(Archived) Evernote on Lion FYI

Eseifan

Idea

A note to the Evernote team:

Evernote works fine on OS X 10.7 Lion, except for one (important) point: when clipping from a browser (Safari or Firefox) to the Evernote client using the the standard ⌘C and then ⌃⌘V shortcuts, the text is copied into Evernote only once the programme is brought to the foreground. If you keep Evernote in the background, nothing is clipped, so I have to keep switching between Safari and Evernote. The problem persists in Evernote 2.2 RC.

I don’t know if this is a problem with Lion or something is wrong with my configuration (it worked just fine under Snow Leopard). Now I’m not expecting the Evernote team to support a beta OS, so I’m posting this as a bug report. That said, if there is anything I could do to restore the good behavior (notes clipped with Evernote in the background), that information would be most welcome.

18 replies to this idea

I’ve just discovered something weird: one way to make Evernote create a note from text copied from the browser while it is in the background is to change the keyboard input menu between different languages (I usually use French, which fits the keyboard, but have Arabic and Turkish on standby). In other words, switching the keyboard input language produces the same effect as bringing the Evernote client to the foreground.

Oh! I didn't realize that I needed your permission to post my opinion.

Different name, same attitude.

JMiU: Unrelated & rude? How so? How does that differ from your comment to metrodon, which I consider unrelated & rude?

Stalking? Really??? Please substantiate. Burden of proof & all that jazz.

I’ve just discovered something weird: one way to make Evernote create a note from text copied from the browser while it is in the background is to change the keyboard input menu between different languages (I usually use French, which fits the keyboard, but have Arabic and Turkish on standby). In other words, switching the keyboard input language produces the same effect as bringing the Evernote client to the foreground.

Weird :lol: but not all that useful for most of Evernote's 10 million users I wouldn't have thought!

Perhaps not, but it could be useful to the Evernote team as they try to work their way around this problem.

• Level 5*
Of course you don't, but you just seem to be trying to cause an argument for no reason. Very strange.

I'm not sure where you get that idea. I see no basis for your assertion.

If there is an argument, it is of your making, not mine.

I'm not arguing. I'm simply making observations and suggestions.

If you don't agree with them, that's fine.

• Level 5*
Not quite sure why you needed to chime in.

Oh! I didn't realize that I needed your permission to post my opinion.

Of course you don't, but you just seem to be trying to cause an argument for no reason. Very strange.

Anyway, it seems that we are all actually in agreement.

• Level 5*

Weird :lol: but not all that useful for most of Evernote's 10 million users I wouldn't have thought!

• Level 5*
I’ve tried to re-downlaod the Evernote plugin for Safari but nothing changed. On Firefox, the browser clipper works fine, but the same problem persists when using keyboard short cuts.

Well, we know there are substantial changes in Safari so it's not all that surprising. At least the FF clipper allows you to keep working.

• Level 5*
Evernote have said a few times that they will only support an OS once it becomes generally available, so I doubt that you will get much help..

The OP stated that support was not expected.

But it seems to me that it might help the Evernote dev team as they prepare to support Lion for anyone to post issues they have found in using Evernote Mac with Lion.

It's like having a free testing/QA team. :wink:

And I said he was right not to expect any help, but that the bug report will probably help them.

Not quite sure why you needed to chime in.

• Level 5*
Evernote have said a few times that they will only support an OS once it becomes generally available, so I doubt that you will get much help..

The OP stated that support was not expected.

But it seems to me that it might help the Evernote dev team as they prepare to support Lion for anyone to post issues they have found in using Evernote Mac with Lion.

It's like having a free testing/QA team. :wink:

It seems that all other clipping methods are disabled. The elephant button has disappeared from the Safari toolbar and is nowhere to be found (looked in the “personalize toolbar” menu, it’s not there). And all reference to Evernote has vanished from the contextual menus in Safari.

• Level 5*

Evernote have said a few times that they will only support an OS once it becomes generally available, so I doubt that you will get much help.

The bug report will probably help them though.

Archived