(Archived) HP TouchPad support

• Level 5*
Seeing as it is now a dead product, I don't see much value in Evernote building an app...

You seem to be enjoying this.

Not at all, but given that on the day that HP announced that it's a dead product/system, there are still people posting in this thread (and others) hoping for a client. Given the relatively small dev team at Evernote and my own selfish wishes from a platform point of view, I see little value in developing (and then supporting) a client for a device that hardly sold and isn't going to sell anymore.

I'm guessing that someone from Evernote will be in here sooner rather than later to say what they plan to do.

The problem, though, with your logic here, is that before, nobody was sure if there would be any sales. NOW, HP will have sold like a quarter million of them, and those people are ALL going to be THIRSTY AS HELL for apps to do things, and it's a DEV's market today.

The problem, though, with your logic here, is that before, nobody was sure if there would be any sales. NOW, HP will have sold like a quarter million of them, and those people are ALL going to be THIRSTY AS HELL for apps to do things, and it's a DEV's market today.

Yeah, they were flying off the shelves!

• Level 5*

1/4m is a tiny market and seeing that it can't grow and that many people will wipe WebOS off and replace it with Android....well, what's the American saying? "Do the math"....

1/4m is a tiny market and seeing that it can't grow and that many people will wipe WebOS off and replace it with Android....well, what's the American saying? "Do the math"....

Indeed.

250,000 potential users. Pretty sure not every single one of them will try Evernote.

Of the ones who do, not all of them will become regular users.

Of the ones who become regular users, how many will become paying customers?

Evernote currently has 11 million users. (Last time I looked, which was a few weeks ago.) IIRC, it took only a month to jump from 10 million to 11 million. So as Metrodon said, do the math. (shrug)

I'd say your best bet would be from a third party developer.

WebOS is interesting, and HP's announcement even moreso.

They came out and said "Look, we believe in this product SO MUCH that we want to dedicate all our design resources to it. We're wasting our time by making hardware."

They took a look at Google, who doesn't actually make android devices (yes, I know they make like one or two, but it's really just a blip in the Android radar), they just make Android. They took a look at Microsoft, who don't make hardware. They're thinking long term, they're thinking WebOS could be the core of things, and they really don't want to worry about getting it ingratiated into the hardware.

And they're doing something beautiful. They're making an OS that's essentially compatible with the same architecture that Android OS can be. Think about what would have been if Apple's OS had been designed to install onto the same internal architecture as a PC, but that they still came out with the cool external designs. You'd have more freedom for users.

Whether their experiment will work, I don't know. They've been around for a long, long time, and have some really smart people on their team. I don't think they took the decision to drop their hardware division lightly. I think we can expect some neat things from them.

I'm an additional requester for Evernote for the TouchPad. I've actually know several people that use Evernote that bought the TouchPad during the recent TouchPad "fire sale".

I will even pay for it. I saved $400 on my TouchPad. I have plenty of money to buy apps now. :D

Another option would be to make an HTML5 app. So that we can still use them when we're offline. Similar to what Kobo and Kindle apps are doing for the iPads. Since Apple stopped the in-app purchases.

Sources

http://news.cnet.com/8301-1023_3-200834 ... fer-apple/

http://news.cnet.com/8301-1023_3-200905 ... ffs-apple/

• Level 5*

WebOS is interesting, and HP's announcement even moreso.

They came out and said "Look, we believe in this product SO MUCH that we want to dedicate all our design resources to it. We're wasting our time by making hardware."

They took a look at Google, who doesn't actually make android devices (yes, I know they make like one or two, but it's really just a blip in the Android radar), they just make Android. They took a look at Microsoft, who don't make hardware. They're thinking long term, they're thinking WebOS could be the core of things, and they really don't want to worry about getting it ingratiated into the hardware.

And they're doing something beautiful. They're making an OS that's essentially compatible with the same architecture that Android OS can be. Think about what would have been if Apple's OS had been designed to install onto the same internal architecture as a PC, but that they still came out with the cool external designs. You'd have more freedom for users.

Whether their experiment will work, I don't know. They've been around for a long, long time, and have some really smart people on their team. I don't think they took the decision to drop their hardware division lightly. I think we can expect some neat things from them.

No one wants 'freedom for users", everyone wants to tie users in as tightly as they possibly can. Apple do this by producing highly desirable kit, but probably more importantly by providing content and lots of it - apps, music, tv, movies. Microsoft do it on the corporate desktop by providing a standard OS and Productivity suite along with some very very enterprise friendly licensing agreements, Amazon do it with the Kindle and their vast bookstore. Google have a huge install base on Android, but are they making much money from it? Not a great deal I wouldn't have thought, so they buy Moto and what's the betting they fork android and start to do deals with content suppliers.

HP and RIM both had great opportunities, but they behaved too much like the traditional companies that they are and took too long to get to market. Then even worse, they released half baked kit with little or no content. They neither have the guts or the cash to 'do a microsoft' and wait for the 3rd or 4th iteration of a platform to be successful and so they fail.

Pretty soon, all the nerds who have rushed out to buy their $100 Touchpads today will be running Android and the platform will be deader than it was yesterday.

HP hired an Enterprise software CEO, I don't think you have to be a rocket scientist to see which direction he will favour moving forward.

I would very much like to see an Evernote client for the Touchpad. I have recently discovered Evernote, and after only a week of using it, I'm seriously considering becoming a paying user. I think a Touchpad version would definitely tip the scales.

So, for what it is worth, I throw my vote in for releasing a Touchpad version.

Here's to hoping....

I'll chime in on that Touchpad fullscreen request. I first started playing with it when I was on the iPhone, I liked the idea, but I realized that it was not something I could work with as easily in such a small interface. I was glad to find it in the app list, but seeing it in the handheld webOS interface on my Touchpad was extremely disappointing (I failed to look for the "For Touchpad" note on the app).

So yes, please bring it on!

Seeing as it is now a dead product, I don't see much value in Evernote building an app...

HP killed their production of the hardware. They never said webOS was dead and I'd be surprised if they just walked away from such a big investment. I also believe that there is enough of a base of HP Touchpad owners with Evernote accounts to warrant a "TouchPad" version of the client. BTW - I am a paid account holder who actively uses Evernote and has been wanting a good mobility client since I went to a paid account. First I was in Windows mobile 6.5 which had a mediocre client and now I am on the Touchpad.

And before anyone says "buy an iPad," I borrowed an iPad from my company's testing pool and I didn't really care for the way the OS handled. That said, the apps were indeed spectacular. My reason for buying a TouchPad (which I am certain will be the case for many others) was to see how a tablet would fit into my life. At $99, it was easy to justify rather than buy one and try to make it fit in the short window of a return period. I could take my time with it and really see how it worked. As it is, the tablet has proven to be a suitable replacement to my laptop as a couch buddy. I'm sure that at some point, if HP does indeed walk away from webOS and app development fizzles, that I would be willing to buy an Android tablet but at least for now, if the momentum behind webOS continues and HP does keep it going, I see nothing lacking in the webOS design that would cause me to buy a different tablet. So, I'd like to throw in my vote for a dedicated Touchpad version of Evernote despite those here who seem keen on talking our requests down. Heck, perhaps Evernote on the TouchPad would be another positive point for HP keeping things going.

Pretty soon, all the nerds who have rushed out to buy their $100 Touchpads today will be running Android and the platform will be deader than it was yesterday.

I've seen Android "retrofits" and those projects always leave a lot to be desired. There is ALWAYS some piece unfinished, some hardware component left unusable, some code left buggy. I didn't buy a TouchPad to spend my days trying to make it work which is essentially where all the Android retrofits end up if they don't go totally defunct because "the hardware is obsolete" and there is now better stuff out there. Most Android retrofits are flash in the pan operations that lose steam quickly.

As it is, my Touchpad does everything I need it to with one glaring exception: run a dedicated client of my favorite note app ;-)

• Level 5*

If Evernote didn't look at WebOS / Touchpad with a careful eye, I'd be surprised. Seems to me to a situation where wait-and-see would be the best strategy; If some other hardware vendor picks up the WebOS flag and waves it vigorously, then sure, go for it. But in the mean time, you put your efforts where you can see actual growth possibilities.

I would be another interested to see where this goes - as a 'nerd' who bought the Touchpad at £89 I intend to keep WebOS on it as long as I can, I find the OS is pleasant to use (I have an Android phone so am familiar with that OS too) and it wouldn't surprise me that a number of 'nerds' feel the same (or in fact are just looking for a decent tablet for cheapest cost).

Yes please develop evernote app for touchpad. I have something downloaded that is the size of a mobile phone in the middle of my touchpad screen, and it NEVER SYNCS. It continually loads....no notes ever come onto it from my other evernote platforms.

Can you help?

What about writing our own app?

I haven't looked into it fully quite yet, but (for those of your more knowledgeable than I) could you write an HTML5/Javascript based app? Specifically an app that is compiled into a native app using something like phonegap. I'll take a look at the dev APIs and possible languages when I have time, but that could solve all sorts of problems since it could be cleanly ported to just about any device.

For those out there who want to take an initiative:

Evernote API: https://www.evernote.com/about/developer/api/

Phonegap: http://www.phonegap.com/

+1 for TouchPad using WebOS.

As a paying customer who uses other versions of Evernote (Windows for my PC, Android for my phone), I need a TouchPad version with full screen capacity.

The current WebOS version is pathetically small on the big screen like the TouchPad. While the port to TouchPad should be a little effort, it will gain potentially 100K users.

+1 for touchpad version; I'm using simple note atm because the evernote client on the TP is just so bad. When a TP version is released (with offline support), I'm switching to evernote (I like it's note books and tags system better) on both my TP and iPhone.

I know not everyone is a developer, but if there's enough people that really want this - why not just "crowdsource" it? Evernote has an open API, after all.

It just seems like Evernote's time would be better spent actually working on something that has the potential for growth - not something that's a limited market. So, my vote is to have them fix the Web UI issues, definitely, but if people want a native app, I tihnk we need to work on it ourselves.

The closest thing we've seen to an official announcement, to my knowledge, is a 2 second mention on the last podcast, where they mentioned there was a TouchPad app that was nearly complete, but now is kaput. It's about 51:30 into the podcast.

I registered for the forums just so I could request that Evernote be released for the HP Touchpad. Yes, it was killed off by HP, but bear in mind that there are about 500,000 HP Touchpad owners, and many of those likely use Evernote. At the very least you have spent a significant amount of time developing a client for the Touchpad, it would be a shame to let it die. You could even release it with the caveat that it will NOT be supported.

Puhleeeeeeeze, finish and release the client. I am dying for Evernote on my Touchpad.

From my knowledge of this project, as they have mentioned on the podcast that it is not completed, HP TouchPad product is not actually being developed in-house - I believe it had been commissioned by HP through one of their partners (like the HTC Flyer App).

The project we are in control of is Evernote Web, however. And we'll definitely make that experience better for you guys on the Touchpad.

From my knowledge of this project, as they have mentioned on the podcast that it is not completed, HP TouchPad product is not actually being developed in-house - I believe it had been commissioned by HP through one of their partners (like the HTC Flyer App).

The project we are in control of is Evernote Web, however. And we'll definitely make that experience better for you guys on the Touchpad.

That is highly disappointing! The more as the web interface on the TP is a pure nuisance, the thumbnails are not shown and only a fraction of the files (in my case like about 300 of more than 3000 files show up.

Please rethink the TP-issue. WebOS with the touchpad has gained a significant market share and WebOS is not dead (yet). Others achieve to port their app to WebOS, as well ...

Thx in advance from a frustrated EN+TP-user, EvB.

• Level 5*

Please rethink the TP-issue. WebOS with the touchpad has gained a significant market share and WebOS is not dead (yet). Others achieve to port their app to WebOS, as well ...

It doesn't have significant market share - it has less than half the number of devices that Apple pre-sold for the 4S in 24 hours.

It doesn't seem that people are fighting each other to own WebOS either.

The more as the web interface on the TP is a pure nuisance, the thumbnails are not shown and only a fraction of the files (in my case like about 300 of more than 3000 files show up.

That would be one of the ways we're attempting to make the experience better on Evernote Web for the Touchpad.

Hey Heather

Great to hear from the Evernote Web team. A question for you - are you able to use offline storage with the Evernote web interface (I guess through HTML5?). My single biggest beef with the web version isn't the interface but it's performance on TouchPad - it's very slow. I would've thought that using local storage would speed this up?

Keep up the good work

C

Hey Heather

Great to hear from the Evernote Web team. A question for you - are you able to use offline storage with the Evernote web interface (I guess through HTML5?). My single biggest beef with the web version isn't the interface but it's performance on TouchPad - it's very slow. I would've thought that using local storage would speed this up?

Keep up the good work

C

Can you use EN on the TP web browser? I cannot, I am stuck with the WebOS 2.0 low density Palm Pre client. In the web browser, the main window with the list of notes does not show, even after the note count had be re-indexed. More, I cannot change from snippet to list view. Do you have - even if slow - the full web view?

EvB

A full-fledged, full screen version for TouchPad would clearly be the best thing, but short run ... as in immediately ... fixing a couple of things would be a big help. One of us has mostly PDFs in the notes which have resulted from scans. They can't be opened from EverNote on the TouchPad and while it acts like it is opening them on the web there is nothing there when the reader opens. This is not a problem of the browser since I can e-mail PDFs to a gmail account and open them in the browser just fine.

It doesn't have significant market share - it has less than half the number of devices that Apple pre-sold for the 4S in 24 hours.

It doesn't seem that people are fighting each other to own WebOS either.

Does this mean there will be no TP enabled local client? Like many people, this is preventing me from purchasing a premium account.

If you feel there is significant market share for it, there is nothing stopping any of you from designing a client on our API and charging for the sale of it, like some of our trunk applications do.

We've already said that we're not developing one.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Level 5*

The Kindle fire runs Android, from what I've read no one is interested in buying Web OS from HP and HP care so little about it that they gave away the devices that they had built at a loss.

Heather has made it pretty clear that Evernote aren't going to build an app -

I'm thinking your vision has got stuck on the crappy Web OS interface...

The Touchpad is a dead device, it makes no financial sense to expend time and resources to develop anything for it or webOS until someone else takes up the banner and starts making new devices that use it (and as previously stated, there seems to be no sign that this is going to happen).

I suspect that Evernote would get far more new premium subscribers by developing a native Linux client than developing for a platform that now has a stagnant user base with no avenues for growth.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

evernote please release the version for Touchpad. Many many Touchpad users will be very appreciative of it.

If you feel there is significant market share for it, there is nothing stopping any of you from designing a client on our API and charging for the sale of it, like some of our trunk applications do.

We've already said that we're not developing one.

Have been using evernote for over a year and have been telling everyone I know how great it is. Recently purchased 2 HP touchpads. Downloaded the evernote app via the HP app store. I take it is not meant for the TouchPad. Have been searching for an app then found a comment from an evernote employee indicating we free to make our own app. Just canceled Evernote Premium Subscription.

• Level 5*

Hey, I just bought a refurbed Commodore Amiga and was shocked to find that there was no Evernote client for it. What's up with that? Oh, and about that BeOS support. Guys, it time to get off you lazy butts and deliver.

FWIW. My son bought a TouchPad during the firesale and installed Android Gingerbread on it.

The process was easy for him, but he is well above normal in technical competence. His personal experience is it takes him about 15 minutes to install Android on a prepared WebOS system. He also estimates it is about a 2 hour job (for him) to prepare the system. Straightforward but you need to be able to read and follow the instructions. Also need to be comfortable with working with command prompts.

e.g. http://www.howtogeek...ur-hp-touchpad/

As a favour to me he installed Evernote on his TouchPad from the Android Market. The process was painless and Evernote for Android worked without a glitch as a tablet app on the ToucPad. Created a new note, verified it on the web, etc.

YEs! About time!

Now maybe EN can JUST update the app only... you know... a little more functionality... no rebuild necessary!!!! YAY!

Do the EN employees think this may happen? OR would be willing to pass the software along to another developer?! If they will not support it?!

Now maybe EN can JUST update the app only... you know... a little more functionality... no rebuild necessary!!!! YAY!

Do the EN employees think this may happen? OR would be willing to pass the software along to another developer?! If they will not support it?!

We've been pretty clear that it's not happening up to this point. This is a patch using our Palm Pre app, created by someone else, so we won't be updating the app, or supporting, or anything like that. Have at it (at your own risk). :)

If the above conversation seems a little empty, I've removed some content linking back to the patch. We unfortunately can't officially endorse this with a post (any post would be considered an implicit endorsement), so I've pulled down and deleted the comment. Thanks!

If the above conversation seems a little empty, I've removed some content linking back to the patch. We unfortunately can't officially endorse this with a post (any post would be considered an implicit endorsement), so I've pulled down and deleted the comment. Thanks!

Even if that post were made by someone not affiliated with EN? I mean, we (not-affiliated-with-EN folks) can post links to other apps & such, right? Seems like there should be some way this link could be posted without implying that EN endorses it???

Worst case scenario is someone (I'm game) post that if you want the link to this patch to PM me...???

Archived