having pondered what the problem might be, I came to conclusion that:

It is of little use to export EN as HTML or ENEX format. I need a backup that show the full hierarchy.

But EN does not have that function.

Are you going to supply the case numbers from support with regard to losing data?
I have abandoned this case, since I cant reproduce it.

Hmmm.... I would think you would be happy to provide case numbers in order to substantiate your claims of Evernote failing to provide good support. If for no other reason than to help them figure out why your support tickets were never resolved.

I can only surmise the reason you won't post case numbers is because you never opened any support tickets.

I have abandoned this case, since I cant reproduce it.

I am exporting each weak all my notes in HTML format, it is a kind of backup

But it does not preserve the hierarchy, it is just a list of files. That is the best I can do.

Sorry, yes.

No, problem. But for future reference, if anyone wishing to upgrade from the Windows 2.x client to the current Windows client reads this thread, they need to migrate from 2.x to 3.1 first, since the database format has been changed & since 2.x wasn't a cloud product.

Minkowski,

oh, if you are on 2.2.3 you are WAY behind. I'd suggest you

-copy your current .exb file as a backup

-download the latest version here

http://www.evernote.com/about/download/

-install a new and clean EN

-sync your notes down from the EN server (or copy your backup .exb file to the database directory)

After this you should be all set and sailing smoothly.

Wern

This is the Mac section. I believe you are talking about the Windows client?

• Level 5

Minkowski,

oh, if you are on 2.2.3 you are WAY behind. I'd suggest you

-copy your current .exb file as a backup

-download the latest version here

http://www.evernote.com/about/download/

-install a new and clean EN

-sync your notes down from the EN server (or copy your backup .exb file to the database directory)

After this you should be all set and sailing smoothly.

Wern

• Level 5

I've been using evernote over 3 years now, about six months as a premium user. What I've seen so far is evernote gradually going from good over great to excellent. remember EN is still officially in Beta, and with every update features and functionalities are added, very often prompted by our (constructive) feedback.

I agree that Evernote has improved significantly over the past few years. Even though the number of Evernote users has increased to over 10 million, the number of important improvement requests on this forum seem to have decreased. Evernote is doing a good job at addressing the customer feedback.

To clarify, since you've been using it over 3 years now, you know EN itself is not a beta product. However, they do have many beta clients currently rolled out. By definition, using a beta app means there is a certain amount of risk you are exposing yourself to. It's always a good idea to have a backup of your database, when using a beta version.

As Dave Engberg (CTO of Evernote) has repeatedly stated, constructive criticism is always welcomed. However, if you review minkowski's posts & attitude, it seems to me that he's not interested in getting EN working for him or to better the product. I personally think he's a troll, so I rarely read or respond to his posts. But that's just my opinion.

• Level 5*

Perhaps Minkowski can list the case numbers so that it will be easier to investigate?

(I'm guessing that he/she will say that he/she doesn't have time to do this, continue to complain but also continue to use Evernote....)

I don't have the details on his correspondence with customer support, so I was just trying to outline some things to contact customer support with.

• Level 5

I would strongly suggest gathering as many details as possible and then contacting support. Evernote employees try to monitor the forums as much as possible, but the best path for this type of issue is still via customer support.

But, if minkowski has already contacted support 20+ times in one month, shouldn't all this information already have been requested and in Evernote's possession?

Data loss is always a top priority, I'm sorry you've been having issues. Here are a few things that will really help us diagnose your problem.

• 1. What were you doing when the issue occurred? I know you mentioned that you can't reproduce the issue, but if you could try to take note when happens again that would be useful. If we can't reproduce the issue at Evernote, we have a much harder time fixing the issue.
    2. Provide us with exactly what was lost. I'm unclear on what "a complete mix-up of your notes" looks like. Perhaps something like a before and after screenshot or description would help.
    3. Where are you using Evernote? On your Android phone or iPhone? Or maybe you're using us on the web or have you downloaded Evernote on your PC or Mac?
    4. Please don't call us treacherous

I would strongly suggest gathering as many details as possible and then contacting support. Evernote employees try to monitor the forums as much as possible, but the best path for this type of issue is still via customer support. This also helps protect your privacy if you don't want to share a screenshot of your account with the world.

minkowski,

You need to be a little more specific. Simply stating "It happens now and then that I lose data," tells us nothing. What data have you lost? A single note? Mulitple notes? Entire notebooks? Under what condition do you lose data? During a sync? During desktop usage? During web usage? Can you recreate the problem?

Effective troubleshooting can be tedious and requires discipline. If you can't describe and define it, you can't fix it.

Thus spoke BurgersNFries

It's obvious from all of your posts that your objective is not to get EN working for you but rather to regularly ***** about the app & company.

Do you like to talk none-sense ? I am using EN every day. My purpose is to get you folks support me in a feedback request for better EN upgrades. But you seem all very happy with EN. I have listed many of the limitations with EN and that I expected to get laud for. One of these criticisms has been implemented in v 2.2.1: a back button. It is even more advanced than I thought. When I first mentioned this some time ago here on this Forum, people like BurgersNFries all were yelling and barking at me. Yeah... Just as you do now. What does it tell about you folks ? you better not hear what I think.

Thus spoke Cebarker

''EN is a very unreliable storage for data" (might want to work on your english there)

Cebarker, you criticize my English but do not tell what is incorrect ?

Everyone just settle down a tad. Let the guy complain a little. Most of us have done it on this site or others. No, this forum is not a place to sit and whine all day long, true. But attacking the persons English is not cool. EN is used by more than perfect English speakers. Like me more instance.

But still, I've had to contact customer support a few times and got good responses for all of em. Maybe it's the way the OP is asking for the help. Too aggressive perhaps.

Anyway. Sorry about the data loss. That is never a good thing.

My experience with Evernote has been amazing. I've never lost any data. Whenever I've had issues or questions about the product, I've gotten speedy, well informed, comprehensible answers.

Baselessly claiming "EN is a very unreliable storage for data" (might want to work on your english there) is not going to help anyone. If you find problems, look for solutions. Don't be hasty to trash someone or something simply because it hasn't been totally conformed to how you think Evernote should operate. No one is perfect. Nothing is perfect. But we must strive for perfection knowing we will never achieve it, and I believe the people running Evernote understand this very well.

If all your going to do on this forum is rant about the flaws of Evernote with the intention of making it look bad and not finding solutions, then I would suggest you find a better use for your time.

I have contacted Support many times , they never solved a problem, not once!

I have contacted them at least 20 times during a moth or so. It is always a misunderstanding. Or they pretend not to understand. In any case, it is useless to contact them. So I don't care about the EN support.

I've had very good results contacting support. It's obvious from all of your posts that your objective is not to get EN working for you but rather to regularly ***** about the app & company.

I have contacted Support many times , they never solved a problem, not once!

I have contacted them at least 20 times during a moth or so. It is always a misunderstanding. Or they pretend not to understand. In any case, it is useless to contact them. So I don't care about the EN support.

Archived