(Archived) Evernote for MacOS 2.2 Prerelease

Philip Constantinou

Idea

Hi folks -

We've published another update to Evernote's MacOS client. Here's the run down of what's new.

Snippets: Like the iPhone and Android client, we've incorporated snippet view. The mixed view is now replaced by the snippet view. Snippets provide much higher information density than the current mixed view, make it easier to get useful information out of brief text notes, and help to distinguish the type of content in the note. We're excited to see that MacOS 10.7 (Lion) has also added snippets to the new Mail client. In the most recent update we've addressed some problems with snippets including displaying the encrypted data of a snippet in the snippet list.

Notes menu: As we've been adding more functionality to the Mac client, it seemed useful to add a Note menu. The notes menu is similar to the content in the context menus available from the note list.

Back/Forward tool bar buttons for browsing your navigation history is now available in the single note view. Long press on the Back or Forward button in the single note or main menu to see the titles of the notes you've previously viewed.

Improved drag and drop: You can drag notes to the desktop create ENEX export. You can drag and drop a note into another note in a single note view to create a note link.

You can download the beta now at:

http://s.evernote.com/mac2preview

10 replies to this idea

Again, I beg of you: bring back the mixed view, at least as an option!!!!!!!!!

I really strongly disagree with your assertions about how shiny and cool the snippet view supposedly is, and I'm definitely not the only one.

Please? B)

• Level 5*
We've published another update to Evernote's MacOS client. Here's the run down of what's new.

Thanks for the update.

Would you be so kind as to list the specific differences with the last update:

Version 2.2 Beta 3 (06/03/2011) build 151504

Based on your post and the Release Notes I didn't see any changes, but I probably missed them.

Thanks.

• Level 5*

Here is today's release and the previous one.

viewtopic.php?f=38&t=26910

Version 2.2.0 RC (06/09/2011) build 152864

Navigation history menus on Back/Forward buttons

Note operations consolidated into a new 'Note' menu

Following a note link in a single note window now opens the note in that window

Snippet View bug fixes

Dragging a note to another note now generates a note link in the destination note

Dragging notes to the Finder now generates an XML note export file

Misc. bug fixes

Version 2.2 Beta 3 (06/03/2011) build 151504

New Back/Forward navigation controls in toolbar, View menu.

Mixed View has changed to Snippet View.

• Level 5*

Thanks for trying to help metrodon, but as I indicated I had already reviewed the Release Notes.

I don't see any changes between Ver 2.2 RC and Ver 2.2 Beta (1-3).

You have to look at all of the Beta Release Notes to understand the features as of Beta 3.

I was hoping that pconstantinou could share with us any specific changes between Beta 3 and the RC.

Thanks.

• Level 5*

I'm guessing that the core functionality remains the same, plus some bug fixes. If there was anything else major to say, I'm sure it would be in there.

I don't know if it's related to a change between the beta and V2.2, but the beta was running happily, and the new version froze within seconds, and now won't work at all (yes, I've raised a support ticket).

Edit: Support responded, and it's sorted out and working OK now.

Encrypt Selected Text is completely non functional for me in this build. I can't encrypt any new data (select Encrypt Selected Text, nothing happens) and an existing note that was encrypted is no longer working (encrypt/un-encrypt).

I don't know if it's related to a change between the beta and V2.2, but the beta was running happily, and the new version froze within seconds, and now won't work at all (yes, I've raised a support ticket).

Edit: Support responded, and it's sorted out and working OK now.

What was the fix? I'm running into the same problem. Previous betas worked fine, this latest one hangs for ~55 seconds when I start it up AND I create a new Note. Slllllooooooowwwww. I force-quit it a few times thinking that it had crashed. If I'm REALLY patient and wait for it to respond, it eventually comes back and let's me...you know...actually get work done.

I'm using Version 2.2.0 RC (152864). All of my notebooks are "synchronized notebooks".

After making sure that everything was synced, I uninstalled Evernote. I used AppCleaner to make sure all the bits were removed, but Support had suggested AppTrap. They then said I should reboot, and install the current version of EN for Mac from the EN site. I did that, and it was all working OK, so after a while I updated to the latest beta again, and it's been fine since. (Note that any local notes need to be saved separately as they, and anything not yet synced will be lost doing this.)

That sorted out the problem with hanging, but didn't make any difference to the notes that weren't showing. Finding them on the web version and editing them (just adding a blank line or some minor change like that) then syncing again seemed to fix it. Luckily there weren't many notes affected.

• Level 5*

Thanks for all of the great new features that have been recently added.

The "Copy Note" and "Note Links" are very useful.

Unfortunately, it seems that the Mac is missing some basic features.

It is not clear what the intent/plan is for the Mac client, but for the record the following features are missing from the Mac client but have been in the Windows client for at least 6 months, some of them since the Windows 4.0 client was released in Oct 2010:

1. [*:14g33t7q]Show/Hide the Note List (F11 in EN Win)
    [*:14g33t7q]Show/Hide the Left Panel of Notebooks/Tags/etc (F10 in EN Win)
    [*:14g33t7q]Show/Hide the Note Editing Panel (CTRL-F11 in EN Win)
    [*:14g33t7q]Tags column is not available in Note List
    [*:14g33t7q]Edit definition of Saved Search
    [*:14g33t7q]Table Structure: Add/Delete Rows and Columns
    [*:14g33t7q]Assign Tags Dialog (CTRL-ALT-T in EN Win)
    [*:14g33t7q]Copy Image (right-click on image and select "copy") -- intermittent

None of these are new, major features that have been recently added to the Widows 4 client.

I understand that when new features are deployed it can take a while to get the other clients updated.

But in this case only the Windows and Mac clients are involved, and it seems like 6 months is a reasonable amount of time to get into the Mac client.

Some of them have been identified by other posters in other threads.

I thought perhaps it would be helpful to all to see the complete list of missing basic features in one place.

We have a new team in place that is trying to use and learn Evernote.

Some are using the Windows client and some the Mac client.

In general, it's a great tool.

But the missing features on the Mac are causing a lot of confusion, and complicates both training and workflow.

It would be most helpful if you could add these to the Mac soon.

Thanks.

Archived