xaa84

REQUEST: Random display of notes

Idea

Hello Evernote team,

It would be nice to have a feature that would simply randomly display one of the archived notes from my folders. Refresh could be daily or hourly etc, and the display could be in the left column for example …

I’ve found that I’ve often had “strokes of insights” by stumbling upon old (sometimes unrelated) notes in Evernote while looking for other notes. I think this would help users by stimulating creativity and idea generation. It would actually “bring life” to the hundreds of notes I have … but never really use.

Thanks,

Xavier

49 replies to this idea

Xavier,

I know what you mean. On my Mac, I set my random image screensaver directory to my Evernote database directory so whenever my screensaver comes on I see random notes floating by. There's probably a way to hook something like this up on Windows as well.

Hello Phil,

Thanks for the suggestion. Couldn't get anything to work on windows though.

The screensaver can only display pictures.

Xavier

Hi

I use Evernote to record all sorts of stuff, including ideas I've had and interesting things I've read.

I used to use a local copy of Excel for this, for which I had created a random note generator.

I have found such a random turnover of notes boosts my creativity because it increases the probability of "ideas having *****" and multiplying.

So, can I have a random note generator on both platforms I use - Windows & iPod - please? Or indeed on all - to benefit everyone.

Thanks a log.

Bob

PS the catchphrase of ideas having ***** comes from Matt Ridley's stimulating book "The Radical Optimist" >>>> READ IT!

I have no idea what the use of a random note generator would be, but can't you just use your existing Excel spreadsheet as before, and save/export your results to an Evernote import folder?

Hello Jefito

In answer to your questions:

Could I just carry on using Excel? - I suppose I could - but things work most simply if you're not forever copying data around.

The use of a random generator? - to boost my/ your/ everybody's creativity! - just every now and then the generator would deliver two consecutive random notes (say two ideas, or an idea and a fact) that lead the viewer (me/ you/ anybody) to a combined idea which is more powerful than the two alone.

Try it!

Bob

No thanks -- my brain has random fluctuations enough. :)

[i am guessing that this would not be high on Evernote's priority list for features to implement, but good luck]

[i am guessing that this would not be high on Evernote's priority list for features to implement, but good luck]

I'm with Jeff on this. I use EN as my second brain (occasionally my first brain!) to remember & retrieve info. I tend to figure if I forgot about it & never saw it again, then it wasn't worth remembering. :)

BTW, that's the way I shop too. If I'm unsure, I walk away. If I forget about it, I apparently didn't like it all that much. :D

There is some merit to the idea. The concept is that you store random ideas so you do not clullter your brain. If you know the idea will come back to you, either scheduled or at random, then you are able to let the idea/s go for now while you work on the immediate problem/project at hand. Then through a periodic review process you can get back to the idea/s when you can do something on it or just put it off till you are ready.

There is some merit to the idea. The concept is that you store random ideas so you do not clullter your brain. If you know the idea will come back to you, either scheduled or at random, then you are able to let the idea/s go for now while you work on the immediate problem/project at hand. Then through a periodic review process you can get back to the idea/s when you can do something on it or just put it off till you are ready.

You could use tags. Tag all "random thoughts" and "up for review". As you read one, remove the tag "up for review". After you've blown through them all, you can find all notes tagged "random thoughts" & reapply the "up for review" tag.

I would like to second the request for a random feature.

In one of my notebooks I collect quotes from books/poems/articles, whatever. So far there's about 500 and growing. It would be great to view them at random, say if I wanted to read a different one each day.

Or, as another example, one of the notebooks might be for recipes and one wasn't sure what to cook that evening, a random feature might help in choosing!

Anyway, one can certainly find uses for it.

Until then, if there's a way to do this with the current API, I would really appreciate an example! Thanks.

I would like to triple this request. It would be nice to have a feature where a random note could come up so that if you had a lot of notes; you could jog your memory for notes taken long ago...

This is a work around, but here is what I do when I want to choose a random evernote. At the bottom right of the 'snippets' I am viewing I see a green box telling me I am viewing '1 -6 of 1000' for example. Go to random.org. In the random number generator on the right, put in your total number of evernotes as the max. Click generate. Take the number it gives you, go back to evernote and scroll down to that note. Ta da!

Don't know if you are using a Mac, but here is an applescript that will bring up a random quote:

tell application "Evernote"

set quoteCount to count of (find notes "tag:quote")

set randomQuote to random number from 1 to quoteCount

set myQuote to item randomQuote of (find notes "tag:quote")

open note window with myQuote

end tell

It will need a tag named quote to work. Or you can change the applescript for a different tag, notebook, or anything you can enter into a search field in evernote.

Anyone find a good solution yet? Spent the last half-hour searching for a way to display random notes (mostly quotes) on my iPhone, with no luck :(

Anyone find a good solution yet? Spent the last half-hour searching for a way to display random notes (mostly quotes) on my iPhone, with no luck :(

i like the idea. i don't have any interest in using it myself, though :)

how about a search for different words every day? or, different letters? "a*" today and "b*" tomorrow would bring up random notes.

I just stumbled on this thread now, hopefully it's not too late. I've been looking for something exactly like what BollenB describes, and finally got around to writing an applescript app for it.

When you run it, it'll ask you for how many notes to pull (default is 2). Hit ok, and it will pull random notes from every note in Evernote and open them in new windows. It's crude, but achieves the random note mixing effect.

Unfortunately it only works for Mac desktop version - not iPhone compatible.

Here's a link (haven't figured out how to add to My Media yet):

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/24403803/Evernote-MetaGame.zip

Hope that helps!

• Like 1

Nice! And for non-Mac users, I'm actually working myself now on a web-based solution to this problem (figured it'd be a good project to teach myself Ruby with :P ) and hope to have something basic available soon -- I'll keep you guys updated.

• Like 1

I just stumbled on this thread now, hopefully it's not too late. I've been looking for something exactly like what BollenB describes, and finally got around to writing an applescript app for it.

When you run it, it'll ask you for how many notes to pull (default is 2). Hit ok, and it will pull random notes from every note in Evernote and open them in new windows. It's crude, but achieves the random note mixing effect.

Unfortunately it only works for Mac desktop version - not iPhone compatible.

Here's a link (haven't figured out how to add to My Media yet):

http://dl.dropbox.co...te-MetaGame.zip

Hope that helps!

Awesomebot, you are AWESOME! Thanks! :)

For anyone else who is coming upon this and wants it limited to one specific Notebook like me.

1. Right click on the Evernote-MetaGame app

2. Click Show Package Contents

3. Click Contents->Resources->Scripts and open main.scpt

4. Delete line 18 and 19 and put this there:

set randomNotebook1 to notebook "INSPIRATION"

Where INSPIRATION is the name of the notebook you want notes to be pulled from.

Again, Awesomebot is awesome.

Thanks! :)

Edit: Just realized too, it could be modified pretty easily so you enter the name of the notebook you want to get a random note from. I don't have this need, but if you do, I can modify it and upload it.

I know this is an old topic, but I just noticed there's an app for this.

Rediscover Evernote EverShaker

By hiranodept

http://itunes.apple....d500619130?mt=8

Looks supercute.

Thanks for finding that Heather. Very cool. Here is a link to a video.

http://www.hirano-dept.com/apps/evershaker/index.html

The developer is based in Fukushima prefecture (Japan) and their blog (Japanese) is here.

http://www.hirano-dept.com/blog/

Thank you ever so much for the mac script and more recently for the EverShaker app - I've just been using it this am to look at all those posts tagged "Ideas".

Thanks again

Bob

• Like 2

Is there a Windows equivalent to EverShaker? I am also VERY keen to have a gadget on my desktop which randomly displays notes from a given notebook. If not could some talented reader please write me one?

Hello All,

Are there still any interest in having tool for random notes
displaying in Windows? I'd like to write one and would be grateful for
any comments, ideas, suggestions. What would you like to see there?

Thanks.

Hello vkjrsp

I'm very happy with the Evershaker app for iphone - so that would be a good model - and just one more thing: I'd like boolean logic on the tags eg "ideas AND neuroscience"

I hope that helps

Bob

Thanks Bob. Would you use it on Windows? Windows 8 or 7 ? I'm thinking about Windows 8. It can display random notes in tiles even when the program closed.

This is how I see it:

In a software you create topic and assign the bunch of your tags for it. Couple examples:

- Topic: "Random quotes". Tags: "quote, inspiration, aphorism".

- Topic: "Math exam". Tags: "math, exam preparation, graduation"

- Topic: "Bored". Tags: "to_read_later, article, fun, to_watch_later"

Afters such setup you will get three buttons in a software: "Random quotes", "Math exam" and "Bored". After pressing any you will be shown the random article for tags you selected for this topic.

Thanks vkjrsp for showing some interest in this. I am definitely still interested. Currently my computers are all running Windows 7. As far as I am concerned it could be as simple as randomly displaying all the notes in a particular notebook for a user defined length of time (eg 20 s). I want to use it to display passages I have highlighted in ebooks I have read on my kindle.

I'm all in support for random tools, vkjrsp. I am mainly on mac though.

I have been using Awesomebot's Meta Game but I had a question.

Is there any way for AppleScript to access "All Notes"?

This is the line of code I'm working with:

set theNotebook to text returned of (display dialog "Notebook Name:" default answer "______________")

Is there any variable that would access All Notes as if it was a notebook? Is there another way to do this?

Unfortunately I'm not a mac user so can't help you with your question :(

For development I'm using tools that are cross-platform so hope that it would be possible to run my randomizer on mac also.

• Like 1

Unfortunately I wasn't able to develop this application for Windows 8, because Evernote API doesn't work with metro application. Sad but true.

That is sad. How about developing it for Windows 7, is that workable? Or would there be the same issue?

I would like Evernote to email me every once in a while, totally at random, and tell me I am awesome.  Please expedite this important feature forthwith.

Hi, a friend and I are making a little app to display random notes from Evernote. Our original matter was to display a random note from our Kindle clippings. You know, when you read on your Kindle (the actual device, the iPhone app, the Mac app, or on the web reader) you can take highlights and notes. So, instead of reading all these clippings at once, we wanted to display just one random highlight from time to time.

Evernote is useful for that. We just needed a good parser for the Kindle clipping file. We wrote the solution on a little tumblr page here  http://randomkindlenotes.tumblr.com/

What really matter is the script. If you don't mind about Kindle highlights, and you have a notebook full of quotes, of notes on multiple notebooks tagged with "quote" you can modify the script for your preferences. I'd like to thank  Awesomebot for his original script. Our script is based on tag search, if you need to pick notes from notebooks use Awesomebot's script.

In the little tutorial on tumblr we use Hazel to trigger the random note. You don't necessary need it, you can trigger it with the default Apple's Calendar app. Also, you can just use the script as an app, save it on your desktop and run it when you want it to show a random note.

My friend is working on a mail based app. Instead of seeing the note on your screen you can have it on your email. Everyday a random note in your inbox. That will be ready in few days, we hope for tomorrow. 

You don't even need AppleScript if that concern you. You can see Evernote API and use whatever language you prefer. You just need to know where to pick up the notes from, using a tag based search, or a given notebook (like  Awesomebot did), and choose randomly from there.

Beware of stacks, Evernote API don't bother with stacks, they say in the future it will be fixed but they don't say when exactly.

I'm still disconcerted how Evernote can lack such a naive feature like displaying a random note. I am a heavy supporter of random stimulation as a way to help you generate creative ideas.

Edit: if you want to receive a random note in your email inbox, you can check my friend's solution here http://www.feelmaking.it/2014/01/receive-a-random-kindle-highlight-from-your-books-every-morning-in-your-inbox/

On the off-chance that this might be helpful to somebody, I adapted SpiralOcean's applescript to just open a random note from all the notes I had, without limiting it to a tag or notebook. Here's the code:

set noteCount to count of (find notes "")

set randomNote to random number from 1 to noteCount

set myNote to item randomNote of (find notes "")

open note window with myNote

end tell

Unfortunately, I couldn't figure out how to make the script activate the window; so if you have another program active, the note window pops under, which is a bit irritating when opening the script from Alfred. If anyone can figure out how to fix this, I'd be very grateful.

On the off-chance that this might be helpful to somebody, I adapted SpiralOcean's applescript to just open a random note from all the notes I had, without limiting it to a tag or notebook. Here's the code:

set myWindow to open note window with myNote

end tell

Unfortunately, I couldn't figure out how to make the script activate the window; so if you have another program active, the note window pops under, which is a bit irritating when opening the script from Alfred. If anyone can figure out how to fix this, I'd be very grateful.

Did you try adding activate as the last line of your script?

set myWindow to open note window with myNote

end tell

Did you try adding activate as the last line of your script?

Op, that fixed it. For some reason it makes the script editor hang indefinitely on my machine, but exported out as an application it works fine. Thanks for the tip!

open note window with myNote

activate

end tell

This is an old thread, but I also would like this feature or something similar.  Specifically - I would like Evernote to email me a random note from a specific notebook, tag or stack on a set schedule.  

I have two main uses for it.

#1 - Daily Quote:  I use Evernote to store quotes that are meaningful to me.  I would love to get a daily email containing a random note from my "Quotes" notebook.

#2 - Daily Journal:  I also use Evernote as a journal, and I would love to get a daily email with a random journal entry from the past.  I love looking back at notes and such from the past.  For this, I would want an email containing a random note from my "Journal / Writing" stack.

Anyone have any ideas how to do this?

EVERNOTE TEAM - any possibility here?

I've looked at various services (IFFT, Zapier, etc.) but none of them seem to have the ability to email a note OUT of Evernote.  Lots of options to get various content into Evernote, not many options for getting it out.  

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, cctiger2 said:

This is an old thread, but I also would like this feature or something similar.  Specifically - I would like Evernote to email me a random note from a specific notebook, tag or stack on a set schedule.  

I have two main uses for it.

#1 - Daily Quote:  I use Evernote to store quotes that are meaningful to me.  I would love to get a daily email containing a random note from my "Quotes" notebook.

#2 - Daily Journal:  I also use Evernote as a journal, and I would love to get a daily email with a random journal entry from the past.  I love looking back at notes and such from the past.  For this, I would want an email containing a random note from my "Journal / Writing" stack.

Anyone have any ideas how to do this?

EVERNOTE TEAM - any possibility here?

I've looked at various services (IFFT, Zapier, etc.) but none of them seem to have the ability to email a note OUT of Evernote.  Lots of options to get various content into Evernote, not many options for getting it out.  

Take a look at Reflect and see if it works for this type of scenario https://www.reflectapp.io/

Just remember to set the number of "how many times would you like each note to occur" to the lowest number.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, cctiger2 said:

Which platform?  

I could script this on my Mac

On 5/14/2010 at 12:48 AM, Philip Constantinou said:

Xavier,

I know what you mean. On my Mac, I set my random image screensaver directory to my Evernote database directory so whenever my screensaver comes on I see random notes floating by. There's probably a way to hook something like this up on Windows as well.

This is a very old comment but I would love to be able to point my mac screensaver to an evernote notebook. Is this possible? I've been poking around and haven't found a way to point it at evernote at all.

Thank you!