(Archived) how to copy all tags from a note to another note?

hi,

lets say, i get a mail every week which is automaticly forwarded to my EN account.

i then tag this new note (note N) with a lot of tags, which are the same tags, i tagged the older notes (note O).

this is a lot of work and i don't like to spend time on things, which i had done before.

so, my whish/question is:

how can i copy all the tags from an older note (note O) to a new one (note N)? (of course, in a bunch, not bit by bit)

things i tried (on my MAC):

-export note O with tags, import note O again so i have a dupe of note O. copy the content of note N to the dupe of note O. => worst method, i think.

-marked all tags in the note O (i can select all the tags with the mouse) and dragged it to note N.

=> nothing happend. (but i like the idea of dragging tags from one note to another)

anybody an other idea? which actually has not more then 3 steps and works :)

in the old days, when i used a great DOS Mailboxing-program called "Crosspoint", i could simply change the subject by adding something like #this #that #foo #bar to the subject and then forward it automaticly to the EN account. but today, i just use my mailproviders forwarding options, where i can't change anything.

any idea could be a help.

cheers,

• Level 5*

Click on the tag list on note O as if you are adding a new tag - you can then highlight and copy all the tags that are there and then paste them onto note N - works on a Mac, don't know about Windows.

Click on the tag list on note O as if you are adding a new tag - you can then highlight and copy all the tags that are there and then paste them onto note N - works on a Mac, don't know about Windows.

Great tip!

Unfortunately it does NOT work on EN Win as far as I can tell.

• Level 5*

Thanks - the apps are and always will be different across the platforms.

I think they will endeavour to have the same major functionality (for example note links, back buttons, stacks etc etc) across everything (eventually) - but there are always going to be differences. Sometimes these will be caused by difficulties with a specific platform (rich text on iOS for example), other times it will be design decisions (currently, they don't use the Function keys on a Mac as Function keys - this is pretty much inline with most OS X apps, but they do use them on Windows) and lots of times I'd guess it's because if resources.

If they wanted to write exactly the same app then maybe they'd have chosen Java as the platform for the desktop clients, although Java has plenty of it's own problems - write once, use 95% of your CPU everywhere.

The reality though is that this is a pretty small team supporting a growing user base with a vast number if use cases. Expecting everything to run inline with each other is I believe to be unrealistic. What we do know is that this is obviously a highly skilled and well marshalled development team who are clearly not just sitting on their arses twiddling their thumbs - we can tell this just on the frequency of new releases. It's also very clear that they have a clear direction, it might not always be the one that we like but it is the one they are going to take.

Thanks - the apps are and always will be different across the platforms.

I think they will endeavour to have the same major functionality (for example note links, back buttons, stacks etc etc) across everything (eventually) - but there are always going to be differences.

While I agree that there will always be some differences just due to the OS UI differences, there is really no excuse IMO for there to be differences in the feature set between EN Win and EN Mac, other than for a short (< 1 month) transistion period when new features are being deployed.

But, this thread is not really the place to have this involved discussion about a topic that seems to be controversial.

The point of my previous post was simply to advise any EN Win users that this "copy all tags" feature does not seem to be available on EN Win at this time.

• Level 5*

We have had this discussion before. It's pretty straightforward, and goes something like this:

* Hey, this feature is in client X but not in client Y

* Correct: the various platforms move at different speeds in implementing certain common features; this may be one of those cases.

* Hey, that's that's not wonderful

* True, but what can we (the users) do about it?

* Nothing really, but sometimes it helps if you calmly remind Evernote about a discrepancy when you notice it; sometimes it's inadvertent. Aside from that, behaviors like whinging, hand-wringing, calling it "unbelievable", "inexcusable" or the like are just exercises in melodramatics, and are probably not helpful.

We have had this discussion before.

So why are you wasting everyone's time and adding clutter to this thread only to repeat yourself?

What value are you adding to this discussion?

In fact I was trying to avoid just such a side-debate by stating: "But, this thread is not really the place to have this involved discussion about a topic that seems to be controversial".

But you seem to want to debate everthing.

Aside from that, behaviors like whinging, hand-wringing, calling it "unbelievable", "inexcusable" or the like are just exercises in melodramatics, and are probably not helpful.

Your post is the one that is not helpful.

I did NOT do any other the things you stated in this thread.

You seem to be following me around the EN forums just to make arguments against most of my posts.

I don't believe this is useful or helpful to anyone.

• Level 5
Aside from that, behaviors like whinging, hand-wringing, calling it "unbelievable", "inexcusable" or the like are just exercises in melodramatics, and are probably not helpful.

What's the reason for throwing in this comment?

The original post as well as the responses were quite civil and helpful.

• Level 5*

What's the reason for throwing in this comment?

The original post as well as the responses were quite civil and helpful.

This is behavior I have observed over the time I've been here, and I believe it to be indeed unhelpful, without meaning to be ironic, sarcastic, or otherwise pointing a finger at anyone.

• Level 5*

So why are you wasting everyone's time and adding clutter to this thread only to repeat yourself?

In fact I was trying to avoid just such a side-debate by stating: "But, this thread is not really the place to have this involved discussion about a topic that seems to be controversial".

You seem to be following me around the EN forums just to make arguments against most of my posts.

Erm, just earlier on today :)

viewtopic.php?f=38&t=25560

On my Mac, however, right-click only gives me the options to rename or delete the saved search. Is there a way to modify the saved search string so it doesn't have to be deleted and created again from scratch? Even this wouldn't be so bad if there was a way to copy/paste the syntax.

CONFIRMED: I see the same behavior in the latest EN Mac version 2.2 Beta 3.

This is unbelievable. This is yet another basic EN feature (has been en EN Win for a long time) that is missing from EN Mac.

Is anyone at Evernote keeping track of feature consistency between EN Win and EN Mac?

@metrodon: I fail to see any relevance to your last post.

@jefito: I haven't seen Dave Engberg around lately, but I'm pretty sure he has cautioned against making posts like the ones you just made. He has often stated that we all should refrain from commenting on the motives of others and keep on the topic of Evernote.

If any of you feel I have made inappropriate remarks, then I invite you to send me a PM rather than polluting the thread with remarks that no one else is really interested in. This is for the benefit of all, as well as just being courteous. These off-topic remarks make it very difficult for all readers to follow the technical content of the thread.

Finally, two questions that I believe everyone should ask themselves before posting here:

1. Am I being helpful?

2. Am I being professional?

• Level 5*

Are you disputing that we've had the discussions on the same topic before? I wanted to spare us from having another, because they often follow the script I presented.

Great. I am looking for that new topic that you want to start but haven't. Meanwhile, since I believe that this doesn't require "involved discussion", nor is it particularly "controversial", I felt it worthy of comment.

At the risk of making this sound self-fulfilling, you know very well that I don't (and please don't weasel around your use of "seem to").

Do you disagree with the idea that the behavior that I named is unhelpful?

Please substantiate anywhere where I said that you did.

Please substantiate this (and ditto the above comment about "seem to"). A simple count of and references to threads and where I disagree with one or more of your posts in a non-constructive way (or does constructive discussion, e.g. clarification / amplification count as "making arguments"?) vs. the count of and reference to threads where I don't (including threads of yours where I do not post at all, threads where I reply to you constructively, or threads where I post but do not disagree with you, or threads where I post but you haven't), over whatever recent time period you choose, ought to suffice. If you can't back it up, then please retract it.

You're allowed to believe what you want.

thanks! unfortunately (for me), as i read this, i remember, that i did this some times, but decided that there is not time nor mouseclicks/keystrokes saved.

i really would like to have something more intuitive while its easy to use: drag&drop tags from Note O to Note N. voila.

thank you guys too, for pointing out the Obvious, the support can consider this as a feature request, if they consider it to be a good idea. if not, there are some ways to do the job. not as convenient, as i'd like to have it, but the work can be done.

• Level 5*
@jefito: I haven't seen Dave Engberg around lately, but I'm pretty sure he has cautioned against making posts like the ones you just made. He has often stated that we all should refrain from commenting on the motives of others and keep on the topic of Evernote.

Again, I ask you to substantiate where I comment on the motives of other individuals.

If any of you feel I have made inappropriate remarks, then I invite you to send me a PM rather than polluting the thread with remarks that no one else is really interested in. This is for the benefit of all, as well as just being courteous. These off-topic remarks make it very difficult for all readers to follow the technical content of the thread.

Umm, I think that you ought to at least try to model the behavior that you wish others to exhibit. It's been a number of hours since you *publicly* accused me of bird-dogging you, and my PM inbox stands empty of messages from you.

• Level 5*

thanks! unfortunately (for me), as i read this, i remember, that i did this some times, but decided that there is not time nor mouseclicks/keystrokes saved.

i really would like to have something more intuitive while its easy to use: drag&drop tags from Note O to Note N. voila.

thank you guys too, for pointing out the Obvious, the support can consider this as a feature request, if they consider it to be a good idea. if not, there are some ways to do the job. not as convenient, as i'd like to have it, but the work can be done.

Actually, just tried it and you can cmd+a, cmd+c and cmd+v as well as using the mouse.

Actually, just tried it and you can cmd+a, cmd+c and cmd+v as well as using the mouse.

Actually, i just tried it again, and it worked on the Mac-EN-client.

It does not work on the Windows-EN-client, because it seems, that there is no way to select the Tags in the tagline all at once.

i misunderstood your first advice to go to the tags list on the left side navigation, and not on the tag list on top of every note. fortunately, you did wrote your last post :-))

so thank you very much.

I use both the Windows and Mac clients. As far as I can tell, the trick to copy tags out of the "tag line" on a note works on the mac, but not windows. HOWEVER - there is a work-around that I use all the time to copy tags from one note to another in the Windows Client.

1. Select both the note containing the tags to copy AND the note you want to copy the tags to (this can be multiple notes).

2. Bring up the Tag dialog box (Ctrl+Alt+T)

3. Make sure the "Hide unassigned tags" check box is CHECKED. You should now see JUST the tags assigned to the note you are copying from. The checkboxes are gray because they are checked for the one note, but not the other.

4. Hit Select All and then OK.

It sounds like a lot of steps, but once you get the hang of it, you can copy/assign tags REALLY quickly, and to multiple notes at once. I routinely use this to copy tags from one note to several at once, as I tend to be lazy about entering tags as I create notes so I periodically need to clean things up by getting my notes tagged.

You can also be selective about it -- instead of Select All, just check the individual tags you want to copy. So you could copy 3 of the tags from a note and not copy the rest. Very flexible. I never used to use the Tags dialog box till I discovered this trick.

I skimmed most of the posts in this thread since it didn't seem that they were relevant to the original question, so apologies if this solution was already suggested and I missed it.

• Level 5*
I skimmed most of the posts in this thread since it didn't seem that they were relevant to the original question, so apologies if this solution was already suggested and I missed it.

Yeah, that's a good tip and I don't think it was suggested in here either. Sorry for the thread noise...

Archived