(Archived) 0.15 seconds for each letter typed

dtstutz

Idea

When I type directly into Evernote, it takes over 0.15 seconds for each character to show up in the editor. That means when I type a long sentence, I have to wait a few seconds for it to catch up. It's annoying when I have spelling mistakes but can't correct them until the rest of the sentence shows up. I think this has been a problem for months, but it seems quite noticeable more recently.

I have a 2 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo Mac Mini with 4 GB memory, which is otherwise plenty fast. I'm a power user so maybe some software I have installed is interacting with Evernote. Quitting RescueTime and Flux didn't fix it though. I have Evernote for Mac version 2.1.1 (146398). There's no crazy background syncing or virus-checking going on that I know of. Completely exiting the application with Win-Q and restarting it doesn't fix the problem.

2 replies to this idea

After upgrading try:

Look at your Activity Monitor in Utilities and sort by %CPU to see if something is hogging your Mac. It could be EN!

In EN go to Help > Activity log and see what happening

Then use this fab program: fseventer for Mac. It will show you all the disk/file activity on your Mac.

I have had this issue mainly caused by EN repeatedly attempting to create a thumbnail image for a corrupt note.

Help > Activity Log will show you what EN is doing. You should be able to see the name of the note that is causing the issue.

Open the note in Preview and save it to the desktop. Delete the note in EN fully. Add the note back in from the desktop. That should solve that issue.

Archived